The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Jass Wheedon is a bastard and a 2-bit hack

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #60808  by Derithian
 Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:49 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Jass Wheedon is a bastard and a 2-bit hack</div>

#60809  by Eric
 Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:00 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Joss Whedon rocks, he made Angel & Buffy 2 of my favorite series ever, hopefully he'll direct X-men 3.</div>

#60810  by Derithian
 Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:43 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>fucker has no right to do an x-men movie....I love angel I love buffy I love firly but that fucker has no right involving himslef in the X_men</div>

#60811  by Eric
 Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:56 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>He's already involved in the comic, what's your problem?</div>

#60812  by Derithian
 Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:55 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>You read his comic? I give him one issue to right his major fuck up and if he can it's a dammed miracle....even his writing can't save his fucking retarded decisions</div>

#60813  by Eric
 Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:13 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>It's a six parter....give it time, Whedon tends to be somewhat sadistic. :P</div>

#60814  by Derithian
 Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:50 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '> first 3 1/2 issues, fantastic. last 3 pages of issue four and I took it off my pull list. good writing can't save a fucking retarded decision</div>

#60815  by Kupek
 Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:02 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>He somehow has less right than any other writer?</div>

#60816  by the Gray
 Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:53 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Derithian has strong opinions on all things X-men, unless it was Claremont writing I don't think he'd be happy.</div>

#60817  by Derithian
 Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:34 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>oh no. i'm just angry. fucker decided to bring back the one x-man that most mans considered fully and completely dead. and how in ther hell do they get off using the "he was never dead" excuse on a guy that was cremated</div>

#60818  by Derithian
 Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:35 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>plus I hate clairemont too. generally I hate almost all of marvel outside of one or 2 books</div>

#60821  by the Gray
 Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:59 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>yeah, my roomate and I aren't too pleased about that. The Sinister explanation doesn't fly with me either.</div>

#60824  by Derithian
 Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:57 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah the dealer preview that I read just pissed my ass off</div>

#60825  by Eric
 Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:05 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Oh gimmie a break Derith, this is Marvel, if they want to bring back a character they can do it however they want.</div>

#60826  by Derithian
 Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:22 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>yeah and marvel is proving why they are a sub-par company with their decisions and writing. I was a marvel fanboy up till last month when this and their avengers dissembled crap turned me off completely....</div>

#60828  by Eric
 Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:26 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>That didn't come out right, what I meant to say is, this isn't the first time a character has returned from the dead, this IS marvel we're talking about here.</div>

#60831  by Derithian
 Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:56 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>And it shows why I don't like them right now. They do revive characters all the time but there were 3 characters that were considered off limits even by the publishers. Uncle Ben, Bucky, and Colossus. The fact that they let him do this is gross and a stupid story to it</div>

#60834  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:19 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Pardon my ignorance, but what the fuck are you guys talking about?! Who did they "bring back from the dead"?</div>
 #60835  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:28 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I could literally see the quality of the animation and storylines drop right after the AoA saga and everybody flocked to Image. Generation X's and X-Men 2099's quality-drop was my first hint, and the Onslaught saga's "gotta collect them all" bullshit (almost RIGHT AFTER the AoA saga) totally turned me off to Marvel period. I haven't gone back to comic books ever since, partly because I don't have the time any more. (Trying to keep up with protecting the things with sleeves/backers was annoying, too.)

So, what's the newest shit hot comic book company that's producing good stories? (Don't say DC...they died when Marvel was formed. On that note, I can't fucking stand all of this Superman worship on TV/movies.)</div>

#60838  by Lox
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:14 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Actually, DC has quite a few good books (despite your apparently highly-researched opinion on it) and there are several that aren't part of any "universe" like Y: The Last Man. Derith can tell you more.</div>

#60842  by Kupek
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:58 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Considering that Joss' script had to be okayed by the big shots at Marvel, he must not have been considered that much off limits.</div>

#60850  by Derithian
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:50 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>no it was. they just liked his explanation so much they allowed it. Then of course the explanation is retarded as hell. Then again Marvel is a sub par company right now so I really don't care about them</div>
 #60852  by Derithian
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:35 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Yes DC sure does suck. Why because of vertigo. Sandman and SwampThing were terrible comics noone should read. I mean all they are is ingenious pieces of art and story. And yes, produced by DC. Want a list of really high quality books by both DC and Marvel here

DC:
JLA: auctually this 6 issue austen run it's currently in is terrible. But read what's coming up next. Some great arcs.

Legion: The Legion of Superheroes from 3000 years in the future is both insanely fun and well written.

