The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Did anybody else feel that LotR's villian could have been a bit better? Or was the eye enough?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#57253  by G-man Joe
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:03 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>It was fine. His bodyless was explained at the beginning of the first movie.</div>

#57254  by Lox
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:20 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I kind of wanted more than the eye but I don't know if that would have been faithful to the books.</div>

#57255  by G-man Joe
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:25 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>This is what makes the book as well as this movie trilogy unique : there is no physical antagonist leading the Orc hordes.</div>

#57256  by Lox
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:22 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah, it is interesting since it's just his essence almost that seems to control them.</div>

#57257  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:47 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>That's the same as saying "Don't you think the villain in Paradise Lost could have been a bit better than a serpent?"</div>

#57258  by G-man Joe
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:09 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>I believe he was actually in physical form in The Hobbit. If you read the book, Gandalf had to "take care" of matters, in the southern forest of the Mirk Woods. Seeker can clarify.</div>

#57259  by Tessian
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:00 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I remember that...something about going to deal with a necromancer who turned out to be Sauron...they never did say if he had a physical form or not though</div>

#57261  by Eric
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:17 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Ummm, no.</div>

#57262  by Eric
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:25 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>I didn't want them to change anything from the books, it was just a general question.</div>

#57270  by Oracle
 Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:39 pm
<div style='font: bold 10pt ; text-align: left; '>Maybe he did have a physical body! But Gandalf "dealt" with him, and whupped his ass, and then and then.... god damnit they should make movies on this story line for the next 100 years....</div>

#57274  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:38 am
<div style='font: 9pt "copperplate gothic light"; text-align: left; '>At the time of the Hobbit they didnt realzie that the Necromancer that lived in the Southwestern Mirkwood was Sauron. This wasnt realized until they actually drove him out.</div>

#57305  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:31 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Of course it is. They are both written that way in their respective stories. It would be heresy to change such a major feature.</div>
 #57306  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:59 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Well, when he forged the One Ring, he was not a demonic figure like that shown in the movie, he was still of fair form and also went by a different name (I forget it at the moment). When he declared war on the Elf Kingdoms he quickly gained the upper hand. Yet a people called the Numenoreans (Aragorn's ancestors) who lived on a continent out in the Western Sea (similar to the legend of Atlantis) came and defeated sauron, captured him. Yet his form won them over, they did not believe him to be evil, but wise, and he convinced the Numenoreans to defy the Gods (who he convinced were keeping from humanity the gift of immortality which was granted to the Elves). The Gods retaliated by destroying Numenor, Sauron was killed in the process, but returned to Barad-dur and his one ring and gained a new physical form, he didn't lose any of his power. Yet when the ring was cut from his finger, he immedietly lost it all, and Sauron could not find the ring until the end of the third age which is when the Lord of the Rings takes place.

Before the second age, Sauron was the servant of a God by the name of Morgoth. Morgoth ruled from the North and possessed three gemstones of extraordinary power (a bit of that power is possessed within the Phial of galadriel which is seen in the movies, it contains a bit of the essense of the "star of Earendil" which is the Silmaril of the sky). Sauron under Morgoth normally took the forms of a Vampire or a were-wolf, for Sauron had unique powers, he was a shapeshifter, and a master of necromancy and other dark sorcery. During the time of Lord of the Rings, Sauron didn't have control over the Orcs, rather they followed him, no Balrogs or Dragons bowed to Sauron, and there were many evil things (like the Kraken outside of Moria) who had nothing to do with Sauron; Morogth on the otherhand was the master of all evil things, he was the master and creator of the Balrogs, the Dragons, of all the Orcs, etc.. Morgoth was the creator of all evil existing in the world, and it began with his thoughts of desire. Morgoth is the main character of the book, the Silmarillion, he is also the villain, the Silmarillion is more or less a shortened and organized version of Tolkiens book of lost tales. At the end of the first age, Morgoth was defeated (not killed, he can't be killed, he is locked behind the gates of the night), Sauron was defeaed at the end of the second age, and again at the end of the third, without the existence of the ring, he was never able to take any form recognizable to the physical world ever again. Moroth though is prophesized to return, because as Tolkien's little mythological prophecy goes, though the armies of Orcs and trolls have been wiped out, Morgoth's evil still exists in the world, Morgoth had much sway over mankind.</div>

#57313  by Lox
 Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I need to read Tolkien's lost tales, etc. There is so much cool stuff to learn about the universe he created.</div>

#57371  by Ishamael
 Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:53 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>I didn't mind the all-seeing, ever present eye. While it doesn't give the heroes someone convenient to fight at the end, I think the concept is cool as it is. It's one of the things I actually liked the most about the trilogy.</div>