The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I "Heart" Huckabees, a great philosophical comedy

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #85753  by ManaMan
 Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:54 pm
They need to invent a new category for this movie. I saw it for the first time last night and I loved it. Very deep stuff, very philosophical.

I though Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin were great in it.

Has anybody else seen this movie?

#85754  by Kupek
 Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:47 pm
I saw it and liked it. It was able to present the ideas but not be preachy and make fun of them without mocking. Dusting Hoffman and Lily Tomlin were good, but I thought the best was Mark Wahlberg.

#85758  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:01 am
Mark Wahlberg? Didn't think his performance was anything to write home about. His character might have been good, but the best performances were easily given by the three doctors (Hoffman, Tomlin, and the other chick), particularly Hoffman and Tomlin. Their banter and play off of each other showed just how good they really are. The guy who played the main character was quite good too I thought, an excellent central character for the others to play off of.

Overalll, I was pleasantly surprised with the film, it was fun and a light sattire all at the same time.

#85792  by Imakeholesinu
 Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:00 pm
I rented this and I did want to like it but after 50 minutes of feeling like I need to hate myself and what I do with my life in order to achieve some sort of higher level of understanding, I turned it back on to the Cardinals game to watch Mark Mulder pitch 10 innings, ate some McDonalds which I drove my car to get to the drive through, and then drank three beers.

#85794  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:42 pm
Replace "50" with "35", "Cardinals" with "Blue Jays" and "McDonalds" with "Wendy's" and you've got my feelings for Garden State

#85813  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:48 pm
Alright Zeus, how's this sound, I'll sit down and watch I <3 Huckabees all the way through if you sit down and watch Garden State all the way through, since I think you really need to give that film a chance. It takes awhile to get going and you stopped right before it really started to get going. So I'll give I <3 Huckabees another chance if you give Garden State another chance.