Batman:All the batt related books are in the midde of the best comic arc in years. Fucking fantastic is the War Games. If you think comics are for kids read this...they aren't for kids.

Adventures of Superman: Normally I fucking hate superman but what they are doing to him in this is fabulous. really tearing his life apart.

Superman: Actually is in an amazing arc right now too because there is something more powerfull than him to contend with. Avoid action comics like the plague though. not bad but it sure ain't good.

Teen Titans: About to go into a crossover with the Legion of Superheroes before they bring back the Legion series as another ongoing.

Greeen Arrow: Easily the best hero out there. or at least my favorite. Is in the middle of a great arc right now but Kevin Smith and Mike Grells runs were amazing. Grell wrote 83 issues of it back in the 80's/early 90's when GA was pretty much like the punisher but actually having character rather than a bland kill you all jackass thing going

Hawkman: Actually this one has been hit and miss lately. Still some damn good issues and some great arcs. it's not as good as some other stuff but it's still fantastic

JSA: The best team comic there is. It involves all the golden age heroes like the original Green lantern, Wildcat, Mr. Terrific, Dr. Fate, Black Canary, Stargirl, JJ thunder, Sand, Doctor Mid-nite, Hour-Man

JSA Strange adventures: Great retellings of old JSA stories. really good stuff in there

Wonder Woman: Has always been a good comic but it's going very very strong right now.

Identity Crisis: Blowing my mind it's so good. Someone is really messing with all the heroes and it's pretty messed up. Great shit though.

Justice League: Elite: not an absolutely amazing book but still a very good book. This is great just for the way that green arrow keeps trying to get in the pants of one of the other heroes' wife. it's damn funny. Also a violent book and a decent story to boot.

Green Lantern: In Preparing to return Hal Jordan to life in the DCU as something other than the spectre, they have really been fucking up Kyle Rayner the current green lanterns life. Not only does he find his fiancee chopped into pieces and shoved in the refridgerator, a few issues later the same guy breaks his mom in haflf and shoves her in the oven. So they've really fucked with his life. The final issue comes out today and is his final showdown with major force and then Green Lantern : Rebirth starts which wil kick ass.

Y The last Man: Get's a big fucking wow from me, I love it more than a lot of other books out there. no superherous no powers just Yorrick Brown the last man on earth. Well, and hiss monkey ampersand who's the last male monkey on earth.

Swamp Thing : Great great great book. alan moores run on it is considered one of the top comic runs ever.

Sandman: Need I say anything about the almighty power of neil gaiman. This is considered by many to be the greatest comic run ever. A lot put it behind Swamp thing but not me....gaiman is a comic god....

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Mind bogglingly good. A definite must read.

Superman/Batman: Was a good book until turner took over doing the art for it. Now they can't ever get issues out on time so they pul a marvel and delay it a month or 2. Fucking ass hole. Gor he's not even hat great of an artist so fuck him and get him to release this comic on time because it's a fantastic book.

Birds of Prey: Actually one of the better books out there. It's sort of a bat book but at the same time it's sort of a greeen arrow book. I know. sounds weird but it's been great since issue #1 so it deserves a read through.

Fallen Angel: me likey. Very very good book as it's just really unique. not truly a superhero book just all in all a lot of fun with great writing.

There are a lot more books out there that I could go into detail about but all I can say is of all companies DC has the best writing and story....Oh and they don't constantly kill the continuity.

Marvel: I'm actually hard pressed to name 5 quality books

The Ultimate line: The Ultimates was freakin great, Ultimate X-men is good and Ulti spider is awesome. so is ultimate marvel team up. but the ultimates was by far the best of all of them.

Madrox: One of the new marvel knights line that came out last week. it's a fantastic book and definitely deserves a read. hopefully the next issue is as good.

Thor: great great great book. actually this is one of the only great books in the dissembled lineup....It's ending.

Weapon X: This was great from the start and is currently in the middle of a great run.....which the latest story arc isn't gonna be finished as it has been cancelled mid arc. fuck you marvel....

NYX : Teen mutants yet still a very very good book. great characters great story. Oh yeah, did I mention they just cancelled it.

Captain America: Kirkman really knows how to write the character. This is a good run....it's too bad it's gotta end.

Amazing spider man: Spectacular spider man is terrible. but amazing has been and continues to be fantastic. especially the story arc it's in now.

Marvel knights fantastic four: this is really good and a fun read. these fall from grace comics...although the new strange one was terrible the fantastic four has been really good.

Alias: Not a superhero book. more of a detective mystery book which for some reason superheroes always pop up. interesting book though.

