The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Revenge of the Sith...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #86257  by Nev
 Wed May 04, 2005 1:40 am
I just saw it - my mom's new partner had a connection to a screening and gave me a ticket...

I believe most people on the board will like it. There was quite a bit of cheering at the end by the audience. Visually it's probably easily the most impressive movie made to date.

However, I left midway through and went to the Westwood arcade near UCLA. I only came back near the end because I didn't want to be disrespectful to my mom's partner, who's a pretty cool guy. God, with the exception of the amazing computer-aided graphics, what a terrible movie in my opinion. I won't go into specifics because of possible spoilers, but the plot and acting left me wanting to not see any of the movie ever again.

#86261  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 04, 2005 5:30 am
While I don't doubt Lucas' ability to fuck up movies, I don't quite think it's a completely valid review without seeing the whole thing.

#86263  by Kupek
 Wed May 04, 2005 8:55 am
So... you thought the plot and the acting made it a terrible movie, but believe most people here will like it. Gee, thanks.

#86265  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 04, 2005 9:33 am
I have no doubt that all the star wars geeks will hate it, and yet STILL see it 10 times in theatres like they did the last two.

On a side topic, is it TRUE that they actually cheered? That is just fucked in my opinion =)

#86266  by Eric
 Wed May 04, 2005 1:00 pm
Bu....but it has Vader... ;_;

#86267  by Nev
 Wed May 04, 2005 2:27 pm
SineSwiper wrote:While I don't doubt Lucas' ability to fuck up movies, I don't quite think it's a completely valid review without seeing the whole thing.
If I hated the first 45 min so much I felt I had to miss half of it, I believe that puts my feelings across pretty well.

#86268  by Nev
 Wed May 04, 2005 2:29 pm
Kupek wrote:So... you thought the plot and the acting made it a terrible movie, but believe most people here will like it. Gee, thanks.
I'll stop assuming I know what other people will like, then. I was the only one out of those I saw it with who didn't like it, and I didn't want to badmouth the movie to the point where it would stop others from going to see it. Your sarcasm is not appreciated, Kup.

#86269  by Nev
 Wed May 04, 2005 2:30 pm
The Seeker wrote:I have no doubt that all the star wars geeks will hate it, and yet STILL see it 10 times in theatres like they did the last two.

On a side topic, is it TRUE that they actually cheered? That is just fucked in my opinion =)
Yep, lots of cheering at points throughout the whole movie (the parts I was there for, anyway).

#86270  by Nev
 Wed May 04, 2005 2:32 pm
Eric wrote:Bu....but it has Vader... ;_;
I thought Hayden Christiansen was really very good in about half the scenes. But the other half I just wanted to get up and leave (and so I did!), though truth be told I felt that way about nearly all of the major actors.

#86272  by Lox
 Wed May 04, 2005 3:16 pm
Mental wrote:
Kupek wrote:So... you thought the plot and the acting made it a terrible movie, but believe most people here will like it. Gee, thanks.
I'll stop assuming I know what other people will like, then. I was the only one out of those I saw it with who didn't like it, and I didn't want to badmouth the movie to the point where it would stop others from going to see it. Your sarcasm is not appreciated, Kup.

#86273  by Tortolia
 Wed May 04, 2005 5:22 pm
You can pry my sarcasm from my cold, dead fingers.

#86274  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Wed May 04, 2005 10:44 pm
Mental wrote:I'll stop assuming I know what other people will like, then. I was the only one out of those I saw it with who didn't like it, and I didn't want to badmouth the movie to the point where it would stop others from going to see it. Your sarcasm is not appreciated, Kup.
WHAT THE FUCK. I think the drugs may have broken your mind, Mental.

#86275  by Julius Seeker
 Thu May 05, 2005 12:53 am
Mental wrote:
The Seeker wrote:I have no doubt that all the star wars geeks will hate it, and yet STILL see it 10 times in theatres like they did the last two.

Yep, lots of cheering at points throughout the whole movie (the parts I was there for, anyway).
Must be a California thing. I have heard about people cheering in theatres before, but it is highly strange, don't you think?

