The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I just saw Star Trek Nemesis for the first time. What a waste of what could have been a good movie. Spoilers.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #59731  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:21 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I bought the DVD along with the third season of Voyager (don't ask me why I got that one either, I only planned on getting seasons 4 and 5 which aren't out yet, but I saw it there and a display for it, it was a pure impulse buy, oh well).

Now I know the whole thing about even number star trek movies supposedly being better than the odd numbered ones. I think this rule only held true for the first six though; speaking of which, I found the plot of Nemesis to be very similar to Undiscovered Nation (part 6), but NO WHERE NEAR as good. The reason being is that Nemesis focussed VERY heavily on the action sequences, it reminded me much more of a Star Wars, Farscape, or Andromeda movie, each of those series I can say I can't stand watching. My major complaint was that the one thing that made Star Trek better than space fantasy shows/movies was that it really wasn't about the whole space travel thing, but about something deeper which often resembled a delema existing in our own society or history. This movie, Nemesis was nothing of the sort, the dilema was that Shinzon wanted revenge on the Romulans for enslaving the only friends he ever knew the Remans, so he conquered Romulus; there was very little focus on this. This movie could and should have followed an updated formula of Undiscovered Country (As a refreshment for those who don't remember it: The Klingons can either fight or sue for peace, that is the only way they will survive, there are two factions. The Enterprize "fires" on the Klingon vessel which holds the Chancellor, but it seemed to fire on its own. Two enterpize crewmen beam aboard in suits with magnetic boots and assassinate the Klingon Chancellor while the entire ship has no gravity, it's fairly cool scene. Kirk and Bones are accused of murder and sent to a slave colony; they escape of course, after a near assassination attempt. It is discovered there is a conspiracy and they are forced to discover who in the Klingon Empire and the Federation who mastermined the whole event which might prevent Federation/Klingon peace talks. It is discovered that the Enterprize didn't fire, but rather a Bird of Prey which can fire while cloaked, which fired from directly in front of the Enterprize; there is a climactic battle. Then the crew go and prevent the assassination of the Klingon Head Minister and Chancellor.). Anyways, as for villains, Shinzon was fairly cool, you can tell that he was based heavily on General Chang (Klingon General from Undiscovered Nation who mastermined the whole thing), but somehow he seemed like a less solid character; it almost seemed like Chang was an evolved and improved version of Shinzon, though Chang came 10 years earlier.

The battle scenes seemed to go on way too long, the ships firred on each other like a thousand times each without doing much damage. It is also incredibly cheesy how the following things all seem to occur: Shinzon, a Human, who happens to be dying manages to gather other slaves and build the most powerful ship in history, uses it to conquer the Romulan Empire killing millions of them in the process, and he also happens to be dying at the time and requires Captain Picards body within hours (he is a clone of Picard and is like 50 years younger or something). Also, is it just me, or does Shinzon's outfit look too much like Emperor Ming from Flash Gordon? (if anyone ever watched any ancient chessy fantasy/science fiction movies). Anyways, Shinzon's ultimate plan is to use the ship to destroy Earth for some very poorly justified reason, and if it is not destroyed, he will do it. Anyways, there was an hour long boring ship battle, which was a very glorified version of the battle between Chang in the Bird of Prey, the Enterprize, and the other Federation ship; and somehow looked much more fake despite having CG 10 years ahead of its predecessor.

Anyways, I think the problem with Nemesis was that they tried to do too much in the plot, the consequences were so large that it was unbelievable. Also, the fact that it was not a drama/Science Fiction like the previous movies, but an action/Fantasy film.

As for my favourites, I have seen 1-4, but I don't remember anything about any of them. Part 5 I don't even know what it's called or any details about it. Part 6 was my favourite, I hated Star Trek with a passion at the time it came out though, and I only watched it (I'd seen it before, but never really payed attention to it) after seeing Generations, needless to say I liked it more than Generations (special effects and such were on part with Generations, so it was really about the plot). I can't really say which one I liked most out of Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection, I liked them all about the same.

In conclusion, if you're into the whole space battle type thing, and that sort of stuff; if you like things along the lines of Farscape, Andromeda, Star Wars, you might like this one a lot (Nemesis DEFINITELY falls into that genre). If you're more into the aspect surrounding different cultures, moral dilema's, parallel's with history and current society, etc... Then you probably shouldn't waste your time on this movie if you already haven't.

<b>Spoiler Message:<b>
<span style="background: black; color: black;">I bought the DVD along with the third season of Voyager (don't ask me why I got that one either, I only planned on getting seasons 4 and 5 which aren't out yet, but I saw it there and a display for it, it was a pure impulse buy, oh well).

Now I know the whole thing about even number star trek movies supposedly being better than the odd numbered ones. I think this rule only held true for the first six though; speaking of which, I found the plot of Nemesis to be very similar to Undiscovered Nation (part 6), but NO WHERE NEAR as good. The reason being is that Nemesis focussed VERY heavily on the action sequences, it reminded me much more of a Star Wars, Farscape, or Andromeda movie, each of those series I can say I can't stand watching. My major complaint was that the one thing that made Star Trek better than space fantasy shows/movies was that it really wasn't about the whole space travel thing, but about something deeper which often resembled a delema existing in our own society or history. This movie, Nemesis was nothing of the sort, the dilema was that Shinzon wanted revenge on the Romulans for enslaving the only friends he ever knew the Remans, so he conquered Romulus; there was very little focus on this. This movie could and should have followed an updated formula of Undiscovered Country (As a refreshment for those who don't remember it: The Klingons can either fight or sue for peace, that is the only way they will survive, there are two factions. The Enterprize "fires" on the Klingon vessel which holds the Chancellor, but it seemed to fire on its own. Two enterpize crewmen beam aboard in suits with magnetic boots and assassinate the Klingon Chancellor while the entire ship has no gravity, it's fairly cool scene. Kirk and Bones are accused of murder and sent to a slave colony; they escape of course, after a near assassination attempt. It is discovered there is a conspiracy and they are forced to discover who in the Klingon Empire and the Federation who mastermined the whole event which might prevent Federation/Klingon peace talks. It is discovered that the Enterprize didn't fire, but rather a Bird of Prey which can fire while cloaked, which fired from directly in front of the Enterprize; there is a climactic battle. Then the crew go and prevent the assassination of the Klingon Head Minister and Chancellor.). Anyways, as for villains, Shinzon was fairly cool, you can tell that he was based heavily on General Chang (Klingon General from Undiscovered Nation who mastermined the whole thing), but somehow he seemed like a less solid character; it almost seemed like Chang was an evolved and improved version of Shinzon, though Chang came 10 years earlier.