The Pulse: What alias shifter into. good so far hopefully it keeps it up.

Supreme Power: Marvels best book and part of the max line. really good stuff. fun to read and definitely ythe best marvel book out there.

That's pretty much it.

Image you should all read Invincible. Kirkman is a fantastic writer and this is a fucking great series</div>

#60861  by Derithian
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:57 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I thinkk gray said it best on ICQ the other day. I'm like jack black in high fidelity but with comics. a comic snob. Go me....king of the nerds...</div>

#60869  by Kupek
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:18 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Speaking of bringing back people who are supposed to be dead, I randomly picked up a Batman book at a book store, saw Jason Todd, and immediatelly put it back down.</div>

#60870  by Eric
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:28 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Word?</div>

#60871  by Derithian
 Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:38 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>and if you had read the issue you would have found out that it was clayface impersonating him to get the edge on batman. which succeded for a while</div>

#60884  by Kupek
 Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:34 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Thank fucking god.</div>
 #60885  by SineSwiper
 Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:27 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Heroes that are soooo powerful that they have to go back and say, "Oh...errr, we need this one weakness to balance it out." It doesn't balance it out. It just means that all of the villians are going to go after that one weakness every time. Just how many times does the villian have to figure out a way to use Kryptonite? How about Kryptonite armor? Kryptonite sword? Kryptonite-powered laser beams? Are we going to bake a Kryptonite souffle and hope Superman eats it?

Or take Green Lantern. Please. Such awesome power to do absolutely anything with his ring, yet half the time, his lack of creativity (with the ring) is his main weakness. Oh and there that thing with the color yellow. Just get a villian dressed completely in yellow, and you're invincible.

At least Marvel's heroes (among other companies) had a more human, less power trait to them. Their powers did not outnumber the ways they could die. The focus was not "GASP! Could our invincible superhero actually be defeated?". It was more like there was a thousand ways to die, and a near-impossible villian to defeat. Teamwork was required, not a silly little addition to make the story more interesting.

The other type of hero DC made was the one with powers so lame/weak (Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, J’onn), who can basically only do one thing and one thing well. ("Hey, Aquaman! We're in the desert, so your powers are useless!") If your only power is that you can fly (whoop-de-shit), go learn some new skills or something. True that some of Marvel's older superheroes had older ideas of uncreative powers, but at least they learned to evolve them to something creative, or always find themselves useful in battle.

Now, this isn't to say that DC can't get it right (Batman), but it gets their superheroes wrong more than it gets it right.</div>
 #60903  by Derithian
 Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>First of all you are wrong on so many levels. Yes, they are godlike, yes they are powerful and revered by humanity. It's a different type of universe. For all there ultimate power, their villains are stronger as well. Not only that supermans weakness is not only kryptonite. SInce he gets his powers from the suns rays he is weakened at night and during any eclipses. Only 3 people in the world have kryptonite though and that's Luthor, Batman, and Ra's Al Ghul.

Second actually green lanterns power is based on willpower. If someone has more willpower than he does, believes more in their cause he ain't gonna be able to do jack. And yes, they are hampered by their creativity because they have to create the weapon. So you are saying the fact that they have a weakness is what makes them lame?

Then you hilairiously go and call some of these other characters weak. First of all, Wonder Woman, not as powerful as superman, just has super strength and reflexes as well as speed, flight, very limited invulnerability, so yeah she didn't used to be as powerful as the other heroes until she actually did become a god. Hell, her only weakness now is if she denies truth beinng the godess of trruth and all now.

The manhunter. You called manhunter weak. shows how much you know. if it wasn't for his weakness to fire he would be the most powerful force in the DCU. he already is stronger than superman and can't exaclty be hurt. He can do the shapeshifting, intangibility thing, he's more powerful than all of the heroes combined.

calling aquaman a lame hero alo shows how much you don't know. yes he doesn't have a toin of power. all he can do is talk to fish. Not to mention the fact that you become insanely super strong when you live under the pressure of being miles underwater.

So just because someone's only power is flight or something means that they can't be a hero. hey I got aan idea. before to talk about characters you have obviously never read bbefore, try reading some. You'll see that DC isn't about world ending conflict and annihilation. It's much more based around character development and story. oh not to mention continuity. they don't fuck it up half as bad a s marvel always has. I find it funny you compare then to early marvel heroes though. let's lok at the avengers.

