The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• music check

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #85457  by Nev
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:29 am
so what we listening to?

me - pretty much everything. I'm on a Napster explosion. My recently played list looks like this (last 28, slightly edited):

D12 - Purple Pills
Coolio - Fantastic Voyage (LP Version)
Sarah McLachlan - Possession
Rod Stewart - Forever Young
Rod Stewart - Have I Told You Lately
Rod Stewart - Handbags & Gladrags
Orbital - The Girl with the Sun in Her Head
Weird Al Yankovic - Trash Day (Parody of Hot In Herre by Nelly)
Weird Al Yankovic - Fat
Weird Al Yankovic - You Make Me
Weird Al Yankovic - I Think I`m A Clone Now
Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
Ralph Stanley - Man Of Constant Sorrow
Jars of Clay - Flood
Ice Cube - No Vaseline
Erasure - Always
Jimmy Buffett - Why Don't We Get Drunk
Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville
Jimmy Eat World - Sweetness
Beck - Loser
ATC - Around The World (La La La La La)
Alan Jackson (with Jimmy Buffett) - It's Five O' Clock Somewhere
Deep Forest - Sweet Lullaby
Cheb Khaled & Cheba Zahouania - Rumors
The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize (Album Version)
Stone Temple Pilots - Creep
Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground (The Perfecto Mix)
Xscape - Just Kickin' It/Remix

Andrew "only slightly musically random" Seidman

#85465  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:31 am
Mental wrote:D12 - Purple Pills
Overplayed rap song of 2002.
Mental wrote:Orbital - The Girl with the Sun in Her Head
One of my favorites. Would also recommend Way Out from their next album, and Forever from their previous album. I was a huge Orbital fan (was on their ML for a while) until they basically turned to crap on The Altogether. Still have all of their albums, a huge collection of singles, and a signed copy of The Middle of Nowhere.
Mental wrote:Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
Too bad the singer quit after one album. I think she might of had primadonna issues, especially with that stink with M.Manson. I haven't heard the new album yet with one of the mixers singing, but honestly, they probably should have changed their name back to Line of Flight. (They actually used that a bit on their remix album, though I guess they needed to ride on the coattails of the new name.)
Mental wrote:The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize (Album Version)
I wasn't a big fan of their latest album. I dunno...I just didn't think it was polished enough this time. I loved the previous 4 albums, though.

#85466  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:04 am
Heh, now you got me listening to a bunch of Orbital B-sides. Currently listening to Bigpipe Style.

#85472  by Nev
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:43 pm
Ugggggh. Bagpipe techno. I prefer the version of "Style" off of Work.

By the way, you know I'm talking about "Purple Pills" (the explicit version) and not "Purple Hills", right? I imagine "Purple Pills" COULD make it onto the radio, in an alternate universe, but something tells me that one certainly didn't get overplayed.

#85499  by SineSwiper
 Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:26 am
Mental wrote:Ugggggh. Bagpipe techno. I prefer the version of "Style" off of Work.
Actually, it's a really good song, expecially at the +01:23 mark.
Mental wrote:By the way, you know I'm talking about "Purple Pills" (the explicit version) and not "Purple Hills", right? I imagine "Purple Pills" COULD make it onto the radio, in an alternate universe, but something tells me that one certainly didn't get overplayed.
Radio? No. Just played over and over again by my friends and anybody who heard of D12, and if it involved D12, they talked about that damn song. Maybe it's just personal experience.

