The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Constantine was pretty damn cool

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #83935  by SineSwiper
 Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:34 am
I was not disappointed. Keanu did a very good job playing the role. The director did a good job of creating an enivoriment and that is in-depth so that you'd want to know more, like Blade. (Of course, the source material is a major factor in that.)

I think I'll have to hunt down the graphic novel now (called Hellblazer). The atmosphere sorta reminded me of Preacher.

#83942  by Anarky
 Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:18 pm
I was about to post about this movie since no one else had, I saw it opening night. I liked it a lot too. I kinda like how it has a nice use of dark humor to it. :lol:

#83943  by Gentz
 Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:56 pm
I enjoyed it too. And the design for Satan was quite cool and unique, though he didn't have a very big part.

I didn't realize it was based on Hellblazer. That's a Vertigo book, right?

#83944  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:26 pm
Sure is. I'm trying to dispel the comic from my mind, because the film doesn't look a lot like it; even so, it looks really cool. I don't want my vision of the comic to spoil the film.

#83954  by SineSwiper
 Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:45 am
Gentz wrote:I didn't realize it was based on Hellblazer. That's a Vertigo book, right?
DC Comics, actually.

#83955  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:00 am
Vertigo is a DC subdivision, you amateur :).
 #84049  by SineSwiper
 Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:19 am
Andrew, Killer Bee wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:The atmosphere sorta reminded me of Preacher.
Hellblazer was written by the guy that wrote Preacher, for a stretch.
He must like the angel/demon angle. Or is that in the same universe?

#84053  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:23 am
He likes occult stuff. And weird stuff. Moreso weird stuff, given my memory of Preacher.
 #84082  by Derithian
 Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:07 pm
Andrew, Killer Bee wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:The atmosphere sorta reminded me of Preacher.
Hellblazer was written by the guy that wrote Preacher, for a stretch.
Hellblazer......introduced in Alan Moores Swamp Thing #1 was popular enough to spin off into it's own series that has been selling relatively well for the last 20 yearscheck it out, pick up some trades and if you enjoy it, check out the new mini Papa Midnight when it comes out in a trade or you can also check out other great titles like Swamp thing that would tie into it or just all around good books like Neil Gaimans Sandman or Books of Magic. Also you may want to check out Moores League of Extrordinary gentlemen.....the comic not the movie.....great stuff. as well as From Hell or another non-fiction crime novel, Torso By Marc Andreyko

#84089  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:12 am
The first Books of Magic miniseries in particular features Constantine at his best.

#84092  by Derithian
 Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:31 am
The first Books of Magic miniseries in particular features Constantine at his best.
I like this guy. a lot......we need more comic guys on the cult. and by the way, everyone buy issue 9 of Manhunter by Marc Andreyko. He's introducing me into it as a character..

#84607  by Kupek
 Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:22 pm
I saw it last night, and I enjoyed it. There were a few times where Reeve's acting fell flat, but the visuals and mood were able to keep me invested in the story. A friend of mine told me a bunch of stuff about the Hellblazer series, and it's something I'd like to pick up sometime soon.

#84636  by SineSwiper
 Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:37 am
I thought Reeves was great in it. He would be the only person I'd think of to fit the role. Maybe, Nicolas Cage, but it still would be a slightly different character.

#84655  by Kupek
 Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:58 am
Oddly enough, Cage was attached to the project before Reeves was, but with a different director.

I think a lot of actors could have fit the role, and probably done a good job, but Reeves did fit. Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey (who, from what I've seen of the comic, actually looks the part), and Hugh Jackman come to mind.

#84656  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:30 am
The character is supposed to be British. Call me crazy, but I think an unshaven Jude Law could have pulled him off. Or maybe Ewan McGregor.

#84657  by Kupek
 Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:00 am
I actually thought about those two, but I think their faces are a little too boy-ish.

#84679  by SineSwiper
 Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:48 am
I wouldn't have picked Hugh Jackman. Maybe a bit too rough and beastly. I could see Bale, but I don't think he could play the right type of asshole. I guess I haven't see the guy with a cigarette in his mouth.

#85106  by Eric
 Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:35 pm
:shock: I saw it today. Movie fuckin rocked.

I liked the ending especially. The Devil :twisted: was just how I expected him to be, not overly evil, but kinda mocking in his victory.

Did anybody else find hell rather disturbing? :evil:

#85129  by SineSwiper
 Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 am
Of course it's supposed to be disturbing. It's hell.

#85130  by Eric
 Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:31 am
Yeah I know, but damn, they had the demons ripping people apart. >_>