The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Metal fans, check out these two songs.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#55539  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:14 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>It's not my fault your taste in music absolutely sucks.</div>

#55540  by Kupek
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:42 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Homophobic troll.</div>

#55541  by Mr.Person
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:52 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Now your the one being "stupid", nowhere did I say I actually had said experience. Look whose making the false assumptions now! HHHHHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHHAHHAHHAHAAHAHhahAHAHAHahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH</div>

#55542  by Mr.Person
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:56 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Very well persist in your fallacy. Just to let you know Nelly is a rapper who persists in the time-honored rap tradition of preaching about women, but added the twist of making every generic and watered down enough so the parents of TRL girls have no qualms with him. And Tatu? *cough* gimmick *cough</div>

#55543  by Mr.Person
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:57 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Phrase your statements better.</div>

#55544  by Mr.Person
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:58 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Now your the one being "stupid", nowhere did I say I actually had said experience. Look whose making the false assumptions now!</div>
 #55545  by Mr.Person
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:07 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>And I'm jetting out of this argument. BTW, Black Flag wasn't really that good until they got Henry Rollins. His vocal style has pretty much become the de facto style for many other bands that have followed in the hardcore/metal vein ever since. Harsh, and antagonistic, and certainly not vanilla. Unlike some of the shit that passes for music nowadays, Black Flag actually stood for something and had some actual ideals besides MONEY and even indulged in some experimental wanderings(punk tinged with metal). Best part is they did this without those huge marketing teams, big posses, and bloated production values that render music sterile like most acts today seem to favor. That's not music, that's a product. If it wasn't for Black Flag, the chain of events which led to the formation of Nirvana probably wouldn't have happened, and since you seem to be a big fan of Nirvana, you should be appreciative of that. In case your wondering I like Black Flag, but they are nowhere near my favorite band. One of my favorite bands... hmmm, let's see, you ever heard of The Velvet Underground?</div>

#55546  by Eric
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:37 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Hey Nelly is a mix of Hiphop & Pop, he has no qualms about it and acknowledges it. And Seeker didn't mention him so let's keep him out of it eh?</div>

#55547  by G-man Joe
 Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:45 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Seeker is gay and is fighting it. So...he projects his sexual insecurity on us and looks down on gays. Hence....he's homophobe. But since he trolls here....he's a homophobic troll. But Kupek was more to the point. 8^)</div>

#55549  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:42 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Well..., one problem most of what I said is true. Normally I don't mind as long as you don't take an elitist attitude about that kind of music. It's fun disposable music, it's not let's say "art" the way some hip hop (let's say The Roots) or rock (Led Zeppelin) is.</div>

#55550  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:44 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Well..., one problem most of what I said is true. And besides Seeker has admitted to liking Nelly before so that's that. Nelly = fun disposable music, but if you're going to take an elitist attitude about this kind of music, you better be prepared to get knocked down.</div>
 #55552  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:49 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Music like Ja Rule and Nelly is more pop than hip hop in any case. It's in the same category as pop acts like TATU, but it's dressed up to look like hip hop. Therefore I decided to include it in the conversation. Hey, if that's your cup of tea it's fine with me, but I doubt I'm the only one who has ever thrown dirt on said artists.</div>
 #55553  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:54 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Music like Ja Rule and Nelly is more pop than hip hop in any case. It's in the same category as pop acts like TATU, but it's dressed up to look like hip hop. Therefore I decided to include it in the conversation. Hey, if that's your cup of tea it's fine with me, but I doubt I'm the only one who has ever thrown dirt on said artists. Once again if you're going to be antagonistically elitist about said artists(just like any other) be prepared to deal with people telling you off because of it. Except with these kinds of artists an attack on their image is a lot easier because of their style, than against other musicians.</div>

#55556  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:26 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Who's topping charts, topping polls, winning awards, and selling millions and millions of albums? Nelly, Tatu, Eminem, and 50 Cent. Why is this happening? Because most people like them better than the rest. Why do they like them so much? Because they're the best. End of story.</div>

#55557  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:27 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>So retards like you can understand better? Sorry, but I think the majority of the Shrine, here, are past a preschool level of reading comprehention.</div>

