The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Watched 1984 the movie tonight....blah

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #52101  by Shellie
 Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:04 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt georgia; text-align: left; '>Sine made me read the book...education he said ;)

I really liked it though....suprised I was never made to read it in high school, but then again I went to a horrible HS. I was really dissapointed in the movie. If you hadnt read the book, you would have had no idea what was going on. There was so much from the book that really needed to be in the movie but wasnt. But man, you can really tell that the chick from the movie was European...I think you'd need a lawnmover to shave her bush lol

Anyway, the movie is a waste unless youre a diehard fan of the book and wanna see the movie because it exists *shrug*</div>

#52102  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:17 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Hey, it was much better than the first Dune movie. God, what a load of garbage that was.</div>

#52105  by Tessian
 Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:33 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>but it had Patrick Stewart in it-- that gives it a little credit :P</div>

#52107  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:49 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>It has Patrick Stewart holding a fucking PUG as he's escaping House Atreides and shooting down Harks. A fucking pug! Seriously, if anybody can provide me with a picture, I'll use it as my wallpaper.</div>

#52108  by Shellie
 Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:09 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt georgia; text-align: left; '>Pug Atreides!!</div>

#52110  by Gentz
 Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:26 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>"I musht reshcue Lord Snugglesworth!"</div>

#52117  by Shellie
 Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:08 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt georgia; text-align: left; '>I guess it was better than Ghosts of Mars too... :)</div>

#52127  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:08 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Dune was excellent...for it's time. It's aged a bit now and is merely good</div>

#52128  by SineSwiper
 Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:59 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>No, the current four-hour series (made by Sci-Fi) is excellent and true to the book. If you've ever read the books, you'll understand how much garbage the David Lynch version is.</div>

#52130  by Gentz
 Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:33 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I still need to see the Scifi version. I think Lynch did an excellent job in portraying the look and "feel" of the Dune universe (or Duniverse, if you will :) but basically everything else was lacking.</div>

#52134  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:16 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I had no pre-conceived notions of the movie. I saw it when I was very young for the first time. I liked it, period. It might not be as good as the books, but that does not make it bad</div>

#52145  by EsquE
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:16 am
<div style='font: 14pt Calligrapher; text-align: left; '>The Sci-Fi one was exellent...have it on DVD...</div>

#52150  by Ishamael
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:07 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>In many ways, I think bringing the Dune vision of movies is much harder than that of LotR. However, Lynch's movie did suck, there's no denying that. ;) I still need to see the Sci-Fi version (opinions are all over the map on it ). Dune is beyond incredible....</div>

#52152  by Ishamael
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:08 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>It's the Pug'dib!</div>

#52155  by Ishamael
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:15 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>In many ways, I think bringing the Dune vision to film is much harder than with LotR.  However, Lynch's movie did suck, there's no denying that. ;)  I still need to see the Sci-Fi version (opinions are all over the map on it ). Dune is beyond incredible....</div>

#52158  by Gentz
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:38 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Definitely. Dune is a lot more political and conceptual than a lot of other fantasy series. I think that's probably why Lynch liked it so much, but also why it's so difficult to portray on film.</div>

#52159  by SineSwiper
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:43 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>It's grossly inaccurate. No rain, no super secret sonic weapon, and no fucking PUG! Plus the last half of the movie is totally rushed.</div>

#52160  by SineSwiper
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:45 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>As with any book translation, it doesn't work with a 2 hour movie. To make it work, you need to make a 3-6 hour movie/mini-series, and DON'T FUCKING CHANGE ANYTHING!! Follow those two rules and it's really that simple.</div>

#52190  by Ishamael
 Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:44 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Well, as LotR proves, you can change things in an awesome book and still make an awesome movie as long as you make smart edits...</div>