The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• How much will a David Cronenberg film fuck you up? If you're lucky, it'll ONLY make you spontaneously sprout vaginas, and then pump them full with its mutant sperm.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #50673  by Stephen
 Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:04 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>David Cronenberg. Anyone else ever heard of him? His is the insane directorial genius behind such masterpiece-of-mindfuck films as The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Fly, Dead Ringers, and Crash. Maybe you've seen his most recent effort, the fascinating yet flawed videogame/virtual reality flick, Existenz. In that film, characters interact in the mother of all multiplayer games by inserting an umbilical cord into an orifice at the base of the spine (a "bioport"), which looks suspiciously like a second anus. Jude Law even sticks his tongue in one. (The violation of flesh is a pervasive theme in many of Cronenberg's films.)

I love a lot of Cronenberg's films, and I encourage all of you to go and try a few of them sometime. Start with The Fly (the Jeff Goldblum version), as it's probably the one most of you are familiar with, and then slowly work your way up to Videodrome (starring a much younger James Woods). What happens in that movie--well, I wouldn't dream of revealing it. You have to find out for yourself.

Oh, yeah, and just in case you're wondering, yes, Scanners is the one where the guy's head explodes.</div>

#50674  by Gentz
 Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:24 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Yeah, I've always loved The Fly and I enjoyed Existenz too. I didn't know they were by the same guy. I'm gonna check this out.</div>

#50675  by Zeus
 Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:35 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Scanners and The Fly rule, Existenz and Crash blew heavy chunks. The others I haven't seen yet aside from a bit of Scanners, but not enough to form an opinion</div>

#50679  by Nev
 Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:49 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I saw Dead Ringers. It was...it defies description. If you've used your brain to even try to understand who the main characters are, it's too late for you.</div>

#50684  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:40 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Yeah, I saw Existenz on Sci-Fi. Definately weird and kinda cool.</div>