The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Initial thoughts on Lord of the Rings (after seeing it a few times).

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #57375  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:56 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Now that I’ve seen the film a few times I have been able to examine the characters and plot of it a little more carefully. In as short as I can make it: the build up begins fairly slowly, and it builds up and up to very high levels, and the ending is quite well done as well. Certainly the ending does not hold up to the book, but the ending in the book which would include the Houses of Healing where Merry recovered (he was not actually supposed to be in that final battle), Eowyn and Faramir recovered and met each other and grew together over the days, the scouring of the Shire, visits back to Rivendell, etc... It could have beeen a whole other 3 hour long movie in itself! Even though I would love to see it, it would just not be marketable to the crowds. The Return of the King itself as is is smashing sales records all over the world and fcor the entire world as a whole, the movie is already coming close to the world wide sales of the Fellowship of the Ring (and its only on its second full week on screen), the first part of the saga, and if any movie in the next decade has even a chance of exceeding Titanic, it is this one, but even that chance is “just a fools hope” as Gandalf would put it. There's still a hope =)

We have Frodo, who was at his best towards the end of the movie, an unexpected turn for the viewers. Some scenes would appear to have some homosexual undertones in them, particularilly the ending, but obviously these scenes had some power to them, because looking back on the crowd, I see tears in eyes; likely the whole idea for these sorts of scenes came from none other than “Gandalf the gay” who was a dominant figure among both cast and crew. Frodo’s overall character in the movie had a much less aggressive atmosphere about him than his original book counterpart (that I was something I definetly missed throughout the movies, Frodo wasn’t exactly the wimp that Jackson portrayed him as). I will not complain about it though, the movie was good, though different. The book Frodo did carry himself with a lot more confidence and pride than he did in the movies.

Gandalf, played by Sir Ian Mckellen, was fantastically cast for the movie; though I myself was hoping for Connery, who I believed would have been absolutely perfect for the role. My favourite part with this character was when he beat up Denethor. Overall, he was at the top of his game, in the second movie he had only a small part, in this one he had his largest part. Though I do miss his confrontation with the Witchking of Angmar, where the Witchking was to attempt to “break him” which I believe he does in the Extended Edition, if you noticed, Gandalf had no staff from the time of riding up to the citadel and on, in the first trailer for the movie, it shows the Witchking flying down to confront Gandalf at the gates of the Citadel.

Aragorn, I felt Viggo Mortensen did not get enough air time in the third installment: he was the main character of the book, very obviously, but in the movie he did not seem to get the time he deserved. He did a great job himself, but I believe that his character could have been better shown had the script remained similar to the actual book plot, but again that would require a lot more time for the movie overall. In the book the dead army only took the ships, Aragorn had gathered an army from around the lands of Western Gondor to travel with him on the shores to join the battle with Rohan led by Eomer, and Gondor led by Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth. I also missed Aragorn challenging Sauron with the Palantir (speaking fof which, showing Denethor’s Palantir, which was the true source of his knowledge).

With the main characters described, I will now describe my favourite character of the movie: Theoden King of Rohan. I felt that more than anyone, he had the greatest scenes and was absolutely dead on the character. I like to compare him now to William Wallace of Braveheart, and though I still like Wallaces speach ending with “They may take our lives, but they will never take our FREEDOM!” I felt that Bernerd Hill’s speach as Theoden hit a higher note (possibly in co-operation with the great music at that particular scene); I am still debating which I like more. Theoden’s thoughts were also done well, and his death scene I very much liked. The second and third time I saw the movie, I still felt the tension that I did the first time throughout the whole Ride of the Rohirrim, truly a classic moment for the history of cinema. It would be quite nice for this film to do especially well, for Bernerd Hill is already credited in the highest grossing movie currently, Titanic. It is a shame that liklely he will be overlooked by the larger award ceremonies since he does only really appear for the first half to first two thirds of the movie or so; and has other characters such as Gandalf, Sam, and Aragorn who are generallyseen as more important characters, and they also all did very well in their acting jobs themselves; That still doesn’t change that Theoden was my favourite character in the movie. To sum it all up: of all the leaders there, he seemed to own the part and did hold about him the authority and charisma of a true King that armies of men would follow. In my opinion, he kind of stole the show from Aragorn =P

From Lord of the Rings (pg 132 of the Return of the King):

Then suddenly Merry felt it at last, beyond doubt: a change. Wind was in his face! Light was glimmering. Far. far away, in the South the clouds could be dimly seen as remote grey shapes, rolling up, drifting; morning lay beyond them.