#55558  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:39 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>You're assuming it's common sense for people to know these things. It is not, but is common sense for those who have been in prison, simple logic.</div>

#55559  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:41 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>If I was a Homophobe, I wouldn't even speak to you or G-man, or Esque. But calling me a troll, how fucking gay is that?</div>

#55560  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:43 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Again, you are only speaking for yourself, Gay Man Joe.</div>

#55561  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:45 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Seeing as how they're from a Redneck State, I doubt they're anything more than just a bunch of posers, there's nothing hardcore about that.</div>

#55563  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:14 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Ummm...., your quotes are misleading, and I doubt I'm the only to think that. Now when I try to be reasonable like I was in the above post, you come back with an insult. You're hopeless.</div>

#55564  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:14 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Ummm...., your statements are misleading, and I doubt I'm the only to think that. Now when I try to be reasonable like I was in the above post, you come back with an insult. You're hopeless.</div>

#55565  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:18 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Hmm..., if you want to play the winning award card, then Wilco or Beck is the best band of the past year. I'm assuming you're a fan of the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears & Jennifer Lopez since they also sell a lot of copies of cds too.</div>

#55566  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:20 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Ummm...., your statements are misleading, and I doubt I'm the only to think that. Now when I try to be reasonable like I was in the above post, you come back with an insult. You're hopeless.</div>

#55567  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:21 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Ummm...., your statements are misleading, and I doubt I'm the only to think that. Now when I try to be reasonable like I was in the above post, you come back with an insult. In any case fine I apologize for making a bad assumption.</div>
 #55568  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:36 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>In any case since you seem to think you're fucking infallible FYI, The New York Dolls was a 70's rock band, and Kiss has put out albums from the early 70s to the 90s. So don't call them 80's hair metal bands. Now if I was like you I would follow this up with some insult to your sexuality and your intelligence, but I won't, you were wrong. In any case, I'm human and I make mistakes, that's that.</div>

#55569  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:40 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Once again what's up with thinking that I've been in prison? Do you have the powers of a God? Seeker The Smiter of Homosexuals? Oh yea the common sense bit applies to people knowing that "tough guys" = masculine. I thought with your superior abilities of reading comprehension you'd get it.</div>

#55570  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:44 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Once again what's up with thinking that I've been in prison? Do you have the powers of a God? Seeker The Smiter of Homosexuals? Oh yea the common sense bit applies to people knowing that "hulking brute" = masculine. I thought with your superior abilities of reading comprehension you'd get it.</div>
 #55571  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:45 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>In any case since you seem to think you're fucking infallible FYI, The New York Dolls was a 70's rock band, and Kiss has put out albums from the early 70s to the 90s. So don't call them 80's bands. In any case, I'm human and I make mistakes, that's that.</div>

#55572  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:48 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Common sense applies to "hulking brutes" = masculine. Now I don't know where you decided to put in the makeup bit, but whatever, common sense would tell you to ask the question of how a man in prison would obtain makeup.</div>

#55573  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:50 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Common sense applies to "hulking brutes" = masculine. You're the one who brought in this prison mumbo jumbo.</div>

#55574  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:53 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Common sense applies to "hulking brutes" = masculine.  After all, what's more masculine than a tough guy?</div>
 #55576  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:03 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Unless by awards you only count MTV/Grammies, and not Rolling Stone, All Music, Pitchfork, Spin, Q, NME, CMJ,etc.</div>

#55577  by Lox
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:17 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Wow.</div>

