The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Ahh...THIS was the one thing I couldn't pinpoint as to why something was a bit off about LOTR! (Arwen's role aside, of course)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #57813  by G-man Joe
 Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:43 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.julietwaldron.com/frodo.htm">Frodo, in the book....was braver than Frodo in the movie.</a>

Ahh...THIS was the one thing I couldn't pinpoint as to why something was a bit off about LOTR! (Arwen's role aside, of course)</div>

#57814  by Kupek
 Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:01 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Interesting premise, but I had to stop reading because the writer uses far too many words to express a simple idea.</div>

#57816  by G-man Joe
 Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:44 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>She does like to chatter a bit.</div>

#57820  by Zeus
 Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:08 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>That women truly needed a life. Frodo WAS strong, but he needed help along the way. I don't care if they had to change minor things along the way, especially considering those changes brought out other themes even more</div>

#57838  by G-man Joe
 Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:35 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Her point was Frodo was stronger in the book while in the movie, his saving grace was to keep Gollum with them. The rest of the time, he fell or had that look of "ow...my balls hurt" and roll his eyes upward.</div>

#57842  by Zeus
 Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:38 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Like I basically said above: So?</div>

#57845  by G-man Joe
 Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:01 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>No. I basically said in the movie, Frodo was weak. From what I gather, that's the opposite of what you're saying. =8^)</div>

#57846  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:23 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>It's what I've been saying all along, Frodo's character was pussified. I'm quite happy with how Theoden's character turned out perfectly though. The major problem I had witht he third movie was the army of the dead.</div>
 #57847  by Flip
 Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:57 pm
<div style='font: 12pt "Cooper Black"; text-align: left; '>In movie 1 Sauron knows the ring is in the Shire then Rivendell then on top of Mt. Carradras. After the fellowship enter Moria he loses sight of them for a time. The fellowship go to Lothlorien then get split up, at this point they have achieved fooling Sauron. The orcs capture Merry and Pippin (i assume a scout runs to tell Saruman) and so Sauron thinks the ring is around the Rohan/Orthanc area.

In movie 2 Saruman gets defeated, so Sauron has to think the ring is still in Rohan... suddenly Frodo shows him its in Osgaliath.

Movie 3, Pippin looks into the palantir, which in the book forces Sauron to continue to think the ring is in the Rohan area while Frodo sneaks farther into Mordor. Although in the movie version this would make any intelligent person balk because there is no way the ring could have moved from Osgaliath to Rohan, in fact he would have questioned the Osgaliath encounter in the first place wondering how it moved from Rohan to Osgaliath so fast. So, moving from Rohan (defeat of Saruman) to Osgaliath (Frodo) and back to Rohan (Pippin palantir)?..... gimme a break.

Jackson is an idiot for making up that Osgaliath part.</div>

#57850  by Stephen
 Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:14 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Well, at least she didn't whine about how Tom Bombadil's absence ruined the first movie.</div>

#57858  by Zeus
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:45 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>When i watched the movies, i never thought of him as weak....but he wasn't Arnold of the 80's either, which would have really gone over poorly in today's audience. Also, it's more effective to have it as a true group effort, with basically everyone in the movie helping</div>

#57860  by G-man Joe
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:00 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>Did you read the trilogy? Coz you wouldn't say this if you did.</div>

#57876  by SineSwiper
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:11 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Proof that PJ's rewrites had repercussions far beyond the event itself.</div>
 #57885  by G-man Joe
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:10 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>
In movie 2 Saruman gets defeated, so Sauron has to think the ring is still in Rohan... suddenly Frodo shows him its in Osgaliath.
Movie 3, Pippin looks into the palantir, which in the book forces Sauron to continue to think the ring is in the Rohan area while Frodo sneaks farther into Mordor. Although in the movie version this would make any intelligent person balk because there is no way the ring could have moved from Osgaliath to Rohan, in fact he would have questioned the Osgaliath encounter in the first place wondering how it moved from Rohan to Osgaliath so fast. So, moving from Rohan (defeat of Saruman) to Osgaliath (Frodo) and back to Rohan (Pippin palantir)?..... gimme a break.
....Sauron did send a massive army into Osgiliath. He knew if Saruman could delay or even defeat the Rohirim at Helm's Deep, this would prevent reinforcements from getting to Osgiliath. That is why his forces were so much more massive at Minas Tirith after the fall of Osgiliath, since he got no word of finding the ring there.
Jackson is an idiot for making up that Osgaliath part.
</div>
 #57886  by G-man Joe
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:11 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>

....Sauron did send a massive army into Osgiliath. He knew if Saruman could delay or even defeat the Rohirim at Helm's Deep, this would prevent reinforcements from getting to Osgiliath. That is why his forces were so much more massive at Minas Tirith after the fall of Osgiliath, since he got no word of finding the ring there.
Jackson is an idiot for making up that Osgaliath part.
</div>

#57898  by Zeus
 Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:02 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>12 years ago, I loved it. Couldn't wait for the films. And I understand that Jackson did change things around, but unlike a lot of uber-geeks, I'm OK with it since he did it so well on film, something that's not easy to do. And Frodo being Arnold of the 80's would have killed the movies, period</div>

#57899  by SineSwiper
 Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:30 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>This "Frodo being Arnold of the 80's" idea you're kicking around is a way overexagration of the book's version of Frodo.</div>

#57913  by G-man Joe
 Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:57 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>How is Frodo standing up to the Wraiths (like in the book) going to RUIN the trilogy? Please elaborate. I'll start a new thread just for you to answer this, in case this one expires.</div>