The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Coming soon to television...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #86282  by Kupek
 Thu May 05, 2005 8:40 am
The Associated Press reports that NBC is developing a show called "The Book of Daniel" about a minister who abuses prescription drugs and is visited by a "cool, contemporary Jesus."
-<a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 0.html>The Christian Complex</a>, WP, free reg
I'm not really pointing out the article so others can read it, just so I can attribute the source.

#86283  by Zeus
 Thu May 05, 2005 9:14 am
I'm not religious, but that's crap. That's just jumping all over a pretty sad story

#86289  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 05, 2005 11:57 am
Interesting article, actually. I didn't know that Bush said that. Seems like the Republican party is finally seeing a little bit of backlash, but I'm sure that one comment will set everything straight, in his eyes, and it would be back to dodgy business as usual.

I don't mind registration sites as long as I have a way around it. I apparently already had my cookie from the last time I BugMeNotted the site, so I didn't see any reg screen.

#86290  by Kupek
 Thu May 05, 2005 12:07 pm
The column was interesting enough for me to finish, but I still felt it fell into the trap many columns do: take a few statistics, a few anecdotes, and use those to extrapolate to a perceived trend. Although I did like how he pointed out that asking God to bless the country after any press event is a recent phenomenon.

I really just felt compelled to pass on the phrase "cool, contemporary Jesus." I can't help but imagine a guy wearing birkenstocks, cargo shorts, a polo shirt and sporting a trim beard smiling and giving a Fonzie-like thumbs up.

I'm going to have to start slipping "cool, contemporary Jesus" into my everday speech.

#86295  by Tortolia
 Thu May 05, 2005 5:32 pm
I really just felt compelled to pass on the phrase "cool, contemporary Jesus." I can't help but imagine a guy wearing birkenstocks, cargo shorts, a polo shirt and sporting a trim beard smiling and giving a Fonzie-like thumbs up.
Reminds me of a recent IRC quote.

"I'm white, moderately successful, and American. Short of having God Almighty descend from heaven and give me a Fonzy like 'Hey!' I really don't see how my lot in life could be much better. "

#86297  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 05, 2005 10:20 pm
Hey, it worked for Buddy Jesus. I guess now we have this new image that we will call "Fonzie Jesus".

#86301  by Ishamael
 Fri May 06, 2005 2:02 am
Kupek wrote: I really just felt compelled to pass on the phrase "cool, contemporary Jesus." I can't help but imagine a guy wearing birkenstocks, cargo shorts, a polo shirt and sporting a trim beard smiling and giving a Fonzie-like thumbs up.
Why stop with Jesus? They could spruce up all the characters in both the Old and New Testament. Solomon can be a smart loner with commitment issues. Paul can be a wise easy going guy who used to be a real asshole before an accident made him change his ways.

For some reason, when I read stories like this, I'm always reminded of the Simpson episode with the Planet of the Apes musical, possibly my favorite Simpson's musical. I still actively crack up whenever I think about that "I hate every ape I see; from Chimpan-a to Chimpanzee" line.

#86314  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri May 06, 2005 10:12 am
Seriously though guys, What would Jesus do in this situation? *rimshot*