#55579  by Kupek
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:25 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Your ignorance is funny.</div>
 #55580  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:29 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>In any case visit the rock & roll hall of fame page one day. Look up some of the artists there, some of them didn't get any respect in their time, yet now they're flying high. It's not just about sales, after all if it was about sales, then why haven't a ton of bands with monster sales gotten in. Sure, sales will get you some respect, but by and large massive sales a good artist does not make. If that's the case, wouldn't Milli Vanilli and New Kids on the Block make a lot of Top 100 artists of all time lists?</div>
 #55581  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:32 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>In any case visit the rock & roll hall of fame page one day. Look up some of the artists there, some of them didn't get any respect in their time, yet now they're flying high. It's not just about sales, after all if it was about sales, then why haven't a ton of bands with monster sales gotten in. Sure, sales will get you some respect, but by and large massive sales a good artist does not make. If that's the case, wouldn't Milli Vanilli and New Kids on the Block make a lot of Top 100 artists of all time lists? Where is the respect for Vanilla Ice? What about Tiffany? What about Paula Abdul?</div>
 #55582  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:33 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Sure, sales will get you some respect, but by and large massive sales a good artist does not make. If that's the case, wouldn't Milli Vanilli and New Kids on the Block make a lot of Top 100 artists of all time lists? Where is the respect for Vanilla Ice? What about Tiffany? What about Paula Abdul? What about Poison? They wouldn't be the butt end of jokes nowadays if sales = good music.</div>
 #55583  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:34 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Sure, sales will get you some respect, but by and large massive sales a good artist does not make. If that's the case, wouldn't Milli Vanilli and New Kids on the Block make a lot of Top 100 artists of all time lists? Where is the respect for Vanilla Ice? What about Tiffany? What about Paula Abdul? What about Poison? They wouldn't be the butt end of jokes nowadays if sales = good music. Everyone knows grammies are worthless. After all, why would Milli Vanilli have even gotten one in the first place when any dunce could see that they were lip syncing.</div>
 #55584  by Mr.Person
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:36 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Sure, sales will get you some respect, but by and large massive sales a good artist does not make. If that's the case, wouldn't Milli Vanilli and New Kids on the Block make a lot of Top 100 artists of all time lists? Where is the respect for Vanilla Ice? What about Tiffany? What about Paula Abdul? What about Poison? They wouldn't be the butt end of jokes nowadays if sales = good music. Everyone knows grammies are worthless. After all, why would Milli Vanilli have even gotten one in the first place when any dunce could see that they were lip synching. Heck, I believe even Vanilla Ice got one too. Grammies are industry awards based on sales. MTV Awards likewise.</div>

#55586  by Lox
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:58 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I think that's an understatement.</div>

#55589  by G-man Joe
 Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:12 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>See what I mean? Projection. A classic display of sexual insecurity.</div>

#55603  by Eric
 Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:46 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>You can't compare Nelly & Tatu, Nelly has talent in what he does, which is Pop with a Hip Hop mix. Tatu is a gimmick.</div>
 #55604  by Mr.Person
 Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:03 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I mean there is more to pop than just "teen pop" (i.e, New Kids on the Block/Tiffany clones). Pop encompasses so much more than just one narrow subgenre. It could be anything from let's say Nelly to TATU to Weezer (a band I sort of like might I add). After all remember that pop = popular. One thing in common all three of those bands share is a consonant sound with broad appeal. I suppose that could be the essence of pop along with choruses, and lyrics which are catchy.</div>
 #55606  by Mr.Person
 Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:07 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I mean there is more to pop than just "teen pop" (i.e, New Kids on the Block/Tiffany clones). Pop encompasses so much more than just one narrow subgenre. It could be anything from let's say Nelly to TATU to Weezer (a band I sort of like might I add). After all remember that pop = popular. One thing in common all three of those bands share is a consonant sound with broad appeal. I suppose that could be the essence of pop along with choruses, and lyrics which are catchy. Now if you want me to state why I don't think Nelly is an example of a good artist I could do that too, but you probably heard most of the complaints before.</div>

#55629  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:25 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I wouldn't talk about ignorance, you think that hardcore refers specifically to metal.</div>

#55630  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:28 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I don't listen to dance music or 80's music. Your assumption is as stupid as me assuming you listen to all music that sucks.</div>

#55631  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:36 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Says who? You're mediocre highschool education? You're always calling people gay, Ishamael, Lox, Barret and others, but just because you call them gay because of your sexual insecurity, doesn't mean that's true for anyone else. As I said, I call it how I see it, and you're a faggot.</div>

#55632  by Kupek
 Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:42 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Man, you really don't listen. It's a genere seperate from metal, grew off from punk.</div>