The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Lars Ulrich: "And I hope that he gets a chance to see the film, or sneak in and see it, or somebody sends him a copy, maybe he'll feel different about it."

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #59968  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:45 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ">Yes...he said that.</a>

Lars Ulrich: "And I hope that he gets a chance to see the film, or sneak in and see it, or somebody sends him a copy, maybe he'll feel different about it."</div>

#59970  by Gentz
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:46 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I don't understand how Metallica can be hailed as the kings of metal while at the same time being the biggest fucking drama queens in rock history</div>

#59971  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:30 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I always thought ACDC was the top metal band ever.</div>

#59972  by Flip
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:40 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Tahoma; text-align: left; '>See, i would have thought Kiss was.</div>

#59973  by Kupek
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:48 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Listen to ...And Justice For All a few hundred times. :)</div>
 #59974  by Gentz
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:15 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>That little bitch Ulrich especially. This on-going Mustaine thing, the Napster lawsuit...hell, that new Metallica documentary is apparently mostly about the band going into therapy to learn how to 'communicate' with one another. Gimme a fucking break.</div>

#59975  by Gentz
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:17 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Over Metallica? Hardly.</div>

#59976  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:11 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I don't really have much of an opinion on the subject, I am not a fan of either band and have almost 0 opinion on their music; however, judging by the covers I've heard in bars just about anywhere I go, I hear ACDC done WAY more than any other metal band.</div>

#59979  by Gentz
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:31 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>AC/DC isn't as dark as Metallica. They make a better pop act.</div>

#59984  by the Gray
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:53 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>the Black album and before was Metallica's heyday. AC/DC still rocks, they stole the fucking event from the Rolling Stones at SARSfest up here last year.</div>

#59987  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:26 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>They have 19 multi-platnum albums. Back In Black alone sold 42 million copies world wide, which is about the same as Metallica's total album sales. Plus just ask people, ACDC is more popular.</div>

#59988  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:30 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>That was one giant event too, largest attendance in North American History.</div>

#59991  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:12 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Fuck that...listen to all of their instrumental pieces. Excellent work there, and it was all brought to an end when Cliff died.</div>

#59992  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:13 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I hear the Canadian govt is still reeling from that one.</div>

#59994  by Torgo
 Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:38 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I love both bands. I wish they'd just count their money, quit they're bitching and keep making music.</div>

#59999  by Gentz
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:01 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Umm...that's basically what I just said. AC/DC's style and subject matter is more accessible to a general audience than Metallica's, hence, they make a better pop act than Metallica. Most metal fans, however, would choose Metallica over AC/DC</div>

#60001  by Stephen
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:54 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>You mean it's actually possible to rock out to S&M?</div>

#60002  by Gentz
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:22 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Umm...that's basically what I said. AC/DC's style and subject matter is more accessible to a general audience than Metallica's, hence, they make a better pop act than Metallica. Most metal fans, however, would put Metallica before AC/DC.</div>

#60003  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:08 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I don't think so. Maybe among those metal fans who are metallica fans. In general, ACDC is much bigger among metal fans. What you're saying is similar to saying that Justin Timberlake is bigger than the Michael Jackson among pop/dance fans.</div>

#60004  by Kupek
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:24 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I don't even consider AC/DC metal. I think of them as hard rock. I don't think they're heavy enough to be metal. And yeah, I think most recent Metallica is more hard rock than metal.</div>

#60005  by Kupek
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:25 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you referring to the concert they did with a symphony? I thought that was awesome. But I don't see how you connected that to Cliff Burton.</div>

#60006  by Kupek
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:26 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Like the ten minute instrumental on Justice For All?</div>
 #60007  by Gentz
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:00 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>But a list that puts AC/DC over Metallica will probably also include bands like Def Leppard and The Scorpions. This is metal written for a generalized, pop audience, and so, while they may generate larger crowds and more record sales overall, this fact alone does not entail their status as "top metal band ever" in any really definitive way. A much larger percentage of self-professed metal-fans will claim to identify with Metallica over AC/DC. And when talking about the top metal band ever, I think it would be preferrable to seek out those who appreciate metal music above all else. Of course, neither system can really be considered to give a "definitive" answer above the other - but there's more to the greatness of a band than simply their overall popularity from a random cross-section of people.

