The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Silent Hill movie with Brotherhood of the Wolf director Cristophe Gans. Interested?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#57854  by Stephen
 Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:39 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I expect lots of style and lots of violence. Given what other videogame movies have to offer, and assuming Gans delivers what I think he'll deliver, I'll be satisfied.</div>

#57857  by Zeus
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:43 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Konami has veto power over the script and production of the film. Yes, yes I am</div>

#57859  by Stephen
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:49 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Oh, great. That means some Japanese game programmer with barely a rudimentary sense of what makes a good story has the power to nullify a script written by a professional. It's Capcom and George Romero all over again.</div>

#57862  by G-man Joe
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:53 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>All Your FLESH Are Belong To Us!</div>

#57863  by Kupek
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:57 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Yes, because in large videogame companies, they give programmers creative control over movie scripts.</div>

#57866  by Blackage
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:43 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I read his script, it was nothing special. Not only that he killed off Barry, which sucks. :P Not that I'm defending Anderson's version or anything, cause it was only decent for what it was.</div>

#57867  by Stephen
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:18 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>So did I, and yes, it had its problems. Two things to keep in mind, though: 1) It was a first draft (scripts typically go through several revisions). 2) Romero's scripts always read worse than they play on film. He puts WAY too many ellipses in his dialogue.</div>
 #57868  by Stephen
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:35 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Don't misunderstand: Silent Hill is owned by Konami, and they have every right to dictate the requirements of a Silent Hill movie. Whether or not said requirements will result in a good script and a good film, however, is in question. Is there anyone who works at Konami who has intimate knowledge of how to write or direct a good film? Do we want videogame executives dictating the artistic terms upon which the Silent Hill movie will be made? You may think I'm assuming too much, but consider if the positions were reversed. Suppose Silent Hill originally started off as a movie, and Konami wanted to make a game about it. Would you feel comfortable, if you were a game developer, with a bunch of Paramount or Tristar executives who have little to no knowledge about making games telling you how they want the game to be made? I wouldn't. And I doubt Cristophe Gans wants some Konami producer telling him how to make a Silent Hill movie, either.

This isn't about who has the "right" to tell whom how to make a movie. Konami can demand whatever it wants of Mr. Gans. This is about who has the necessary expertise to make a good movie. As far as I know, no one in Konami with the possible exception of Hideo Kojima (and I'd be wary of him, too) seems to have the know-how to write a good script and turn it into a decent film.</div>

#57869  by Kupek
 Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:52 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Well, I actually did get your point, but I think final creative control is to be expected with any licensed work. And I'd expect a final "yea" or "nay" to not be intrusive in the creative process, but that could end up being the case.</div>

#57871  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:28 am
<div style='font: 10pt georgia; text-align: left; '>I don't think it's unfair for the owners of intellectual property to want to have control over how their intellectual property is used.</div>

#57873  by Stephen
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:30 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Of course it's fair. But is it wise for a company with no experience in making films to dictate creative terms to filmmakers?</div>

#57874  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:18 am
<div style='font: 10pt georgia; text-align: left; '>No, but why are you assuming that Konami are going to try and dictate creative terms to the filmmakers? Konami's veto power allows them to ensure the film is true to the source material. If the filmmakers don't want to operate with those restrictions, they should produce non-licensed material.</div>

#57879  by Gentz
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:56 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I think the Romero-Capcom situation does serve as a good precedent for a complaint (or at least an apprehension)</div>

#57883  by Stephen
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:00 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I wasn't assuming anything of the sort. I was, however, expressing a concern that it might happen. As Gentz mentioned below, the Capcom-Romero debacle justifies my apprehension.</div>

#57891  by NEO_Ronin121
 Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:14 pm
<div style='font: 10pt ; text-align: left; '>dammit, thats my line!</div>

#57893  by SineSwiper
 Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:32 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Enlighten me for people who don't understand The Great Capcom-Romero War of 1902...</div>

#57896  by Zeus
 Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:58 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>As Paul Anderson is the only one who has ever made a (two) movie(s) based on a video game that's been any good, I'd say they have the right to have some control, at least so Hollywood doesn't fuck it up. Why do you think Marvel films have turned out so much better now that Arad has certain control?</div>

#57897  by Zeus
 Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:00 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>The reason so many movies licenced from games or comics have been so bad is because there was no creative control at all from the originators, which led to Hollywood doing what it wanted while neglecting what made the property popular in the first place</div>
 #57905  by Stephen
 Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:08 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>In the case of some egregious creative error that shows either ignorance or contempt for the source material, like the Super Mario Brothers movie, then of course control should be exerted. I have no idea what kind of film Cristophe Gans is going to make with Silent Hill, but somehow I doubt that he'll go and turn it into a romantic comedy or something similarly stupid. He's a professional director with a good film (Brotherhood of the Wolf) under his belt, and you may rest assured that he probably knows more about filmmaking than any of the staff at Konami. In short, my worry isn't whether Gans is going to create something that isn't "true" or "faithful" to Silent Hill; it's whether Konami will narrowly dictate to him what a "true" and "faithful" adaptation of Silent Hill should be.</div>
 #57906  by Stephen
 Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:35 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Back in the mid-late nineties, Capcom placed Geroge Romero in charge of writing and directing a film adaptation of the Resident Evil games. The move acknowledged the games' massive debt to Romero's famous zombie film trilogy, and was generally hailed by horror fans as a potentially daring departure from the norm of safe, inoffensive and generally boring videogame-adapted films. For his part, Romero promised a film that respected the spirit of the games, despite admitting that he'd never played them (though he claimed to watching someone else play through the first game in its entirety), and hinted that there would be two versions of the movie: an R-rated one for the theaters, and an NC-17 director's cut with loads of gore, violence, and everything else generally expected of a movie that posits cannibalism as its predominant theme.

But as time passed with little word of what was going on with the Romero version, Capcom suddenly announced that Romero had been dropped from the project. Not many quite know what happened, but the stated reason for the firing was Capcom's belief that the project deviated from what they wanted to see in a Resident Evil movie, that Romero's script wasn't any good, and that he was taking too many liberties; "he had zombies wearing sunglasses" claimed one Capcom official. The project floated in limbo until, for whatever reasons, Capcom decided to hand the reins over to Paul Anderson. The rest is history.

Not much remains of the Romero-Capcom legacy save a first draft of a script and several accounts of "what happened" from various sources. You can find those on the Internet without too much trouble, so I'll save myself the burden of recounting them here.</div>

#57907  by Eric
 Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:07 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>You forgot to mention the part when they tried to get him back but he told them to piss off and wasn't interested anymore. Which is why they settled on Anderson.</div>

#57908  by Stephen
 Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:53 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I hadn't heard that, actually.</div>

#57917  by Torgo
 Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:42 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Yeah, it was schlocky, but it was much more true to the game, even with the libertieshe tookwith some of the characters.</div>

#57951  by Zeus
 Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:42 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Enough to say "no" anything that would ruin the film</div>