#85502  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:15 am
D12 - Purple Pills - overplayed or not, I like this song =)
Coolio - Fantastic Voyage (LP Version) - and this one
Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground - and this one
Stone Temple Pilots - Creep - Anything by the Stone Temple Pilots is great, but I have my favourites (this is one of my favourite bands)

Try some of the following Stone Temple Pilots songs, they cover a fairly wide range:

Time of the Season - Scott Weiland does a great cover
Unglued - a very grunge sounding song, fun to listen to, my personal alltime favourite by them.
Hollywood Bitch - My favourite from their late period
Still Remains - A lighter more melodic song
Glide - another one
Tumble in the Rough - A good party mix song
Lady Picture Show - A fairly good lighter song by them
Sour Girl - My favourite lighter song from them
Vasoline - their megahit from the early 90's (grunge sounding, everyone loved to play this on their guitar)
Big Bang Baby - their megahit from the late 90's
Days of the Week - and early 2000's
All in the Suits that you wear - Their last song
Sex Type Thing - Their first popular song

If you like some of these I can get more similar sounding ones. STP has a range of styles. My favourite album is Purple, but I like all of them a lot.

#85504  by Nev
 Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:45 am
SineSwiper wrote: Actually, it's a really good song, expecially at the +01:23 mark.
I've listened to the whole thing, but again, I prefer the version without the bagpipes. :)

Seek - Thanks. I've heard Vaseline of course, and also Lady Picture Show made it on MTV at some point, but the rest would be new to me.

#85512  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:37 pm
Mostly a bunch of club anthems and new rap but....

T.I. - Bring'em Out
T.I. - You Don't Know Me
Ludacris - Number One Spot
50 Cent Feat. The Game - (can't remember the name of it, but it's a hot song with a sweet beat.)
Atmosphere - Multiples Reprise (remix) (Very fuckin dark.)
Atmosphere - The Jackpot/Swept Away
Atmosphere - @ it Again
Trick Daddy - Suga
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
My Chemical Romance - (anything I can get my hands on)
Deep Thinkers - Stand Strong
BT - Running Down The Way Up (non-album edit (8:35))
Cake - Friend is a Four Letter Word
Ben Folds - Fired
Ben Folds - The Ascent of Stan
Brandy feat. Kayne West - Talk About Our Love
Cold Play - Don't Panic
Death Cab for Cutie - A Movie Script Ending
Fallout Boy - Grand Theft Autumn
Everything But The Girl - Before Today (And the Massive Attack Remix)
Morphine - You Look Like Rain
Natalie Imbruglia - Troubled by the Way We Came Together (to bad she's a model now.)
Ok Go - Bye Bye Baby
Ok Go - It's tough to have a crush...
The Streets - Fit But You Know It
The Streets - Dry Your Eyes Mate
Sublime - Summer Time
Thursday - Standing On The Edge of Summer
Bjork - It's Not Up To You
Bjork - You've Been Flirting Again
American Hi-Fi - Blue Day

#85515  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:03 pm
Here's my current playlist anyways:

Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Beatles - Come Together
Stone Temple Pilots - Time of the Season Austin Powers ST
Dina Rae/Eminem - Superman
A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
Paul McCartney & Mike Jackson - Say Say Say
Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin - Immigrant Song
Kim Wilde - Kids In America
Rocky Theme - Eye Of The Tiger
Garbage - Dumb
Nirvana - About A Girl
Nirvana - Here She Comes Now - Demo, 1990
Stone Temple Pilots - Unglued
T.A.T.U. - How soon is now?
Michael Jackson - Beat It
Tears for fear - Pale shelter
The Doors - The Crystal Ship
The White Stripes - Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For
No Doubt - Spiderwebs
Stone Temple Pilots - Hollywood Bitch

#85527  by Shellie
 Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:53 pm
I keep listening to the same stuff over and over. Ive been trying to find more of the kind of music that I like, but Im having a hard time.

I have been listening to the Garden State soundtrack over and over. It's so great. Im driving Sine crazy.

Random stuff Ive been listening to a lot:

Tom Petty - The Anthology Album
Halou - Feeling This is Like to Fall Away
Ghost In the Shell Soundtrack - Inner Univerese
Dream Theater - Misunderstood
Dream Theater - As I Am
Sutrastore- Clouds
Bjork - Everything but the new Medulla album - Sine is sick of me playing Bjork too :mrgreen:
Olive - Trickle (but the whole album is awesome)
Portishead - all of it :)
ditto with Massive Attack

Oh..one new artists I've been listening to: Daughter Darling Really nice voice
Ive found quite a few good unknown artists on Je m'en Fish Records

Im mainly into Trip Hop and sonic rock with strong female vocals. I really want to find new artists though, I love Massive Attack and Portishead, but Im getting tired of the same songs.

