The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I got the Lord of the Rings Gift Set special extended version. Just finished watching it, all I can say is, daaaamn! Why didn't they have this version of the movie in theatre's?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #51966  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:33 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Well the first thing you'll notice is that the movie has a ton of added stuff everywhere, and to top it off, they have different takes on many of the scene's. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but something that has to be said, the end battle scene is much more violent =)

Also, the figurines that came with it, they're solid, not just some hollow cheap things, these are really solid.

Once I find some people I'll watch the 6 odd hours of special footage, and get back on that. Spoiler stuff in the spoiler box....

Wait, I guess I should also mention there's new musical scores throughout. It's like watching Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Rings again for the first time. I'll just say without spoiling anything, that if you're a true fan of the movie this is what you need to see, this is exactly how the movie was meant to be.

<b>Spoiler Message:<b>
<span style="background: black; color: black;">The narration at the beginning with Bilbo Baggins, and the whole extended Shire scene is a real gift, it's like the whole beginning of the movie right up until Bree is something new. Then there's also the extended part in Rivendell, and a new freak out scene where Gandalf speaks the dark tongue. A lot more scene's with Elrond speaking with Aragorn. Then the whole Gimli/Legolas thing seams to be heavily expanded on, a lot more about the dislike between Dwarves and Elves. Legolas also mentions Morgoth and there's a lot more stuff dealing with ancient names. The scene with Hladir and the Hobbits is much longer, I was very impressed with Lothlorien, it was much more interesting than what it was, I felt it seamed a bit too dark and passed by all too fast before, the whole Act is more than doubled in length (or at least it seamed so, though I really think it was, maybe more than triple). Lets just say that Lorien went from being one of my least satisfied sections of the movie to my favorite section of the movie. There's also added stuff afterwards between Lorien and the final battle, mostly dealing with Boromir and Aragorn, you get to see Gollum on his log following them.

Blah! GToo much to talk about! There's a ton of stuff on it. Anyways, more later.</span></div>

#51970  by Ishamael
 Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:02 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>They changed the score for the whole film? Interesting Can't wait to get this version....</div>

#51972  by G-man Joe
 Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:32 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>I saw the first disc. There was one different camera angle for one scene that was on the theatrical version because it had panned in from the added scenes. Disc 2 tonight!!!</div>
 #51976  by Chockboard
 Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:18 pm
<div style='font: ; text-align: left; '>The added/extended scenes definitely change the tone of the movie, makes it seem more like the arduous quest it was in the book.

And damn, all the work that went into making the props...I want one of those elven daggers =).</div>

#51977  by SineSwiper
 Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:32 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Yeah, I saw that.</div>
 #51979  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:42 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I had no idea that Christopher Lee was such a huge Tolkien fan aisde from the hints on the theatrical edition Special features DVD. He really know's his Tolkien stuff, and the lucky bastard even got to meet Tolkien in person. Overall, I'd say my favorite section was the beginning of the second DVD when they were describing the production, the actors had a much larger part, I hope they one day come out with a making of DVD that shows in depth the experiences of the actors during the production, there's quite a bit of footage in there as it is.</div>