The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• interesting gaming internet radio station

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #83303  by Nev
 Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:44 pm
this popped up as a featured link on shoutcast's site:

Gaming FM - http://64.202.98.58:7500/

i'm on song number four and so far they've all been moderately enjoyable (for me, good video game music is my absolute favorite and bad vg music i feel ashamed of because it gets laughed at so much)

this one is actually from kid icarus! and what's incredibly bizarre is that there's like an american folk song riff in there that i can't recognize, i wonder if i never heard it before and it was always there?

#83361  by SineSwiper
 Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:44 am
OCRemix has a Shoutcast server that plays a random list of their songs.

#83384  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:32 pm
I was curious if they had a way to put shoutcast feeds into your XM or Sirus satelite radio. If they did some sort of tune by IP or web-address that'd be hot shit.

Mental, do you know of or have the Chrono Trigger music that was redone as like classical jazz or something? I don't know if it was the original soundtrack or if it was something different. I was going to look and see if I could get my hands on a copy legally or by other means. If you don't know what I'm talking about that's fine also.

#83388  by Kupek
 Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:43 pm
Barret wrote:Mental, do you know of or have the Chrono Trigger music that was redone as like classical jazz or something? I don't know if it was the original soundtrack or if it was something different. I was going to look and see if I could get my hands on a copy legally or by other means. If you don't know what I'm talking about that's fine also.
I believe that is Chrono Trigger: The Brink of Time.

#83391  by Don
 Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:55 pm
The Brink of Time is correct. I didn't think it was that great really.

#83396  by Tortolia
 Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:35 pm
I was extremely unimpressed by Brink of Time. Far too little resemblance to the original songs.

#83404  by Agent 57
 Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:52 pm
Well, contrary to popular opinion, I liked Brink of Time - but then again, as long as I can recognize the melody/theme of a VG tune in a remix, I usually like it. Even if they just sort of sneak it in there (like in a couple of songs in BoT) and it's not the main focus of the thing. Although I will admit a couple of the BoT songs are rather weak in general (and not just in terms of recognizability), "Warlock Battle" and "Undersea Palace" being foremost among those, if I remember correctly. Still, you can't blame Mitsuda for experimenting.

Anyway, for all of your game/anime music purchasing needs, www.gamemusic.com will serve quite nicely.

(Aside: I need to be very careful when I visit there - I put the Katamari Damacy soundtrack in my cart a little earlier, and within five minutes I was pondering putting together an order of ~$150. Gah! I'll try again later when I'm not feeling so susceptible.

End of Aside.)

#83419  by Torgo
 Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:14 pm
Brink of Time isn't classical jazz by a longshot. It's some kind of acid-fusion-something jazz. I was really disappointed when I first got it because of this, but it has really grown on me. I enjoy every track on that album, except "Warlock Battle." I really like the early parts with the bass, but I can't stand the last half. On a related note, I was really surprised to hear the first track being used in a commercial by my local cable company sometime last year!
Agent 57 wrote: (Aside: I need to be very careful when I visit there - I put the Katamari Damacy soundtrack in my cart a little earlier, and within five minutes I was pondering putting together an order of ~$150. Gah! I'll try again later when I'm not feeling so susceptible.

End of Aside.)
Collecting video game albums can be more expensive than gaming itself. There are probably like 3 albums for every game with music worth owning, and each album costs around $30, assuming you're going for genuine stuff. Then there's shipping costs, and import costs *shudder* if you're ordering from an overseas site.

Are you familiar with Soundtrack Central? A lot of posters sell their used albums in the Marketplace forum. Most of them are good deals.

God, I spent so much on that hobby during my high school years. I was strapped for cash around my freshman year in college, so I ended up selling around half of my collection. Of course, I backed them all up, and I had broadband, so no big loss. I might get back in, though, if only for the Katamari Damacy soundtrack...

</end rant>

#83442  by SineSwiper
 Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:43 am
Don Wang wrote:The Brink of Time is correct. I didn't think it was that great really.
You guys are crazy. Brink of Time was the shit. One of my favorite remixed soundtracks.
Torgo wrote:Collecting video game albums can be more expensive than gaming itself. There are probably like 3 albums for every game with music worth owning, and each album costs around $30, assuming you're going for genuine stuff. Then there's shipping costs, and import costs *shudder* if you're ordering from an overseas site.
Pffft...paying for VG albums? Man, that's almost as frelling nuts as paying for anime.

#83695  by Nev
 Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:59 pm
I really enjoyed Brink of Time also...