The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Eric, didnt you say barbershop was a good clean fun movie?  All i keep hearing is how racial slurs in it are pissing everyone off.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#51405  by Eric
 Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:32 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>The only people it pissed off were Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Other then that I fail to see how it can offend anybody. There were no jokes pretaining to white people or any other group. It was a clean movie.</div>

#51409  by Flip
 Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:31 am
<div style='font: 12pt "Cooper Black"; text-align: left; '>something about Rosa Parks not being a black hero? ouch... that wont win you friends...</div>
 #51410  by Eric
 Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:22 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Cedric the Entertainer, plays this old black barber who sits in the barbershop and basically just talks and cuts jokes and preachs all day long. In an old fashioned barbershop this is actually realistic. :)

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton believe that a black movie with black actors shouldn't make fun of black activists and such. They're above all that riiiiiiight? Riiiiiight..... Whatever. The black community was crying laughing in the theater I went too but that's another story.

Bascially they're up there talking and Cedric said "Rosa parks is just a black woman who sat her ass down on a bus and got arrested, tons of people did it back in the day and she only got notice because she knew Martin Luthor King!" The entire barbershop in in disagree, but again he's still supporting is claim, which is quite humorous. Then another old black man in the barbershop gets up and started ranting about how he won't let Cedric sit up and talk about Rosa parks, how Rosa Parks is a hero, and how if the good Rev. Jesse Jackson was there right now he wouldn't stand for it. Cedric looks....looks.....and looks again, and then responds "FUCK Jesse Jackson!"

The entire theater cracks up laughing, and so did the barbershop.

Jesse Jackson and Company believe they should be above comedy, whatever, as a black person I found this shit funny as hell. Not only because..well it was funny. But because that kinda stuff really does get talked about in barbershops. :)

At the very end of the movie in maybe a 20 second scene he talks about how Martin Luthor King was a hoe. Like literally he went out whoring and getting tons of women and such. And says Martin Luthor King day should be a day of sex. There are rumors even Martin Luthor King in all his glory messed around, but I never did my research so I couldn't tell ya.</div>

#51411  by SineSwiper
 Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:28 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Cedric the Entertainer? Well, sheeeeeit! He's nothing BUT a racial slur.</div>

#51424  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:37 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>They aren't racial slurs. They are the controversial views held by one of the idiot characters (the old barber), that's not shared by the people who wrote the movie or are starring in it...</div>

#51425  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:38 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>They aren't racial slurs.  They are the controversial views held by one of the idiot characters (the old barber), which incidentally, is not shared by the people who wrote the movie or those starring in it...</div>