Anyway, I don't think Metallica could actually be considered the "kings of metal" in any circle, to tell you the truth - that was more or less just an expression. But among metal circles they are certainly more popular than AC/DC (Hell, a lot of metal fans don't even <I>consider</i> Metallica to be metal anymore - let alone Angus & the Gang).</div>

#60008  by Gentz
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:01 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Yeah, AC/DC is closer to Poison than Iron Maiden.</div>

#60009  by Stephen
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:48 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I don't know who Cliff Burton is, but I thought Sine was talking about Metallica's instrumental pieces. If he wasn't, then I goofed. As for S&M, I think it's bombastic silliness, but I think that about every attempt to "fuse" classical with rock/metal.</div>

#60012  by Kupek
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:05 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>It's a symphony backing up their stuff; I thought it worked well on most songs. Your comment still doesn't make sense, though. They've had purely instrumental pieces ever since their first album.</div>

#60014  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:33 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Iron Maiden is not regular metal, they're heavy metal, which is a punk influenced metal. Metallica though, isn't considered heavy metal, they're thrash metal.</div>
 #60015  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:02 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '><I> A much larger percentage of self-professed metal-fans will claim to identify with Metallica over AC/DC.</I>

I disagree here, I think the vast majority of metal fans prefer AC/DC to Metallica (I'm talking about the type who pretty much only listen to metal, own a bike, and spend half their salary on their sound system). In fact, prretty much anyone who I knew who was a Metallica fan was also into the goth stuff, Marilyn Manson, Tool, and bands like that as well; I don't consider them metal fans, I consider fans of depressing music. Metal doesn't have to be depressing, that was just because of Black Sabbath's input; however, I think most people with extensive knowledge of music from 1960 and on would agree that Metal spawned mainly from Led Zeppelin.

Disimissing AC/DC fans as pop fans is just an easy way out (for Metallica fans) of acknowledging that AC/DC is a much bigger band than Metallica. It's the same sort of deal when "Tool" fans dismiss Pearl Jam and Nirvana as pop to say Tool was bigger among fans of alternative music. The thing about "Pop music" is that it is not a real genre of music, it has a bunch of different definitions, the most popular definition is that pop music is any music from a band that is on a big record label, has music video's etc... The North American version generally refers to dance music which has a love theme and is manufactured: The song Billie Jean off the album Thriller (worlds best selling album) would be the defining song of this style of music. AC/DC does not fall into this category, it falls into the first category, but so do Iron Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy Ozbourne, Kiss, and mostly every band you probably listen to.</div>

#60020  by Stephen
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:52 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Goof on my part. I just dumbly assumed he was talking about S&M.</div>

#60021  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:20 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Uhhh...no. I was talking about the instrumental songs on Metallica's old shit. You know, songs like: Orion, To Live Is to Die, and all of those great solos in the middle of many of the songs.</div>

#60022  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:21 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Fuck yeah! Probably the best Metallica song ever!</div>
 #60023  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:28 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>He died in the middle of And Justice for All. He wrote a lot of material for Metallica (take a look at the different song credits for Justice and before) and was a great influence for the awesome solos throughout the albums. Metallica was just fucking lost without him, and has been ever since. (They've had, what, three other replacement bassists? They think they hire the right guy to replace his influence, but the real band is already gone.)

Heh...think a bassist can't make or break a band? Just look at Metallica.</div>

#60025  by Torgo
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:31 am
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I'm partial to Call of Ktulu meself.</div>

#60026  by Torgo
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:34 am
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>You'll have a field day with Yngwie Malmsteen.</div>

#60027  by Kupek
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:08 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I agree, it's one of their best, but, uh, that's post-Cliff Burton.</div>

#60028  by Kupek
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:10 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>No, he died while touring for Master of Puppets. They hadn't started recording Justice For All yet. It's been a while since I looked, but I don't think he has any writing credits for Justice For All.</div>

#60029  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:35 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.encycmet.com/songs/sj2l2die. ... cyclopedia Metallica, so I guess it's accurate</a>

Only Live/Die, and is "actually based on a number of riffs that Cliff wrote a couple of years ago". Notice how nothing like that has been written ever since.</div>

#60030  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:40 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>But still co-written by him. See above.</div>

#60031  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:58 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I dunno...it's good but not enough riffs in that one. (Repeats the same ones too many times.) I guess strike it up to me being more of a Dream Theater fan, and you veering in the tastes of punk.</div>

#60046  by Kupek
 Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:28 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Well, so he did. But the rest of the songs on that album are also excellent. It was after Justice that their sound changed, but I don't think it's because Cliff died. When the black album came out, they had been around for ten years. They didn't want to keep doing the same thing over and over.</div>