The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Since it got deleted before I could read the responses: I actually liked Resident Evil 2. Thought it was on par with the first (if you liked that one, you should like this one). I'm not overly attached to the games aside from the first (and the spectacula

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #60772  by Zeus
 Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:35 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Since it got deleted before I could read the responses: I actually liked Resident Evil 2. Thought it was on par with the first (if you liked that one, you should like this one). I'm not overly attached to the games aside from the first (and the spectacular remake), so I liked the changes.</div>

#60773  by Eric
 Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:39 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>There's a big surprised, YOU liked it, I didn't see it coming....No really! You, liking a bad movie, it came outta left field that one did. If I closed my eyes and predicted the future that was the last thing I would have predicted! I had NO CLUE! Really!</div>

#60779  by Derithian
 Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:08 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>c'mon eric it was bad but it wasn't THAT bad. I mean I laughed my ass off when nik got killed by the dogs....that was just funny</div>

#60780  by Flip
 Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:21 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Tahoma; text-align: left; '>Dont start with that again, poor Zeus has to resort to extreme sarcasm just a while ago due to a-hole comments like this.</div>

#60781  by Flip
 Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:23 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Tahoma; text-align: left; '>Dont start with that again, poor Zeus had to resort to extreme sarcasm just a little while ago due to a-hole comments like this.</div>

#60782  by Eric
 Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:31 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Resident Evil was fucking horrible, there's absolutely no excuse for throwing this movie in the "I actually liked it!" category!</div>

#60783  by Eric
 Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:32 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>No, that sucked. That movie sucked, it had no redeeming values.</div>

#60784  by Zeus
 Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:37 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Did you like the first one?</div>

#60789  by Eric
 Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:15 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>I'm with you there Zeusy, I enjoyed the first one, because it stood alone, but when you add things from the game and butcher them I'm gonna get pissed.</div>

#60798  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:43 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I can see where you're coming from. I didn't really like the games beyond the first (I haven't played CV or Zero yet), so I wasn't overly attached to Nemesis. Thus, the changes didn't bother me. What I really like, though, is how they've added Alice into the picture. I think it's pretty good</div>

#60832  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:12 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>RE2 was pure Hollywood bullshit, and this is coming from somebody unfamilar with the game. The movie has plotholes you could fly a 747 into, and enough cliches to make you choke on your popcorn. The first one was definately better.</div>

#60837  by Eric
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:57 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>*sniff* sometimes you make me cry tears of joy....heh.</div>

#60845  by Zeus
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:10 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Cliches are standard nowadays, you just can't get away from them. The first one had just as many if not more. Which plot holes you talking about? It was a very simplistic plot, yes, but it wasn't that full of holes. And being unfamiliar with the games actually helps with these movies</div>
 #60879  by SineSwiper
 Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:14 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>The ending where Jill/Carlos just so happens to get level 6 clearance to run away with Alice. Angie has to constantly get antidote shots, but Carlos just gets his one. Zombies that come up from the graves; how the hell did they get the virus? The ease that Umbrella was able to pass off a "nuclear accident" story, despite the fact that the epicenter was not near the nuclear plant. Creating a huge husking Nemesis, solely for the purpose of arming him with large weapons. (Gee, of course the STARS guys died. Automatic chaingun beats a bunch of rifles every time.)

A lot of them were the "right place, right time" holes. Not impossible, but very very improbable. So much so that my "suspension of disbelief" gauge when off the scale and made my brain hurt. I think the Mummy comparison fits nicely. The first one was a little cheesy, but definitely a good flick. The second went way over the top and packed too many Hollywood cliches and plotholes (Let's outrace the speed of light!) into a festering pile of Hollywood garbage.</div>
 #60896  by Zeus
 Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:33 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '><i>The ending where Jill/Carlos just so happens to get level 6 clearance to run away with Alice</i>

Yeah, whatever. They found a way in, whatever. Not the best, but quite normal. And it helps lead into the next film and that they actually let her get away, like the first time. Fits well with the story (Alice escaping, etc.)

<i>Angie has to constantly get antidote shots, but Carlos just gets his one </i>

Carlos was infected for what, a couple of hours? Angie was infected for years.....

<i>Zombies that come up from the graves; how the hell did they get the virus? </i>

Yeah, that was stupid. That's the one I bitched about a lot.

<i>The ease that Umbrella was able to pass off a "nuclear accident" story, despite the fact that the epicenter was not near the nuclear plant.</i>

How the hell do you know where the nuclear plant is? Seriously, don't look at the movie in that much detail, it's not meant to be Total Recall Starship Troopers

<i>Creating a huge husking Nemesis, solely for the purpose of arming him with large weapons. (Gee, of course the STARS guys died. Automatic chaingun beats a bunch of rifles every time.) </i>

That's how he was in the game, huge with a rocker launcher. His sole purpose in the third game was to kill the Stars members (hence, the "Staaaaars" line that was a direct rip from the game) and to be the braun for Umbrella. That was the game tie in and if they did anything different, they would have been skewered even more than giving him "heart" at the end (lame, but it fit the storyline and connection with the first).

Seriously, this is not supposed to be a deep movie. Of course they're going to use some cliches, that's what studio movie making is all about these days (ie. Sony wouldn't even let the film get made without some cliches). Why do you think so many cliches appear even in the better films? You just have to live with it. It's supposed to be a fun waste of time based on the games with some additions (as Alice was in the original). It's rare when you get a movie that's like that but becomes a very deep film story- and/or culture-wise when you start to nitpick it (Starship Troopers is one of the few)</div>

#60898  by Zeus
 Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:35 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Sorry, forgot the "Story Spoiler" tag</div>