The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Sin City

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #83083  by Kupek
 Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:11 pm
I'm surprised no one's pointed this out yet: http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city.html

It looks bad ass. Sin City is a Frank Miller comic book. I haven't read the series, but I have read his Dark Knight Returns, which is genius. Miller worked with Robert Rodriguez (Desperado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico) on this.

#83084  by Tortolia
 Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:19 pm
That's one hell of a cast.

#83098  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:51 am
The first run of the comic book is probably the best work that Miller's ever done alone (<i>Batman: Year One</i> is still my favourite comic book ever printed, and the best thing that Miller's worked on full stop), but I'm more worried than excited about the film. Miller is like the anti-midas when it comes to movies: everything he's touched, even <i>breathed on</i>, has turned out badly. I trust the cast, I trust Rob Rodriguez, but Miller, much as I love him, is movie-jinxed. I'm not going to be surprised if Sin City turns out a lot like the Dick Tracy film did - so stylised that it becomes ridiculous. Lordy, but I hope they confound my expectations.

#83099  by SineSwiper
 Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:58 am
I think Rodriguez would make sure that it wasn't too stylised. Yes, the Desperado trilogy has a bunch of style, but it doesn't interfere with the action.

Although, from looking at the preview, I can see where it can lead into a "Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow" shitstorm.

#83101  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:06 am
Have you seen the trailer? Have you seen Mickey Rourke's chin? It's very worrying! :)

#83112  by SineSwiper
 Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:50 am
Yeah, I saw that, too. I was thinking "what the hell is that for"? Then again, the whole preview has that weird feel to it, again, like Sky Capt.

#83122  by Gentz
 Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:03 am
I dunno, this looks fucking awesome to me. Which is good because Willis needs to redeem himself after that Whole Nine Yards bullshit. I never read Sin City but I know of it and it's always looked pretty cool anyway.

#83184  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:59 pm
Looks pretty fuckin sweet, I'll definitely watch it.

#84678  by SineSwiper
 Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:44 am
*bump* I wish there was a "combine topics" function.

#84760  by Imakeholesinu
 Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:46 pm
Dibs on Jessica Alba btw.

#84793  by Oracle
 Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:29 am
When I first saw the preview, at first I'm like "Whoa, they made a Max Payne movie?!" :p

#84797  by SineSwiper
 Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:27 am
Heh, Max Payne seems to be the same Film Noir type quality. I'm sure there was a lot of inspiration there.

#84920  by Tortolia
 Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:16 am
Very entertaining. My quota of gratuitous, senseless violence has been filled for at least the next week.

Great style, superb casting across the board, and pretty brutal. Worth seeing, definately, but don't see it with anyone who's squeamish. Even with the noir style it can get...ugly.

The only book I've read was Marv's story, but if there were any changes made to it, they were minor enough that I didn't notice. I assume the other stories were similarly untouched.

Worth a look, I think.