The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• This is not hyperbole: "The Ring" is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #52236  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:49 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I read the month old thread about the movie, a few answers.

Gentz was right about <i>she</i> made the tape. Remember the photgraphs the doctor in the mental hospital held up? He asked what they were and how she made them. Well, then we know she can make images. Then it's just a step from images to video.

The theory I like about how the tape the kids in the cabin saw got like it did was that they were right above Samara. She burned it into the tape that evening. (The other theory is that the tape was always there, but I don't like that one.)

Jesus fucking christ, I'm still scared.</div>

#52237  by Tortolia
 Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:53 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I was creeped out, and that's all I ask. Scared, nah. The RE remake for Gamecube scared me more...</div>
 #52239  by ManaMan
 Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:44 am
<div style='font: 12pt "Courier New"; text-align: left; '>One thing, if she WAS just pure evil then why didn't she just go around and kill people at random through their TV sets? Why they hell did she care if they watched the video she made? They never really even addressed that in the movie... and another thing, I assumed that the girl made the video when those 6 kids were trying to record the football game in the cabin... but why did that other girl at the beginning, the one who went insane after seeing her friend get killed by the little demon bitch, say that she had heard about a video that kills people who watch it? That's like saying the video had been around for a while already... PLUS the little girl's father seemed worried when the reporter chick told him that she had seen the video but relaxed and told her she was safe when she told him that she had made a copy... it's as if he already knew about the whole thing but how could he if there was only that one copy of the video that was only made 2 weeks prior. Perhaps there are multiple copies of the video? And why didn't the people who looked at her still photo images (the ones at the mental hospital) die? Is VHS somehow particularly evil or something? They left alot of loopholes in the plot.</div>
 #52240  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:36 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>The father got scared because she's done this before. This probably wasn't the first time Samara made the evil tape for people to watch.

As far as not killing everyone... maybe she could only infect a tape.</div>

#52242  by Lee S.
 Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:56 pm
<div style='font: ; text-align: left; '>Hell yeah, it's scary. Search as hard as you can for the original Japanese version. It's so cheaply made that it'll laugh the scare right out of you, I promise.</div>

#52244  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:00 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>RE2 scared me when I played it, but it didn't STAY with me. I couldn't get some of the images from this movie out of my head.</div>

#52245  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:35 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>It was very cool, yes</div>
 #52248  by Ishamael
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:28 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>I agree with the part about the images being burned into the video by Samara.

But wasn't the tape at the cottage because Samara's father took it there and left it there? Wasn't there a scene where Naomi Watt's boyfriend was looking for a video at the psychiatric hospital, only to find it had been checked out by Samara's father? I always thought the tape he checked out from the hospital was the same tape as the uncovered tape that the teenagers found at the cottage.</div>

#52249  by Ishamael
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:29 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Some parts made absolutely no sense, but I know I got the shite scared outta me at a couple parts....and in the end, that's all I care about. ;)</div>
 #52250  by Ishamael
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:32 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>
The father got scared because she's done this before. This probably wasn't the first time Samara made the evil tape for people to watch.
As far as not killing everyone... maybe she could only infect a tape.
Well back in the day (ie, when Samara was alive), she didn't even bother with the tape. She was like a walking demon causing plagues on horses, suicides, freak "accidents" and all sort of other bad stuff that people only briefly alluded to. The tape was a way to keep her evil alive after she died....</div>
 #52254  by Gentz
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:44 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>That was the tape of her interview with the psychiatrist at the hospital. The one that cuts off suddenly. The "Death" images were burned onto the tape that the highschool kids at the cottage were using to record the football game.

Remember? "When we went to watch the football game it wasn't there. There was just all this creepy stuff!"</div>

#52258  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:03 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>There are a few unexplainable things, but most of your questions were answerable. (And I think Gentz hit on them.)</div>
 #52259  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:05 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>The tape the father checked out is the tape that Rachel watched at his house right before he thwacked her and committed suicide.</div>
 #52260  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:09 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>She caused people to have visions, to see things. "The things she shows you" (or something like that) is what the father said before committing suicide.

The horses broke out of the barn and drown themselves so that they could get away from Samara - she didn't "make" them do it. Like the people in her life, she probably had been showing them fucked up things as well, and they were smart enough to know she was causing it.</div>

#52273  by Ishamael
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:24 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Oh yeah....</div>

#52274  by Ishamael
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:25 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Ooops. That night is foggier than I originally remembered. ;)</div>

#52275  by Ishamael
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:27 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>I had a whole laundry list of questions, but Garford explained everything from the original Japanese trilogy a while back...I ended up liking the lack of explanation better... ;)</div>

#52279  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:54 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I read a bit about the Japenese trilogy myself, and I don't think it all applies. Particularly the science fiction stuff.</div>