The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Soo.....Garden State is a good movie? The trailer didn't exactly wow me. What's it about? What kind of audience does it appeal to?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #61726  by Kupek
 Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:20 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>It's about a guy who comes home for his mother's funeral, meets a girl, and finally realizes some important things about his life.

I liked it because it showed very well the intimacy of getting to know someone.</div>

#61731  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:29 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>If it smells like a chick flick...</div>

#61732  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:45 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Thank you, Sine, for once again chiming in on something you know nothing about by throwing around labels. It's the best movie I've seen all year; it's simple, honest and poignant.</div>

#61740  by Eric
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:18 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Well in Sine's defense you did give it the "Chick Flick" description.</div>

#61744  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:54 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Kate and Leopold is a chick flick. Raising Helen is a chick flick. The fact that a movie is about people and their relationships instead of shit blowing up does not make a movie a chick flick.</div>

#61745  by Eric
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:18 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Movies about People and their relationships = Chick Flicks. lol. "Ray" wasn't a chick flick, "Seabiscuit" wasn't a chick flick. A movie about a guy who "meets a girl, and finally realizes some important things about his life," Comes off as a chick flick.</div>

#61747  by Zeus
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:22 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Hmm, I'll disagree there. Chick flicks are essentially relationship flicks for the most part. Personal discovery flicks, if they include but are not limited to meeting someone of the opposite sex, are not the same thing. Otherwise, you could make a case for Requiem for a Dream being a chick flick</div>

#61748  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:22 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I think it's unfortunate you feel that way. And I think we've answered your question.</div>

#61749  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:26 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Most chick flicks are about relationships, but they are also generally trite, offer no insight to the matter, and are blatantly marketed to the 15 - 30 female demographic. Chasing Amy is another example of a movie about people and their relationships that I would not consider a chick flick.</div>

#61750  by Eric
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:35 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Heh me feeling a certain way isn't unfortunate. I was making an arguement as to how you described it. The way you described it made it come off as a chick flick. That's all, whether or not it is, I don't know, I haven't seen it.</div>

#61752  by Eric
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:39 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Dude just because Kevin Smith did Chasing Amy, it doesn't take away from it's chickflickiness! Guy falls in love with a lesbian! I could see women around the country crying for the guy.</div>

#61753  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:33 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>If you think Chasing Amy is a chick flick, then we have a serious disagreement of definition.</div>

#61754  by Eric
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:42 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Actually I haven't seen it either....just did a google search. "chick flick chasing amy"</div>

#61756  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:54 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Under than description, you could say High Fidelity is a chick flick, which it definately wasn't.</div>

#61757  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:56 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Actually, I would consider Chasing Amy to be a chick flick, despite the fact that it's a good one. It's probably borderline, but it still fits the category.</div>

#61758  by Eric
 Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:58 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Personally I think you're being too hard yourself on definition of a chick flick. You make it sound like they're all really really bad movies. There's nothing WRONG with a chick flick.</div>

#61759  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:58 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I think it's ridiculous to catergorize a movie as a chick flick because it's people and their relationships with each other.</div>

#61760  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:32 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I also think it's ridiculous to categorize Nightmare on Elmstreet, Friday the 13th, Sleepaway Camp as Horror instead of comedy. But what are you going to do about society?</div>

#61763  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:57 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Chick Flicks are anything that is made with specifically the female audience in mind.</div>
 #61764  by Gentz
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:04 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '><B>1.)</b> It's a horrendously trite and heavy-handed piece of Hollywood garbage that centers around romance, drama, and "character" (read: Dustin Hoffman pretending to be a retard) rather than action, adventure and blowing up brown people.

<b>2.)</b> You believe that any film that doesn't involve action, adventure and exploding brown people is for "chicks" (or possibly "fags").

Now, when it comes to typical, big-budget Hollywood movies you generally can split them up into "chick flicks" and "guy flicks." So, when we're dealing with those movies, which are all crappy anyway (albeit occasionally entertaining crap), it's okay to refer to them as "chick/guy" flicks - they're basically designed to appeal to specific audiences like that anyway. But calling a movie a "chick flick" just because it focuses on drama and character development (not just Sean Penn pretending to be a retard) is just ridiculous. There are plenty of "non-guy flicks" out there that aren't heavy-handed and thematically-vapid. Referring to good movies as "chick flicks" is just showing your personal tendency toward Reason #2 - and you don't wanna be that guy. Trust me.</div>

#61765  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:23 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Did you mean Sean Penn both times? 'Cause I thought Rain Man (the Dustin Hoffman one) was a really good movie.</div>

#61767  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:57 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Ok, i agree</div>

#61768  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:58 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>No, it's a helluva lot different. There's no way you could say that Chasing Amy and Two Weeks Notice are marketed towards the same audience. I agree with Kupek here</div>

#61770  by Gentz
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:50 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Rain Man was a decent film, but I consider the megastar-plays-a-retarded-guy thing extremely annoying. Pretending to be a retard isn't great acting, it's not "bold," it's schtick. Otherwise we'd be handing out Oscars to every fifth grader who ever mocked his fellow classmates.</div>

#61771  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:00 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Maybe in general, but in Dustin Hoffman's case, I disagree. He actually spent time with the guy the movie is based on, and researched other savants. He didn't just show up and do his best retard impression.</div>

#61772  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:10 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I don't think any movie with the line "All every woman really wants, be it mother, senator, nun, is some serious deep-dickin'" qualifies as a chick flick.</div>

#61773  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:06 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah, that's how I feel about it. Sean Penn tried the same trick in I Am Sam but it blew</div>

#61774  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:42 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Well, I never saw it, but I got the impression it was a sappy movie about the underdrogs triumphing over the system, whereas Rain Man was a character driven movie. (And I think Cruise's character is the dominant one; he's the one who changes over the course of the film.)</div>

#61775  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:55 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Well, that's what drives all mentally-handicapped films, it's how the person who's with them (often not by choice and often a spoiled, self-centered prick) changes for "the better". Hell, even There's Something About Mary was kinda like that</div>

#61780  by Gentz
 Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:48 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>SCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTIIIIIICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!111 : )</div>

#61783  by SineSwiper
 Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:37 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>The REAL definition is any movie geared towards a chick-only audience (or in the case of a movie date: chick-guy audience solely for the purpose of getting laid).</div>

#61784  by SineSwiper
 Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:47 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Okay, maybe not.</div>