The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• In case it hasn't been heard, Stillshots for the Return of the King have been released. Also the World premier of the movie is December 1st, in Wellington NZ, so you shut-ins can get your Bootleg copy probably shortly after that. (spoilers on events from

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #55258  by Julius Seeker
 Sat May 24, 2003 5:47 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>It seems that only one new character has been introduced at this point, and that is Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith and Steward of Gondor. It also shows scenes from the paths of the dead. I have also heard rumor that the movie will begin with Gandalf's battle against Saruman and Saruman's staff getting broken (of course this is just rumor, because in the book there wasn't any significant battle, Gandalf broke Saruman's staff quite easily, and Saruman went to hide in his imprenetrable tower of Orthanc with Wormtongue).

In the movie then I would suspect things would follow similar to the book, Gandalf would ride swiftly with Pippin to Minas Tirith, Merry would go with Theoden to Edoras where 6,000 Cavalry have gathered from throughout Rohan, and they would ride to war against Mordor (but I am not sure if they will put in the scene with the Druadan, the Druadan were one of Tolkien's most interesting creations, and were actually brought into the book from one of his earlier legends), Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas would travel through to the paths of the dead, and would call upon the people of Erech to battle it out with the Corsairs of Umbar and take their fleet. The siege of Minas Tirith would begin after Faramir fails to defend Osgiliath and the Outer wall, and much of the city would be set aflame, but they are saved by the riders of Rohan.

Next is possibly the most significant battle of the entire book, surpassing even Gandalf and the Balrog, and that is Dernhelm unmasking as Eowyn and her battle with the Black Captain of Mordor, Lord of the Nazgul. A picture is shown of Aragorn over an Eowyn lying down, and I believe this might be him in the House of healing, yet it could be before his parting at dawn from Rohan to cross the paths of the dead (after he battles with Sauron using the Palatir, he seems to look different in every still frame, but in this one where he is over Eowyn, he looks the same as he did in the first two movies).

Then of course the Houses of healing, then the travel to the Black Gate where the Mouth of Sauron appears, this is probably where the climax hits boiling point, and they see Sauron appear as huge demonic black form, almost as a cloud, and then he is blown away with a gust of wind, a sign that the Ring bearer has completed his quest. In the book Frodo and Sam's section is very small compared to everyone elses, they have 70 pages or so (just three chapters, Cirith Ungol, the planes of Gorgoroth, and Mout Doom), while Aragorn's story has about 300, Gandalf/Pippin has about 50 though they tie up with Aragorn's, and Eowyn/Merry's has about 100. Something like that. The end of the book involves all the Hobbits and Saruman, but I fear that Jackson might leave this out due to time constraints, the ending of the book is very long, and also my favorite part of the book because it sums up everything and makes for a very satisfied ending.

The Return of the King as far as the books go is by far the most interesting, it is the boiling part of the story, where 90% of all the significant events takes place, it is also the most solid section for making a movie as there is only really one new character they have to introduce, and that is Denethor, Beregond and Imrahil are really the only two other major characters introduced in the book, I hope they make it to the movie, but I can see how their parts could be cut for time reasons. I just hope that the last chapter of the movie can live up to the book.</div>
 #55268  by Zeus
 Mon May 26, 2003 1:41 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>How the hell could you forget about Shelob? That's easily one of the most interesting battles</div>

#55275  by Julius Seeker
 Mon May 26, 2003 3:10 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I did forget, that's a good one too =)</div>