Captain America. ok good character somewhat original...but wait, he doesn't have any powers so according to you he's lame.
Hawkeye as much as I love him he is a green arrow rip off. the womanizing archer. somehow had the exact same attitude. marvel actually got really good at ripping off ideas from DC.
Iron man. almost the exact same story as rocket red. yet rocket red was 30 years earlier.
I can go on. best example right now of marvel masterpieces. Identity disc. 3 days after DC announces a title called the Identity Crisis marvel decides to do their own and call it Identity Disc. DC didn't announce details as to whqat it was and so marvel tries to do their own. Oh their is a disc with every heros identity on it. and the bad guys are after it. DC version comes out. oh look Sue Dibny a beloved character and wife to elongated man is raped and murdered. after that other superhero wives are targetted. next comes atoms ex- wife and so on until even the bad guys are trying to find out who is doing it because they are coming after their families as well.

Marvel also has an obsession with alternate worlds. and fuck that's annoying. I loved the x-men until after about 20 issues the next 60 tookl place in alternate dimensions. fuck that's stupid. what they need to do is what DC did. A crisis on infinite earths. DC decided oh crap were really killing continuity and then always just said it happened on a different earth so they came out with the crisis and completely eliminated all of the other earths and really cleaned up all of the big problems they had.

Marvel doesn't face ultra powerful villains that require teamwork. They are all ultra powerful hell they could be gods if they wanted to. they all could. hey have to use teamwork because the bad guys don't have the conscience that they do. the bad guys could destroy everything if they wanted to. So could the good guys;. year their powers aren't superman level and hell, I don't like superman solo. except now. try reading acventures of superman. The last 2 issues have revolved around superman being weakened because they figured a way to drain the suns rays from his body and during that time lois gets shot. The last issue had one of the most powerful comic frames I have seen in years. as superman caried her limp body to an army hospital all these soldiers are calling to him for help and all he sayd as he walks up to a doctor is. "I can't help her"

Really give something a shot before you bash on it. Yes DC has the power of gods and can't be killed but their villains also aren't magneto and apokalypse. the villains are poeple like Darkseid and the planet apokalypse that he rules over. His villains are Krona, a universe devouring entity, Brainiac 5 a creature that only thirsts for knowledge and destroys worlds to get it. Aliens that conquer worlds. people like cheshire who will completely nuke a country. Ra's Al Ghul who is pretty much importal because of his lazarus pits. And so many more. so really try and read it before you bash on it. you may find out you actually enjoy something. until then you have no fucking clue what you are talking about</div>

#60904  by Derithian
 Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>trust me man, it scared me too</div>

#60907  by SineSwiper
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:45 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Okay, you just defended Aquaman. You truely deserve the "Insane DC Fanboy" award. And yes, Captain America is lame (and gaaaaaaay).</div>

#60909  by Ishamael
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:31 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Once upon a time, Aquaman was one of the best comics around. Especially when Peter David aka the guy who made Hulk cool was on it (this was a loooong time ago)....</div>

#60911  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:40 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>right now aquamans current series is amazing. just because someone doesn't have a cool power doesn't mean he doesn't have a cool character</div>

#60912  by Ishamael
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:44 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Wow. I'm impressed by that breakdown...The comic geek force is strong in this one. And what's up with WW getting even MORE powerful. Post-crisis, she powered up to almost be a female superman...</div>

#60913  by Ishamael
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:47 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Well after seeing another nobody (Brian Singer) do amazing work on it, I'm willing to give Whedon the benefit of the doubt.</div>

#60914  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:53 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>after the crisis the Earth 2 wonder woman joined the gods on new olympus. .</div>

#60915  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:57 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>after ther crisis eaarth 2's wonder woman was rescued from it by the gods who put her as a god. she died and wonder woman took her place and diana's mom became wonder woman for a while</div>

#60916  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:59 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>oh yeah ish, you run ICQ. i got something I want to send you</div>

#60917  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:08 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>plus he has a cool power now. a healing hand that can heal any wound and shield him. it's only downside is he can't strike anyone with it....really really interesting how it ahs worked</div>

#60918  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:18 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>no see singer had the right cause he was able to take a fresh look at it. wheedon has preconceived notions that are purely retarded.....then again I'm just pissed at him for his "they accidentaly cremated someone else excuse"</div>

#60939  by Ishamael
 Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:52 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>I don't have icq anymore. Is it small enough for email?</div>

#60948  by SineSwiper
 Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:13 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Heh...they had to. Being able to talk to fish just doesn't cut it.</div>

#60949  by Derithian
 Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:44 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>yes it does. even marvel writers put him over Namor in power because of that./...you tell a deadly poisonous fish to surround someone and sting them if they move they ain't going anywhere. he's been a great character for a long time.</div>

#60951  by Eric
 Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:55 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah...that does sound lame.</div>