The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• *sigh* Being a part of marching band for 4 years I see that if this movie wasn't 85% black actors it would have had potential...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #51792  by Tessian
 Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:18 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/druml ... rumline</a>

It's not anything racist-- it's the fact that the movie is a black teen movie, not about drumline. Substitute drumline for football, basketball, or any other competitive team sport and you've got the same damned movie.

So much potential ruined...</div>

#51793  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:55 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Say what?????</div>

#51794  by Eric
 Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:51 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Well Barbershop was a realistic protrayal of a black barbershop. This is a black college the main character is black, maybe it'll be a realistic presentation of a black marching band. Sorry it doesn't appeal to ya white boy. :P But seriously what do you expect?</div>
 #51795  by Tessian
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:01 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>this is just your generic black teens in a competitive team sport movie. Barbershop was Suppoed to focus on black barbershops. This movie says it's about drumlines but it's just about black teen culture; the drumline aspect is easily forgotten / replaced.

And it's not a black college, it's just 85%+ black :)</div>

#51796  by Eric
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:24 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Well I'd say the movie focuses more about the newbie joining that band, the pros and cons he'll recieve and the challenges he'll face. Just look at it first. PG-13 rating guarentees nobody gets shot for no reason at the end. :P</div>

#51797  by Gentz
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:33 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Tessian, you are such an idiot sometimes that it astounds me.</div>
 #51800  by Tessian
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:40 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I didn't simply say "it's a black movie about a drumline-- how stupid" I explained myself in as politically correct a sense as I could and if you think there's something wrong with what I said why don't you say it instead of just calling me names like a 15 year old?</div>
 #51802  by Gentz
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:50 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I'm sorry for insulting you. I was just reading a bit quickly and I read your message as "instead of a movie about drumlines it's a movie about black drumlines" but it's actually more like "instead of a movie about drumlines, it's a teen movie that happens to have a drumline in it." And that's a valid point, I think.

No excuses, I was just being an idiot. Sorry, man.

btw, I'm gonna clean up the posts down below, but I'll keep this one up for reference :)</div>

#51803  by Kupek
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:42 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Wow. (And you're not kidding about this one.)</div>

#51804  by Kupek
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:46 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>No. You did not say "Too bad this movie is a dumb teen movie and not about drumline," you said "Too bad this is a black teen movie with 85% black actors that's not about drumline."</div>

#51805  by G-man Joe
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:59 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>I suppose, now that you mention it, it's got a targeted audience : African Amrican Teens. Even if it was about Asian American teens in a Karate Club, I still woudn't watch it. Unless there was some sort of frontal nudity of a hot girl. =8^D</div>

#51806  by Gentz
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:59 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Well, the thing is that the "black factor" isn't really relevant to what he's saying. Essentially, what he's saying isn't racist, he just picked a stupid way to say it</div>
 #51808  by Tessian
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:18 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I spent the past 4 years of my life in a marching band and this is the first attempt to make a movie based on it but the whole marching band aspect gets hidden and tossed aside and I hate to see that happen because most likely this movie will kill anyone's interest in any other marching band-ish movies to come (if they come).

*sigh* I wish someone would make a movie about the zany psychotic sousaphone section...my past 4 years in that section would make one hell of a movie :P</div>

#51809  by Tessian
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:25 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>LoL I dunno...what was the rating of that Keenau Reeves pee-wee baseball movie where the little kid got shot?</div>

#51810  by EsquE
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:41 pm
<div style='font: 14pt Calligrapher; text-align: left; '>Amen brutha!!</div>

#51812  by Kupek
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:56 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>"Stupid" as in racist way to say it. If his intent is not racist, but his words are, I think that betrays something.</div>

#51813  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:25 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I assumed you were essentially saying "If the movie wasn't 85% black actors it would have had potential", for a second there I thought you were saying that you weren't going to watch the movie based on the reason that 85% of the actors are black.</div>

#51814  by ManaMan
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:42 pm
<div style='font: 12pt "Courier New"; text-align: left; '>Black teens make up what, 4% of the population at most? If they were just trying to appeal to that audience then they shouldn't plan on making much money... alot of great movies go unnoticed btw.</div>

#51815  by Tessian
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:20 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>what the bloody hell are you insinuating?</div>

