The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• i LOVE the new napster

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #85456  by Nev
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:52 am
So I got really tired of iTunes and the un-portability of my downloads and decided to try the new Napster. It's amazing. Sine, I know you hate commercial mainstream services and whatever, but seriously, it's only like twenty dollars a month (less?). There are some tracks that cost extra, but not most of the ones I've wanted so far, and their selection kicks the living shit out of iTunes (and possibly AllOfMP3.com as well).

#85463  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:18 am
I looked at that. The shit I hated was the fact that if you cancelled the service, your music no longer worked. Also, you needed to buy special devices just for the Napster service. I want MP3s, dammit! These people are just too paranoid at piracy, yet they sell you these CDs that are so easy to rip.

#85470  by Kupek
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:53 am
SineSwiper wrote:The shit I hated was the fact that if you cancelled the service, your music no longer worked.
That is so incredibley retarded I have difficulty believing it. I tried looking around Napster's site to confirm it, but they didn't say anything either way about it. Where did you read that?

#85471  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:22 pm
I just google for MP3's, sometimes it takes me a couple of minutes, but I almost always find what I want.

#85474  by Nev
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:49 pm
Kupek wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:The shit I hated was the fact that if you cancelled the service, your music no longer worked.
That is so incredibley retarded I have difficulty believing it. I tried looking around Napster's site to confirm it, but they didn't say anything either way about it. Where did you read that?
That does seem kind of interesting. I use Winamp as my player - not the Napster player - how would they even do that? If you cancel your service, does it mark all of your WMA's downloaded from them as unplayable or something? It seems like that might be hard to do...

#85476  by Tortolia
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:22 pm
New Napster is indeed music rental, not music purchase. You let your subscription go, you lose access to it all.

Go google for "napster music rental" and have at it.

#85481  by Kupek
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:46 pm
Tortolia wrote:New Napster is indeed music rental, not music purchase. You let your subscription go, you lose access to it all.

Go google for "napster music rental" and have at it.
Indeed it is so. Napster's site, however, fails to make the distinction between renting and selling clear.

#85482  by Tortolia
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:08 pm
Of course they don't.

#85484  by Kupek
 Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:29 pm
I figured they'd at least have some sort of spin to make it sound like renting music is somehow better.

#85498  by SineSwiper
 Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:14 am
It's right there in black and white. Here's the information page. You just have to read the footnote:
*It is necessary to maintain a Napster subscription in order to continue access to songs downloaded through the Napster service.
And here's the page that details how few devices are compatible with Napster. Of course, the iPod isn't one of them.

Yeah, I'll Do the Math, Napster. I like my music permanent, and I think both of your services suck.
Mental wrote:That does seem kind of interesting. I use Winamp as my player - not the Napster player - how would they even do that? If you cancel your service, does it mark all of your WMA's downloaded from them as unplayable or something? It seems like that might be hard to do...
WMAs? Yeah, that would be the problem. It's a DRM-compatible format, so that would be easily within its ability. The best way to not get music with strings attached is to not use WMA. Period. Demand MP3s or don't use their service.
Kupek wrote:I figured they'd at least have some sort of spin to make it sound like renting music is somehow better.
I think they prefer the angle of comparing themselves to iTunes to misled the public. Of course, I'm not going to let a ***STAR*** on the end of their tagline not go unnoticed.

#85513  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:40 pm
I think I'll stick to ripping CD's and downloading using Ares behind my SBC wall of silence. I <3 my iPod btw.