The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Naruto 131

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #85621  by M'k'n'zy
 Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:24 pm
Just watched it raw. As I expected, just about everyones questions should be answered this episode. It is another whole episode of backstory for Sasuke, and next week for the next episode we should start the fight for real.

#85628  by Zeus
 Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:01 pm
Such a revalation you had to post it twice, huh?

#85629  by Eric
 Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:09 pm
It was that good.

AWESOME sig btw. ;p

#85648  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:48 am
Eric wrote:It was that good.

AWESOME sig btw. ;p
I figured you would like the sig Eric ^_^

And yes the episode was that good.

#85665  by SineSwiper
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:14 am
I was disappointed. For some strange reason, I felt like Lucas had took Star Wars and added "extra scenes" to make it look like the original. It seemed to have that feel when they basically showed the same scene over again and added that whole bit with the second-level Sharingin, as if to trick you into thinking that it was there the whole time. "No, no, the writers planned that all along!" Riiiiight!

And what the fuck was up with the explanation of how to get it? Kill your best friend? That doesn't even make any fucking sense! That's like saying that in order to get true ultimate power, you have to find the rare purple-green dragon and kill it. What...does the power flow through like Highlander? What the fuck?! I watched 3 episodes of no fucking fighting for this shit?!? That's a worse fucking "twist" than Signs or The Village. (They invaded a fucking planet with 80% water, and they don't like water?!!)

Jesus, it seems like the only thing this goddamn motherfucking story arc is doing is just fucking pissing me off! Go back to Rock Lee! I wanna see some Eighth-Gate Drunken Punch crazy shit! Fuck Naruto! And fuck Susake for making me watch his fucking life story! And if that fucking bitch Sakura doesn't get some goddamn powers soon, then fuck her, too!

Goddamn fucking lame ass team! Rename the thing to Rock Lee or Chojin or Neji. I would have rather seen those teams in first-person!

#85711  by Zeus
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:03 pm
Sine, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. The second-level Sharingan is a good way of tying in the Itachi-Sasuke backstory. And the method in which you achieve it does fit in with the fact that so few have ever reached it, and give another reason for Sasuke to fight Naruto, 'cause whether he likes it or not, Naruto is his best friend. It also fits in with the whole "forbidden power" thing, which is a very traditional difference between good and evil. Look at all the forbidden techniques Orochimaru's been using, and there's no denying his power. With no arms he took on a fellow Saanin.

But I will agree that it's about fucking time they just got on with the fight already. The backstory did go on a little long, even if they did need filler. Just get me to the action already, dammit. it's been long enough

#85712  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:07 pm
Zeus wrote:Sine, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. The second-level Sharingan is a good way of tying in the Itachi-Sasuke backstory. And the method in which you achieve it does fit in with the fact that so few have ever reached it, and give another reason for Sasuke to fight Naruto, 'cause whether he likes it or not, Naruto is his best friend. It also fits in with the whole "forbidden power" thing, which is a very traditional difference between good and evil. Look at all the forbidden techniques Orochimaru's been using, and there's no denying his power. With no arms he took on a fellow Saanin.

But I will agree that it's about fucking time they just got on with the fight already. The backstory did go on a little long, even if they did need filler. Just get me to the action already, dammit. it's been long enough
First of all, everything they showed in the backstory is in the manga. Like I said the manga had about a 6 chapters for his backstory. Second of all, Itachi has used the high level Sharingan already before, they just didnt show us what it looked like. He has to use those eyes to use the move he used on Kakashi and on his brother in the past. So its not like the Kalidoscope Sharingan is something that they just brought in. As for what is necessary to activate the technique, considering how things work in Naruto it is entirely possible for something like that to happen.

