The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Ok, so maybe Reloaded was a tad bit on the CGizzle side....

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#56460  by Cranky McCrankyson
 Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:49 am
<div style='font: 14pt ; text-align: left; '>You... saw... wha?.....</div>

#56466  by SineSwiper
 Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:19 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>The whole 100 Smith fight was kinda obvious, but enjoyable. My favorite fight scene is still the weapons fight. He uses fucking sai blades! And properly (to defend and attack), too.</div>
 #56467  by Zeus
 Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:42 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I couldn't care less about Zion, which for whatever reason, just didn't seem all that great to me. Maybe it was all the build-up from the first, maybe it was the fact that it was basically an underground ancient Rome, but it just wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting a rag-tag bunch of people with some form of heirarchy, not a highly-organized fighting machine. Again, maybe that was due to the first one.

The rave/sex continuation of the Morpheus speech was FREAKING USELESS. The speech was great, everything after that was pure Hollywood formulaic junk (ie. lots of young people going to see this, young people like sex and raves, let's give it to them).

The rest is tied into the fact that the story isn't complete yet and that a lot of the "wow" factor was gone from the first. That's why I'm reserving final judgement 'til the last one is out</div>

#56471  by Lox
 Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:49 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>The only part that bothered me was the 100 Smith fight because it was so freaking obvious. They should have done it a lot better. The weapons fight was awesome though.</div>

#56473  by SineSwiper
 Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:06 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I really don't understand people distaste for the "rave scene" (as everybody has coined it). It was a bit of plot development for the society as a whole.</div>

#56475  by Stephen
 Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:01 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I disliked that movie so much, it nearly ruined my enjoyment of the original. Thanks, guys, but if I want a 3rd-rate discourse in philosophy set to ridiculous kung-fu sequences, I'll read Philosophy for Dummies while watching "They Call Me Phat Dragon," and, oh, yeah, have a lot more fun, too.</div>

#56477  by Zeus
 Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:31 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>It was pointless...</div>

#56479  by Eric
 Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:45 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>The rave was a bit weird, but I must say I wish I was there, it those Zion women were fucking stacked. ;p</div>

#56480  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:01 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>What I don't understand is why people even bother mentioning the plot at all, It wasn't anything special in the first one either, it's no deeper than the average 1920's to 1960's sci-fi flick. The Matrix is all about the special effects, even if they do look like Soul Calibur.</div>

#56481  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:51 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>I honestly didn't think the CG effects were that bad (and in fact, pretty good)...of course, people complain about the CG effects in all movies unless it's CG for cartoon movies like "Ice Age"....</div>

#56482  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:54 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>I personally didn't think the so-called rave scene (they were much better dancers than your average raver) wasn't nearly as long or as bad as people make it out to be...</div>

#56483  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:55 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Bah! I thought it was actually a pretty slick incorporation of various philisophical ideas, while still being a seriously ass-kicking movie. In addition to that, I enjoyed the various metaphors that I was able to catch (and enjoyed it even more when I found out about the ones I didn't catch)....</div>

#56484  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:59 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>To you, party pooper. It was a celebration of mankind as well as a visual contrast to the machine world. Maybe that's a little more esoteric a more acceptable reason for a party (ie, it was Morpheus's birthday), but I thought it was pretty straightforward....</div>
 #56485  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:01 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>I think for most people, it just washes over them. Being the kung-fu snob that I am, I looked at every detail and savored everything about it. It's really an incredible scene.</div>

#56487  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:03 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>To you, party pooper.  It was a celebration of mankind as well as a visual contrast to the machine world.  Maybe that's a little more esoteric than more reasons for a party (ie, it was Morpheus's birthday), but I thought it was pretty straightforward....</div>

#56488  by Ishamael
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:06 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>To you, party pooper.  It was a celebration of mankind as well as a visual contrast to the machine world.  Maybe that's a little more esoteric than more common reasons for a party (ie, it was Morpheus's birthday), but I thought it was pretty straightforward....</div>

#56491  by Zeus
 Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:55 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Two words: formulaic crap</div>
 #56492  by Flip
 Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:33 am
<div style='font: 12pt "Cooper Black"; text-align: left; '>I think the plot is awesome. While i understood it somewhat the first time, it makes much more sense the 2nd and i believe its genius. There are lots of questions that i cant wait to be answered like the 'purpose' of Smith and how only this ragtag band of people that are left will save the humanity that the architect claims is doomed due to Neo's choice. Is it all still a control or not?!?

I agree with Sine (or whoever thought of it first) that Persepone is this mother of the Matrix and not the Oracle. My reasons are hard to explain but simply put i think Persephone is the only one that is actually trying to help the humans. The Oracle seems too much like a control, she seemed to be convincing Neo to save Zion instead of following his heart. Persephone's kiss i think was aimed at showing Neo that love is more important and thats the choice he should make....

Of course i have no idea, but i like the fact that this movie makes you think about this stuff, i cant wait for Revolutions!</div>

#56494  by SineSwiper
 Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:33 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Wah, wah, wah...then go see Kill Bill. Very little plot and mostly action.</div>

#56500  by Stephen
 Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:20 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I did, thanks. Tarantino's excesses are far more entertaining than those of the Wachowski brothers.</div>

#56501  by Stephen
 Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:33 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>My complaint is largely a matter of degree. I don't mind philosophical references (when done subtly and in proportion to the dramatic context), but the amount of posturing and pontificating in Reloaded bores my aesthetic taste. Your mileage may vary, of course.</div>

#56502  by Flip
 Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:35 pm
<div style='font: 12pt "Cooper Black"; text-align: left; '>Of course, being an auditor, i'm just facscinated by internal controls in general.</div>
 #56504  by Ishamael
 Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:08 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>It's not that people are dumb...it's just that they aren't well read enough to truly enjoy this movie the highest level. For that, you have to be very well read. I thought I was pretty smart for the stuff I got until I started really researching the movie on the web. Wow. Mine eyes were opened.

The philosophy isn't third rate and it isn't fluff. It's added in a subtle way and has a direct bearing on the movie and how it unfolds. For one of the better breakdownson philosophy in The Matrix, <a href="http://www.corporatemofo.com/stories/05 ... htm">check out this site.</a></div>

#56505  by Ishamael
 Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:10 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Bzzzt! Wrong! In your mind, yeah, but what do you know? :) I think my explanation is correct, though I also like Corporate mofo's explanation that it was a contrast of sacred and profane love.</div>