#51816  by Tessian
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:26 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I see how what I said could be taken that way; sorry for the misleading title</div>

#51817  by SineSwiper
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:31 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>What is racist about pointing out blaxplotation?</div>

#51818  by Eric
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:32 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>.....good point.....damn I don't know. I give up on those movies.</div>

#51819  by Eric
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:33 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>That your wording sucked.</div>

#51820  by SineSwiper
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:34 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Hell, look at Bring It On. It's black vs. white. Wouldn't that be considered racist?</div>

#51821  by Eric
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:35 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>blaxplotation?</div>

#51823  by Eric
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:37 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>The movie where the prodminate upper class white school stole the cheers, and the black school responded by getting into the cheerleading competition to prove they're better then the thieves? No, that's far from racism.</div>

#51825  by Gentz
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:13 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I agree. But just because it's Tessian we're talking about : )</div>
 #51829  by kali o.
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:34 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Heh, racist or not...sounds like a stupid movie.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go continue to help structure the system to opress and manipulate minorities...

The Man-</div>

#51831  by Ishamael
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:07 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Oh brother. Too dumb to even comment on really (yet I just did anyway)....</div>

#51832  by Kupek
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:42 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Well, you said something racist... I think I'm insinuating that you're racist.</div>

#51833  by Kupek
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:45 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>That was the '70s, Sine. I think that blacks are rather underepresented in movies.</div>

#51834  by Kupek
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:47 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Lemme guess: you haven't seen the movie.</div>
 #51836  by Tessian
 Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:05 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>How DARE YOU call me that! I can't make a distinction between races without being called racist?! Could I have worded that thread better? After everyone's reaction apparantly so but it was not to be taken that way. I did not mean that because the actors were black that the movie would suck; I meant that the fact that the cast is so homogonous they focus on the black teen culture (and yes there's a difference between black teen culture and white teen culture-- that's why I pointed it out) and lose focus on what the movie is supposed to be about-- a drumline. It can just as easily happen if the cast was 85% white or asian or whatever race you want to pick and saying that does not make me racist. You took what I said as a racial thing to say, yet anyone else I show the thread to and ask doesn't think so.

rac·ism
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

1-- I hope I don't have to explain how I obviously don't believe that.
2-- am I being prejudice or discriminating? Hell no; if I'm prejudice against any group it's stupid people and that I'll admit openly.

You've got some fucking nerve to say that and after my justified swearing I have laid out why your harmful (and hurtful) remark is wrong.

that was a low brow card to pull; I thought you were above such things.

I guess I was wrong</div>

#51837  by Eric
 Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:07 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Well come on, that's a given. :)</div>

#51839  by G-man Joe
 Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:58 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Sine doesn't have much to go on in just about everything he says.</div>

#51840  by G-man Joe
 Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:01 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>In Movieland, all Asians know karate and are typically villains on fast bikes. =8^P</div>

#51841  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:13 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>That's essentially the same as Canada, which is kind of scary considering like 20-25% of our population is Asian (I could be wrong on that stat, just going on the area's I've lived) =P</div>
 #51842  by Kupek
 Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:00 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Now, the question is <i>why</i> did you say something racist, if you didn't mean it? Well, it could be that you're racist. Maybe you don't realize it. It's possible. It might not be "let's go lynch some people" racist, but something more sublte. Basically, I'm wondering if the it was a true slip-up, or if it came from somewhere.</div>
 #51844  by Tessian
 Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:14 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>It depends on how you took it-- when I said "if the movie wasn't 85% black actors it would have had potential" I said that because the cast was so homogonous that it lost it's meaning and went elsewhere. You obviously took it as me saying that because the movie is composed of black actors it sucks and that's obviously not true.

I can't be racist if what I was trying to say wasn't racist at all. Could it have been worded better? yes, but that doesn't make it racist.</div>
 #51845  by Agent 57
 Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:55 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>The fact that Kupek was able to interpret what you said as racist means that yes, your subject line - in and of itself - was a racist comment.

"*sigh* Being a part of marching band for 4 years I see that if this movie wasn't 85% black actors it would have had potential."