#86276  by Eric
 Thu May 05, 2005 1:30 am
The Seeker wrote:
Mental wrote:

Must be a California thing. I have heard about people cheering in theatres before, but it is highly strange, don't you think?
I haven't heard cheering. But I have heard other things. Like for The Blair Witch Project I heard alot of "What the fuck was that shit?!"

And for the Matrix Revolutions, I heard alot of "Are you kidding me?!"

Ohhh and for the end of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, we were ALL like "Ughhhh.." when we thought the movie was gonna end but it kept going around the 2:45 hour mark. ;p

#86278  by Torgo
 Thu May 05, 2005 3:33 am
I don't think it's regional. There was lots of cheering when I watched Episodes I and II on opening day (Guam and Boston, respectively). I think it's just the fact that there were a bunch of Star Wars aficionados finally watching something they've been anticipating for years. People tend to act differently in groups, especially when they know thay have similar interests with almost everyone else. This is also the case with theaters that have midnight showings of older movies. Think of a bunch of college kids watching The Goonies or Ghostbusters on the big screen.

But yeah, for the most part, cheering is a pretty rare ocurrence.

And for the record, yes, I joined in the audience in booing Jar Jar's appearance in Ep II, and cheered when Yoda showed up in the end.

#86286  by Julius Seeker
 Thu May 05, 2005 11:14 am
I think it is probably regional to several areas. I have not ever heard of any place outside of California that does that. I also find it humerous that people would cheer an emotionless movie screen.

In Vancouver, Lord of the Rings got cheered, but that was because Ian Mckellan was at the theatre. Perhaps if George Lucas himself stood in front of the screen for the entire movie; that would warrant some cheering =P

#86287  by Kupek
 Thu May 05, 2005 11:29 am
I've witnessed cheering at some movies on opening weekend. People are fully aware that their cheering in no way gets to the people who made the movie, it's just an expression of how they feel.

#86291  by Lox
 Thu May 05, 2005 1:20 pm
Kupek wrote:I've witnessed cheering at some movies on opening weekend. People are fully aware that their cheering in no way gets to the people who made the movie, it's just an expression of how they feel.
I'm trying to think if I have ever been in a movie where people cheered. I've been in a few where people applauded at the end. I don't think I've ever been in one where people cheered.

Granted, when I saw Episode II with a huge group my friends a few years back we would do shouts of cheering and such at cool moments like when Anakin kills the Sand People or when Yoda fights Dooku, but it was never extended.

I think people cheer, like Torgo said, when they are in a group that they know share the same feelings and they feel like they have a camraderie with others in the audience.

#86292  by Zeus
 Thu May 05, 2005 2:07 pm
I've only seen cheering twice: at the opening of the re-release of the original trilogy (special editions) in 1997 and at the opening of Episode 1. We get clapping at the end every once in a while here when people are very happy with the outcome, but not overly huge amount.

#86294  by Nev
 Thu May 05, 2005 4:45 pm
Andrew, Killer Bee wrote:
Mental wrote:I'll stop assuming I know what other people will like, then. I was the only one out of those I saw it with who didn't like it, and I didn't want to badmouth the movie to the point where it would stop others from going to see it. Your sarcasm is not appreciated, Kup.
WHAT THE FUCK. I think the drugs may have broken your mind, Mental.
Care to explain that little comment?

#86300  by Ishamael
 Fri May 06, 2005 1:54 am
I've seen cheering at several movies, always involving movies with a large preset fan base (all the Stars Wars, including the prequals and re-releases of the OT, and all the LotR movies). I've seen this in 2 or 3 states, so it's definitely not regional.

Scenes that got the most cheers off the top of my head:

(1) The beginning scroll in the re-release of the OT on the big screen
(2) Vader first showing up and killing people on the big screen
(3) Yoda proving that though he's short and green, he's a true Jedi Master.
(4) Aragorn killing the super orc in the first LotR in the fight in the woods

#86394  by Zeus
 Sun May 08, 2005 10:40 am
What amazed me is how much they got McGregor to look like Guiness. With his dead-on accent an mannerisms, he's exactly the young Obi Wan I always envisioned