The battle scenes seemed to go on way too long, the ships firred on each other like a thousand times each without doing much damage. It is also incredibly cheesy how the following things all seem to occur: Shinzon, a Human, who happens to be dying manages to gather other slaves and build the most powerful ship in history, uses it to conquer the Romulan Empire killing millions of them in the process, and he also happens to be dying at the time and requires Captain Picards body within hours (he is a clone of Picard and is like 50 years younger or something). Also, is it just me, or does Shinzon's outfit look too much like Emperor Ming from Flash Gordon? (if anyone ever watched any ancient chessy fantasy/science fiction movies). Anyways, Shinzon's ultimate plan is to use the ship to destroy Earth for some very poorly justified reason, and if it is not destroyed, he will do it. Anyways, there was an hour long boring ship battle, which was a very glorified version of the battle between Chang in the Bird of Prey, the Enterprize, and the other Federation ship; and somehow looked much more fake despite having CG 10 years ahead of its predecessor.

Anyways, I think the problem with Nemesis was that they tried to do too much in the plot, the consequences were so large that it was unbelievable. Also, the fact that it was not a drama/Science Fiction like the previous movies, but an action/Fantasy film.

As for my favourites, I have seen 1-4, but I don't remember anything about any of them. Part 5 I don't even know what it's called or any details about it. Part 6 was my favourite, I hated Star Trek with a passion at the time it came out though, and I only watched it (I'd seen it before, but never really payed attention to it) after seeing Generations, needless to say I liked it more than Generations (special effects and such were on part with Generations, so it was really about the plot). I can't really say which one I liked most out of Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection, I liked them all about the same.

In conclusion, if you're into the whole space battle type thing, and that sort of stuff; if you like things along the lines of Farscape, Andromeda, Star Wars, you might like this one a lot (Nemesis DEFINITELY falls into that genre). If you're more into the aspect surrounding different cultures, moral dilema's, parallel's with history and current society, etc... Then you probably shouldn't waste your time on this movie if you already haven't.</span></div>

#59733  by Eric
 Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:00 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>I loved First Contact with The Borg, they're such an interesting race.</div>

#59734  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:44 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Whoa that's messed up, I don't remember copying anything, yet my entire post is also in the spoiler box. Hmmmmm....</div>
 #59735  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:15 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Another thing about the Borg that really makes them interesting is that they are probably the closest thing to pure evil ever seen in science fiction. In fantasy you have things like the Dark side of the Force, Sauron the embodyment of pure evil, Dracula the Prince of Darkness, etc... But the Borg, they are evil because they are pure utilitarian who constantly are trying to achieve perfection, they believe they are far superior to everyone else. This essentially makes them very similar to Nazis; 60 years later you still can't joke about the Nazi's, Hitler is often equated to the Antichrist, and the word Nazi is almost synoymous with evil.

So who are the Borg? They are Nazi-Vampire-Zerg-Terminators.</div>

#59754  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:30 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I think the Phalanx from Marvel's universe was a better version of the Borg.</div>

#59769  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:14 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Never heard of them. I don't see how the likes of Marvel could invent a race better than the Borg though. The best thing they ever came up with was Wolverine, Batman, or Superman. Magneto was kind of cool too.</div>

#59794  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:19 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://pc59te.dte.uma.es/cdb/series/mar ... m">Forgive the bad background...</a>

If you're familar with Generation X, it was around that time in Marvel. Look up the Phalanx Convenant.</div>

#59797  by Derithian
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:00 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Batman or superman........fucking moron</div>

#59799  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:15 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Obviously not a comic book fan. Oh yeah...that's right: they are total trash to him.</div>

#59805  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:30 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Do you have a serious problem with Batman and Superman? You're worse than Comic Book Guy. By the way, I'm not getting into any ridiculous comic book arguments, because frankly I don't give a monkeys ass.</div>

#59808  by Lox
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:57 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>He actually means that DC created Batman and Superman. Marvel created Wolverine and Magneto. Seperate companies.</div>

#59809  by Lox
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:58 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>He actually means that Batman and Superman belong to DC.  Wolverine and Magneto belong to Marvel.  Seperate companies.</div>

#59817  by Eric
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:05 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>I don't understand how you can dis comics so hard, but be a fan of anime, considering almost every anime is a manga(comic) to begin with...except for OVAs, duh.</div>

#59820  by Derithian
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:22 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah they are for kids because they have pictures and don't go over any mature subjects..........yeah</div>

#59821  by Derithian
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:30 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>3 reasons. A) I don't like you and B) You failed to make a distinction that 5 year olds could man so yes 3) You're a fucking moron</div>

#59831  by Derithian
 Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:18 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>because anything he doesn't understand or respect is worthless and should be seen as such byu everyone. for his name is Yahweh and his word is law. HIS SON DIED FOR YOU! Agree with him dammit!!!!!</div>