The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Question.  What do you guys think of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #52153  by Ishamael
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:11 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>When I first saw this around the age of 9 or 10, needless to say I was bored out of my fucking mind. Actually that's a drastic understatment. The blandness of that movie almost drove me to homicide at that time.

But over the years, my opinion has gradually changed. While I don't put it on the same pedestal as many others and while I still think many people are taking meaning from the movie that isn't there (or is countered in Clarke's book), there is still a lot there.

Anyway, I got into a conversation about this movie with some friends and I was wondering what you guys think about it.</div>

#52156  by Tortolia
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:20 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Same. I saw it when I was 10 and couldn't get through it. Haven't seen it since.</div>
 #52157  by Gentz
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:35 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I also think that movie was probably the most accurate depiction of outer space in a film ever. Cept maybe Apollo 13 but that was a while later.</div>
 #52163  by Tessian
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:41 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I wanted to like it, and there were "parts" that weren't bad, but somewhere in the middle we got horribly bored watching it and the end just looked like one long acid trip. I was dissapointed; I was expecting it to be better than that.</div>

#52166  by Derithian
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:10 pm
<div style='font: italic bold 14pt ; text-align: center; '>the book was great....the movie was great.</div>

#52177  by Shellie
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:34 pm
<div style='font: italic 11pt georgia; text-align: left; '>When I first saw it as a kid it was pretty damn weird to me. Now I think its kinda neat but a bit boring.</div>

#52182  by Torgo
 Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:13 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Good, but overrated.</div>

#52188  by Ishamael
 Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:42 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>All you guys summed up my feelings pretty closely. Still, after later knowing what Kubrick was trying to show with the film and re-watching it with that new knowledge, I couldn't help but like it a bit better...</div>