The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• In other Naruto news, it's licensed to 4Kids?!?!?!?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #82522  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:06 am
What the fuck?! I certainly thought it had more popularity than that. Oh my god, the dubbing and censoring will be SOOOO FUCKED UP! What moron licensed the most popular anime in Japan to a 3rd rate, assfucking translation/dubbing team?! Hell, despite the use of kids, it's not even a kid's show!

Also, Adult Swim is taking Samurai Champloo? Isn't Samurai Champloo a little too racy for 14-year-olds?

#82523  by Eric
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:26 am
Rumors keep saying 4Kids is gonna get it, but people are just awaiting the worst case senario. Nothing official has been announced yet, and there WILL be groups out there that will fansub it regardless, if a horrible company like 4Kids gets it.

#82525  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:02 am
Well, Adult Swim has announced that they aren't going to acquire it yet, which is a bad sign. If they don't soon, USA TV might actually go along with using their rights and start a dub.

#82532  by Guest
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:17 pm
The worst part about it will be although we're getting fansubs, ANBU will stop doing theirs, if I"m not mistaken. That's my fav one. As long as Dattebayo keeps going, it'll be good.

US licencing means nothing to me, I'd still have to download it regardless. And who the fuck wants to see Naruto dubbed? One of the best parts is the great voice work

#82538  by M'k'n'zy
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:07 pm
The thought of 4Kids licencing Naruto has scared the crap out of me for quite a while now. I just hope to god it never happens.

#82557  by Nev
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:17 pm
okay, i have to ask, what is this naruto thing you all keep on about?

#82562  by Gentz
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:32 pm
4Kids won't get Naruto. The amount of editing they'd have to do simply isn't feasible. TV ratings aren't based so much on the amount of violence in a show, but on how realistic the violence is. DBZ characters shooting each other with energy beams from their hands is one thing, but the violence in Naruto consists mainly of little kids throwing knives at each other. 90% of the fight scenes in Naruto could never pass for TV-PG unless they were edited to the point where all sense and continuity are lost.

I mean, think about just the first arc with Zabuza and Haku...

(spoilers ahoy!)

Even if you managed to omit all the scenes where Kakashi is sticking Zabuza full of kunai, and even if you meticulously went through each frame digitally erasing the kunai sticking out of his arms in the following scenes (and all the needles in Sasuke and Naruto), and even if you somehow managed to alter Kakashi's chidori so that his hand isn't driven into Haku's chest to the knuckles, you would have to cut out the entire part where Zabuza goes nuts and kills Gato and his men.

Oh, and Samurai Champloo isn't any more violent or racy than Cowboy Bebop was.
Last edited by Gentz on Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#82563  by Nev
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:33 pm
i still don't know what this is, but this is sounding better and better.

#82569  by Torgo
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:04 pm
Naruto is supposedly the best anime ever. Nearly everyone (scratch that, I meant everyone) that I know who has seen it has proclaimed it to be the best anime ever. I said supposedly because I've only seen up to episode 10 so far, and I though think it's very good, I hear that it really starts to pick up around 20 or so. I just hope that my experience won't be ruined by the bits and pieces that I picked up from the Shrine and overhearing conversations. Argh, I have to burn those copies off my friend ASAP.

And there's gotta be a better way to hide spoiler text. I managed to read a few words of Gentz' second paragraph before I saw the mkeshift spoiler tag blending in with the rest of the text, at which point I scrolled down the page like a madman. God bless the mouse wheel.

#82572  by Gentz
 Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:23 pm
Sorry about that, Torgo. I was in a rush and couldn't be bothered to hide the spoilers very well. I edited it nice and propa.

Here are the table cell background colors for future reference:

/* Main table cell colours and backgrounds */
td.row1 { background-color: #EFEFEF; }
td.row2 { background-color: #DEE3E7; }
td.row3 { background-color: #D1D7DC; }

#82575  by Eric
 Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:22 am
Gentz wrote:4Kids won't get Naruto. The amount of editing they'd have to do simply isn't feasible. TV ratings aren't based so much on the amount of violence in a show, but on how realistic the violence is. DBZ characters shooting each other with energy beams from their hands is one thing, but the violence in Naruto consists mainly of little kids throwing knives at each other. 90% of the fight scenes in Naruto could never pass for TV-PG unless they were edited to the point where all sense and continuity are lost.

I mean, think about just the first arc with Zabuza and Haku...

(spoilers ahoy!)

Even if you managed to omit all the scenes where Kakashi is sticking Zabuza full of kunai, and even if you meticulously went through each frame digitally erasing the kunai sticking out of his arms in the following scenes (and all the needles in Sasuke and Naruto), and even if you somehow managed to alter Kakashi's chidori so that his hand isn't driven into Haku's chest to the knuckles, you would have to cut out the entire part where Zabuza goes nuts and kills Gato and his men.

Oh, and Samurai Champloo isn't any more violent or racy than Cowboy Bebop was.
Look how they butchered One Piece and weap, they can VERY easily get and ruin everything about Naruto.

http://www.arlongpark.com/?page=dubedits

#82576  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:08 am
Torgo wrote:And there's gotta be a better way to hide spoiler text. I managed to read a few words of Gentz' second paragraph before I saw the mkeshift spoiler tag blending in with the rest of the text, at which point I scrolled down the page like a madman. God bless the mouse wheel.
I'd like to put in a spoiler BBCode tag. I'm sure I'll do that when I work on the personalized font/color stuff.
Gentz wrote:Oh, and Samurai Champloo isn't any more violent or racy than Cowboy Bebop was.
You're tripping. Cowboy Bebop didn't have a lot of prostitution and sexual situations. I mean you even have a episode with homosexuality with it. Not to mention the sword fights are rather violent.

#82577  by Gentz
 Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:58 am
You're tripping. Cowboy Bebop didn't have a lot of prostitution and sexual situations. I mean you even have a episode with homosexuality with it. Not to mention the sword fights are rather violent.
That's true, but any given shot of Fay's outfit in CB is just as racy as any of the sexual situations in SC so far. Plus, that homosexuality scene wasn't really much of anything, just an insinuating comment from that dude...they could edit it out very easily if they needed to. Besides, that was hardly more racy than that androgynous sax player from CB.

As for the violence, I don't really think SC is any more violent than CB at all. Spike gets fucking riddled with bullets like every other episode.

#82579  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:41 am
Gentz wrote:That's true, but any given shot of Fay's outfit in CB is just as racy as any of the sexual situations in SC so far. Plus, that homosexuality scene wasn't really much of anything, just an insinuating comment from that dude...they could edit it out very easily if they needed to. Besides, that was hardly more racy than that androgynous sax player from CB.

As for the violence, I don't really think SC is any more violent than CB at all. Spike gets fucking riddled with bullets like every other episode.
We'll see how they do it. I just remember seeing certain parts of SC and saying to myself "Well, it looks like Adult Swim couldn't really pick this up."

#82582  by Torgo
 Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:56 am
Thanks much, Gentz. You get to live...for now.