But at that same moment there was a flash, as if lighting had sprung from the earth beneath the City. For a searing second it stood dazzling far off in black and white, its topmost tower like a glittering needle; and then as the darkness closed again there came rolling over the fields a great <I>boom</I>.

At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before:

<I><c>Arise, arise Riders of Theoden
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter
spear shall be shaken! Shield be splintered!
a sword day! a red day! ere the sun rises!
Ride now! Ride now! Ride to Gondor!</I></C></div>
 #57376  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:00 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>The scenes between the hobbits are simply about companionship, very strong friendships. They don't even enter the realm of homosexuality. The hobbits, are accurately portrayed in the films, are quite emotional and affectionate as a race, and that came through on a regular basis in the films, all of them. There was NOTHING about homosexual tones in any way......</div>

#57377  by G-man Joe
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:36 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Yep. Sam was just the most loyal friend Frodo could have. Same goes for Pippin and Merry. Although, Legolas had his eyes set on Aragorn's crotch most of the time. j/k!</div>
 #57378  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:17 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>If you would pay attention to the Extended Edition documentaries (and others, including just about every talkshow he was on), you will see that Ian Mckellen did in fact suggest those scenes be put into a movie, and felt that a "heterosexual actor and director would not otherwise think anything of these scenes". Maybe it's North American society, but generally people do not stare into each others eyes like that unless they are attracted to them. Pointing something like that out doesn't make a person homophobic, that's a ridiculous thought; the definition of homophobia is fear of homosexuality, and I don't see how you get that out of the statement I made about the movie, there's no logic to your statement there.

Of course I use words like faggot, homo, fruit, fudgepacker, dyke, rug muncher, lesbo, right team, etc... Does that make me homophobic? No. Does that make me a bad person? It probably does, but I don't give a fuck.</div>

#57379  by G-man Joe
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:38 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Ian McKellen ~is~ gay.</div>

#57380  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:40 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah, but this is about Frodo's character.</div>

#57381  by G-man Joe
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:30 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>You wrote that Ian McKellan felt that a "heterosexual actor and director would not otherwise think anything of these scenes". But you and Ian did. =8^) *wink wink*</div>

#57382  by G-man Joe
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:31 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Oops. This was supposed to got under the "Yeah, but this is about Frodo's character." reply.</div>

#57384  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:24 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Nah, if I was directing Lord of the Rings I wouldn't have put those scenes in the movie. I didn't find them characteristic of their characters in the book.</div>

#57385  by G-man Joe
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:36 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Well....this supposedly happened 250,000 years ago. Homosexuals didn't evolve yet. So they can stare at each other without worrying about their pooper getting poked. =8^)</div>

#57386  by Zeus
 Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:51 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I don't care what McKellen said, he's wrong. Great actor, but he's not the ultimate authority on film. If homosexuals want to get more out of the scenes, that's coo, but that's not why they were put in there. Loyalty and friendship is what the hobbits were all about</div>

#57393  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:20 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Yeah, so? Gandalf isn't gay.</div>

#57395  by Lox
 Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I actually thought the scenes with Merry and Pippin had the homosexual overtone to them.</div>

#57396  by Lox
 Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:19 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>That's probably true, but I still thought the same thing about Merry and Pip both times I saw the movie. I had never noticed anything like it in the first two movies either.</div>

#57397  by G-man Joe
 Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:23 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>That's coz in the first movie, they didn't have that "don't die on me" moment. The second, they were busy piggy-backing Uruk-Hais or being carried by Tree Beard.</div>

#57401  by Zeus
 Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:28 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Dear Lord, man. I didn't even get a hint of it anywhere. They were just close. I guess not too many here are from European families. This is freakin' normal</div>

#57402  by G-man Joe
 Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:37 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>I didn't think of it in that way either. Then again, I ain't from North America.</div>