#85713  by Zeus
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:46 pm
M'k'n'zy wrote:First of all, everything they showed in the backstory is in the manga. Like I said the manga had about a 6 chapters for his backstory. Second of all, Itachi has used the high level Sharingan already before, they just didnt show us what it looked like. He has to use those eyes to use the move he used on Kakashi and on his brother in the past. So its not like the Kalidoscope Sharingan is something that they just brought in. As for what is necessary to activate the technique, considering how things work in Naruto it is entirely possible for something like that to happen.
What Sine's referring to is that they just brought in the Mayogen-whatever Sharingan as a secondary level and conveniently tied it into Itachi's power. They never showed it when he tortured Kakashi or the first time when they showed him torturing Sasuke, but now they do. It is a little sneaky, but I don't mind so much.

If they did that much backstory in the manga, it was too much there too. I mean, you already know what's going to happen and they dragged their feet about it. You could easily have cut out an entire episode of backstory and lost absolutely nothing.

And like I said, I agree with you on the activation of the Super Sharingan, it makes perfect sense.

#85715  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:31 pm
Zeus wrote:
M'k'n'zy wrote:First of all, everything they showed in the backstory is in the manga. Like I said the manga had about a 6 chapters for his backstory. Second of all, Itachi has used the high level Sharingan already before, they just didnt show us what it looked like. He has to use those eyes to use the move he used on Kakashi and on his brother in the past. So its not like the Kalidoscope Sharingan is something that they just brought in. As for what is necessary to activate the technique, considering how things work in Naruto it is entirely possible for something like that to happen.
What Sine's referring to is that they just brought in the Mayogen-whatever Sharingan as a secondary level and conveniently tied it into Itachi's power. They never showed it when he tortured Kakashi or the first time when they showed him torturing Sasuke, but now they do. It is a little sneaky, but I don't mind so much.

If they did that much backstory in the manga, it was too much there too. I mean, you already know what's going to happen and they dragged their feet about it. You could easily have cut out an entire episode of backstory and lost absolutely nothing.
Actually, you are wrong. When he uses his attack against Kakashi he says that he is using the second level Sharingan. They just dont show the pupil of it yet.

As for dragging their feet, keep in mind two things. 1) Other than Sasuke wanted to kill his brother we knew nothing of his past. This way we got to see what the Uchiha clan was like, how Sasuke grew up, and we got to see Itachi's fall. 2) Sasuke is the most popular character in Naruto. In the most recent poll he took number one by almost 10000 votes if I remember right, it was a LARGE margin. It makes sense that the author would indulge the fans a bit by fleshing out their favoriate character while he had a chance. 3) I also get the feeling that we wont see Sasuke again for a long time after this, so it is important to get this kind of stuff in.

#85722  by SineSwiper
 Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:42 am
Zeus wrote:And the method in which you achieve it does fit in with the fact that so few have ever reached it, and give another reason for Sasuke to fight Naruto, 'cause whether he likes it or not, Naruto is his best friend. It also fits in with the whole "forbidden power" thing, which is a very traditional difference between good and evil. Look at all the forbidden techniques Orochimaru's been using, and there's no denying his power. With no arms he took on a fellow Saanin.
Yeah, it fits, but it's still lame. I'm sure Oro learned his forbidden techniques the normal way: reading hidden scrolls that were locked away, or discovering techniques himself. Even DBZ's Super Saiyan modes made some sort of sense: unlocking the anger/emotion to reach the level.

But, this isn't DBZ. This is Naruto. The special powers and abilities are more technical than that. Maybe I'd be better if they actually explained that the emotion tied to killing your best friend would activate the power, but somehow that still sounds lame. It just seems like one event doesn't tie into another.

#85728  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:11 am
Well, it kinda ties into Oro's techniques that he developed. If you follow the evil path (or the dark side :-), you can become even more powerful because you're doin' stuff you're not supposed and are learning all kinds of powers rather than those that befit a samurai or ninja, who's job it is to protect people, as Naruto continually reminds us. Deviate off that path and you can learn the powerful stuff that isn't for the common good. Therefore, you get the best of both worlds, but you become evil in the process. There doesn't have to be a midiclorian-type link, it's just you learn more stuff because you've expanded yourself. That's what they've been showing us with Oro and now Itachi.

Just accept it for what it is without explanation or linkage, like we all did with Star Wars when we were younger :-)