The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I will kill the person who gives the go ahead to this movie

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#49103  by Tessian
 Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:08 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>hmmm..... I don't think this will be a good move, but I'll be interested to see how it turns out. There IS a chance for them to even make it Good</div>

#49104  by Eric
 Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:27 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Akira is actually one of the few Animes I could see translated correctly from Anime to Big Screen. DBZ wouldn't do it right, dunno about Gundam. Sailor Moon? HELL no. :P</div>

#49105  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:29 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>*SMACK* It's a travesty, period</div>

#49106  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:33 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>*shakes head* No chance in hell. They would need a $80+ mil budget to get close (Starship Troopers had that) and that means Hollywood formula, which destroys any chance</div>

#49113  by Gone to Shakers
 Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:30 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>With todays technology, they could do a fairly good job with it I think.</div>

#49114  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:41 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Read my reply to Tessian</div>

#49115  by SineSwiper
 Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:03 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>I would feel better if Fox did the remake. I don't know about WB's track record, but it might be good. I won't knock it, especially with good transistions like Resident Evil, X-Men, and Blade.</div>

#49120  by Zeus
 Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:23 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Am I the only sane person here who sees this is a bastardization waiting to happen? The chances of this film being anywhere close to the original are very slim to none. Just no chance in hell, the masses won't accept such a fucked story. They'd have to bastardize it, especially with the budget</div>

#49121  by WolfSamurai
 Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:52 am
<div style='font: 14pt Agatha; text-align: left; '>Stranger things have happen. I'm not expecting it to be any good, but I'm at least willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.</div>

#49123  by SineSwiper
 Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:29 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Actually, I think the industry is beginning to realize that producing shit like Wing Commander and Street Fighter: The Movie (which turned back into a game) doesn't make them that much money.</div>

#49124  by SineSwiper
 Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:33 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>You tell me why they need a huge budget. ST had spaceships, CGI bugs, and heads getting decapitated, (and lots of all three) which cost money. Akira needs some motorcycle scenes and a few light shows.</div>

#49128  by Kupek
 Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:58 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Having never seen Akira, I just don't care.</div>

#49134  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:54 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>A bit, yes. But the main problem is, look at all the decent game/comic to movie translations, none are anywhere close to the complexity and strangeness of the Akira storyline. That's not an accident</div>

#49135  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:58 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>*shakes his head* Dear God, man! Look at a movie like Moulin Rogue. It had a $52.5mil budget (www.imdb.com if you don't believe me) and all it had were broadway-level sets and costumes. What do you think a movie like Akira, which screams for TONS of CG and bluescreen, will cost to make it look good?</div>

#49136  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:59 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>In your case, i can understand that. But I know most people here have seen it and I can't be the only one who sees this as a bastardization waiting to happen</div>