Taking that sentence on its own and <i>out of context,</i> it is a racist comment. The logical conclusion that Kupek (and myself as well) drew while reading that sentence is that you thought the movie wasn't good because it was 85% black actors. Since it was the subject line of the post it caught people's attention, and even though you did sort of explain what you meant in the body of that post and in the subsequent posts, the fact remains that you did write a comment that could be interpreted as a racist one. Remember, you're the only one who knows exactly what you're thinking, and if you write something that gets interpreted by other people to mean something other than what you meant it to say, sorry dude but that's your own fault.

"I can't be racist if what I was trying to say wasn't racist at all. Could it have been worded better? yes, but that doesn't make it racist."

I think what you meant there was "that doesn't make ME racist," which I agree with. The point that I'm making is that the bad wording of your original header did in fact make that header racist - i.e. a way to express your sentiment in a way that I think is truer to the situation at hand would have been this:

"I wasn't trying to say anything racist, and you cannot automatically pin racism on me just because I didn't say what I meant correctly."

As I said already, I think Kupek was wrong for accusing you of having latent/subconscious racism (seriously Kupek, it was obvious from everything he's written that he was disappointed that it was a movie that was supposed to be about drumline that ended up just being a generic teen movie, even if he did word it like a dumbass.)

That, however, is the one thing I wholeheartedly agree with that he's said in this thread - you really need to be more careful when you're writing something that even has an outside chance of being interpreted as a racist comment/stereotypical insult/etc. - unless of course you're Seeker talking about Americans, Sine talking about Republicans, or G-Man talking about Sine.

<i>-57</i></div>
 #51847  by Tessian
 Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:46 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I used to be able to word things perfectly to allow a response to any reply but now I don't know wtf is going on... why do I say this? Because I just had a 4 minute conversation with a friend in which I screwed up something with what I was saying 3x in that short span. Maybe I really Am losing it...and just what I need right now is to start questioning my mental stability.

But as for closing this topic yes-- It was worded very poorly (although I resent the namecalling) and I apologize to anyone I may have offended but as I've said I meant nothing racist by what I said I guess I just wasn't thinking when I wrote it. Good god I do have something wrong...I've already found a few things wrong in this post, who knows what else I didn't catch. I'm slipping; I know why but not how...grand.

and you can call me many things...but being called racist just plain hurts.</div>
 #51848  by Ganath
 Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:58 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>For example, if I said to Eric "Why don't you shove that down with your cornbread nigger!", chances are good that I'd be called a racist for that.

Maybe I was just joking with him, talking some smack, god knows how many times I've called white guys "cracker", but it still sounds pretty damn racist, don't it?

Same goes for your statement, perhaps you didn't mean it in a racist manner, but it still sounds like quite the racist statement to me and several others.

Don't get all pissy at us because you fucked up your own wording, we're only calling it as we see it here, nothing more.</div>
 #51849  by Agent 57
 Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:30 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>If you want to be pissed at me because I said you wrote your original header like a dumbass, however, that's fine by me - I feel totally justified in making that comment because you <i>did</i> write it like a dumbass.

Whether or not that speaks to you being an actual dumbass in real life, however, is indeterminable at this time. My suggestion, therefore, would be that if you want to stop being called a dumbass, stop writing like one.

<i>-57</i></div>

#51850  by Tessian
 Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:52 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>...where in that post did I say anything about you? I seriously don't remember saying anything ill towards you</div>
 #51851  by Tessian
 Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:54 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>to make that the same thing I would have had to say "the cast was full of niggers" or something like that</div>

#51853  by Kupek
 Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:40 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Is it wrong to wonder why he chose that poor wording? The rest I agree with.</div>

#51855  by Blotus
 Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:03 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>I'd say 10% at the most, and that'd be including people from all countries in Asia, not just "Asians". That's just a guess, though. I don't know any real numbers.</div>
 #51857  by Ganath
 Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:24 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>"...I see that if this movie wasn't 85% black actors it would have had potential..."

"...it's the fact that the movie is a black teen movie, not about drumline..."

No, you didn't call it a cast of niggers, but that's not the only way to be racist. You said the movie lost potential because it's 85% black actors and because it's a black teen movie. That doesn't sound racist to you?

After saying something like that, I don't see where you get off bitching about being called a racist.</div>

#51863  by SineSwiper
 Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:42 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>No, they aren't. When you have these oodles of movies that TARGET a black audience, that's blaxploitation.</div>

#51864  by SineSwiper
 Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:43 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>In Japan's movieland, it's almost the same thing.</div>