The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Interpreter - awesome!

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #85808  by Nev
 Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:45 pm
So my date dragged me last night to this political thriller featuring Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman...it was WONDERFUL. Suspense movies are hard to review because giving away too much of the plot spoils the movie, but loosely the plot revolves around an interpreter (Kidman) working at the U.N. who accidentally overhears an assassination plot involving a highly unpopular African dictator.

Given my interest in international relations, I guess I was a liitle biased to like this movie. It actually was filmed on-site at the U.N. and the indoor scenes are very cool. There are some pretty heavy things in the movie - child soldiers and terrorist attacks - but given the fact that that shit is going on all the time anyway, it was refreshing to see some of it depicted in a way I thought was fairly credible. It deals a lot with the violence and instability of present-day Subsaharan Africa and really gave me food for thought on a lot of things.

Highly recommended!