#85536  by SineSwiper
 Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:48 am
BTW, the latest from Way Out West (titled "Don't Look Now") is absolutely brilliant! I haven't had an album this solid with favorite tunes in quite a while. They seem to be matching Hybrid in quality and flavor, probably beating them out in places. Mental, you might want to check out both groups when you get the chance.

On that note of new music, has anybody checked out the latest Beck, or NIN for that matter?
Seraphina wrote:Ghost In the Shell Soundtrack - Inner Univerese
The 30-second clip of this song in the series doesn't do it justice. I can't help but be bombarded with emotion through the combination of the vocals and strings.

#85544  by Nev
 Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:18 pm
Listening to "Anything But You" right now. I really like it!

#85557  by SineSwiper
 Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:40 am
Mental wrote:Listening to "Anything But You" right now. I really like it!
For single songs, I would recommend: Apollo, Fear, Killa, Northern Lights. There are other good ones on the other two albums as well. Also, look for "If I Survive" and "Dreaming Your Dreams" from Hybrid. Hybrid also has an excellent remix of Sarah McL's "Fear".

#85623  by the Gray
 Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:21 pm
Juero or whatever Beck's new album is called is quite simply just as brilliant as his past stuff.

Only heard snippets of Reznor's latest work. Have a friend whose opinion I trust going to his concert up here in May. If he gives the thumbs up I'll dl the tracks.

#85647  by SineSwiper
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:37 am
the Gray wrote:Juero or whatever Beck's new album is called is quite simply just as brilliant as his past stuff.
Playboy was saying that it was his best stuff since Odelay, which is quite a compliment. I didn't like Sea Changes much, but that was because I didn't like the music style on that one.
the Gray wrote:Only heard snippets of Reznor's latest work. Have a friend whose opinion I trust going to his concert up here in May. If he gives the thumbs up I'll dl the tracks.
The bastard. I saw that concert pop up on my Ticketmaster notification for Chicago (closest big city), along with Garbage and Crystal Method on the same week. I was going to take a week off for those three and realized that the Garbage and NIN shows already sold out. I got the damn notification that day and didn't even get a fucking chance to buy any tickets!

Auteche had tickets 7 days apart from the CM show, but I didn't want to space it out that far. So, that blew apart my big plan to see a shitload of shows in a week.

#85651  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:16 am
Hmmmm, Garbage is still together? I love that band.

#85654  by SineSwiper
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:12 am
Yes, and they have a new album. I didn't like the last one. Very popish, and it sounded like they ditched their semi-electronic sound. I still need to try out this latest one, but I'm skiddish because of the last one.

#85662  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:49 am
Their first album "Only Happy when it rains" and "Stupid Girl" was very much a pop album; but it was pretty damn good. The album I like the most is Version 2.0, I still listen to it often. Their last one, Androgyny or something, that one kind of flew by me.

I'm actually surprised they're still around, I could have sworn that I heard they broke up a couple years ago.

#85668  by SineSwiper
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:27 am
Heh, you're naming singles, not albums. It's Garbage (self-titled), then Version 2.0, then Beatifulgarbage, then this latest one which I forgot the name of. Bleed something?

Anyway, the first album was kinda pop, but only in the aspect of being "popular". Defined musicially, it was more of a grunge feel. Version 2.0 added a lot of mixing, but kept the same grudgy and melencholic feel. Beautifulgarbage seemed to suck out whatever good elements was in the band, as if they listened to some PR rep on how to mold their "sound".

I dunno...I haven't given that album much of a chance, but I doubt I'd grow to like it.

#85700  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:17 pm
Well grunge was the pop music movement of the early 90's like New Wave was back in the early 80's. But yeah, you're right, they are singles I mentioned (my mistake). Version 2.0 is the only non-single I own by Garbage. Back before MP3's, singles were usually the best way to go about getting music, paying 3-5 dollars instead of 13-20.

#85744  by Nev
 Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:18 pm
Does anyone here besides me remember "New Age" music? That was a label that got put on some very experimental and trippy stuff from the 80s as well I think. I really liked one artist in particular named Ray Lynch. Unfortunately I only had his stuff on cassette...I don't have any CD recordings of him and I can't find him on the music services.

I tend to like that type of music anyway - Enigma, Yanni, Deep Forest, and Chorus of Tribes come to mind for present musical choices in that vein. My friend also likes Cuzco which I think is somewhat similar in a worldbeat vein, though I don't know anything about them.

#85747  by the Gray
 Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:24 pm
I've been caught in a 90's reminiscence of late. And a lot of Brit rock.

Name a band out of the 'Grunge' era and I'm probably listening to it, or will shortly.

Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, STP, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins etc etc.

More current music

Muse: Time is Running Out
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: anything, but Love Burns in particular
Stereophonics: Dakota
Snow Patrol: How to be Dead
Hot hot heat: No, not Now
the Killers: All the things I've done
Wilco: Anything
the Weakerthans: the reconstruction album
Hayden: everything by this brilliant man
Stone Roses: I am the Ressurection (long version)
Death Cab for Cutie: how the fuck did I just find these guys?

And a lot more, using MusicMatch radio at work to listen to a bunch of related bands to those I already like.

#85766  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:10 am
I thought New Age was a name for groups that didn't know how to use the new keyboards of the 80's. There were groups in the 70's that could use those things better. Rick Wakeman, Jan Hammer, and Tomita come to mind.

Go grab Tomita's version of The Planets sometime. The guy only had synthesizers that could only play one note at a time, so this guy is doing chords by recording three and four tracks at a time with the different notes, and it's a fucking orchestratial piece! Impressive stuff. Also, try to find a copy of Jan Hammer's The First Seven Days. Speaking of Jan Hammer, look up Mahavishnu Orchestra. Birds of Fire is a good album, but they have a lot of good stuff.

#85776  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:35 am
I actually do not know much about New Age. Though from a similar time period (the late 70's early 80's) there was New Wave, which originated from a combination of electronic and punk. The sound is similar to No Doubt (in fact I think they are often labeled as a New Wave band). Like Grunge though; New Wave covered a wide range of music that sometimes went beyond the border of the definition, it was the major pop movement of its time (late 70's and early 80's).

Some popular New Wave bands: Blondie, The Cars, Flock of Seagulls, The Police/Sting, Tears for Fears, Kim Wilde, Soft Cell, Nena, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, The Buggles, The B-52's, stuff like that.

#85781  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:15 am
Nevermind...I was confusing the two. It was New Wave that I was thinking of. For some reason, I don't consider a lot of those bands, like The Police or Tears for Fears, to be New Wave, but then again, I don't like New Wave, and I like those bands.

I guess The Tubes could fit under New Wave. My dad likes that band for some reason, and it's just sooo uncharacteristic of him. (He usually has very good taste in music.) The Tubes are so funny in their sound that they just need to be heard to be believed.

#85965  by SineSwiper
 Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:28 am
Garbage's Bleed Like Me sounds like they've veered away from the popish sound of their last album, and returned to the sound of their first one. But...I dunno. It still sounds like some average shit you'd find on the radio. Hell, it's almost like I could here the same stuff from Avril. It's not popish, but it's pop, if that makes any sense. And I still miss the mixer (who is absent from this album, for the most part).

Just started listening to Beck's Guero. Halfway through. It sorta sounds like a cross between Odelay (Rock/Old-Skool Rap) and Midnite Vultures (Funk). This one is actually hard to identify what style he's trying to go for, but it's pretty good so far.

Mental, did you like any of my recommendations? I wouldn't mind playing a game of Musical Psychoanalysis. I'm good at finding unusual material people might like.