The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Sith Review. No Spoilers...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #87292  by Ishamael
 Thu May 19, 2005 6:02 am
Thumbs WAY up on this. Somewhat shaky start and a few hiccups here and there, but they nailed ALL the important points.

My favorite parts aren't even the action sequences. The highlights to me are the Anakin and Palpatine conversing. Great, great work. The Change was SO well done. I didn't think Lucas had this level of script writing left in him. I don't know how he managed to dig up this level of subtlety after the first two movies.

And while I said my favorite parts aren't the action sequences, don't let that fool you. The actions scenes are very good. However, THE light saber battle was....INCREDIBLE.

Gotta see it again. Will post spoiler review at some point.

#87300  by Julius Seeker
 Thu May 19, 2005 8:29 am
There is an identical thread to this one.

viewtopic.php?t=9113
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Thu May 19, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#87358  by Nev
 Thu May 19, 2005 7:47 pm
Oh no there isn't, not if you're talking about the one I started. Identical subject material, yes. Identical reviewer opinion, no.

#87364  by Torgo
 Thu May 19, 2005 10:00 pm
Ishmael wrote:The Change was SO well done. I didn't think Lucas had this level of script writing left in him. I don't know how he managed to dig up this level of subtlety after the first two movies.
Dude, seriously. I was so surprised by how good those scenes turned out. I agree on the first hour or so kinda dragging along, but once things get going, hoo-boy. I'm definitely watching this at least two more times.

#87401  by Nev
 Fri May 20, 2005 11:48 am
I need to print a retraction on my earlier review...I didn't give it enough of a chance before. I'd actually managed to leave right around when things started getting good. So I actually ended up enjoying it very much last night.

#87419  by the Gray
 Fri May 20, 2005 4:26 pm
Wow, someone here can actually admit that they were wrong and that they've changed their opinion?

Good on you Mental. I haven't seen it yet, but I have to say I was scared by your aversion to it. Now, I at least think I'll walk away satisfied.

#87449  by Gentz
 Sat May 21, 2005 3:12 pm
I've returned just to say that this movie fucking RULED. Overall, I came away with zero disappointments - and that's tough to do. I'll mirror Ish's opinion that Anakin's slide in the dark side was executed superbly - due mainly to the fact that Palpatine's performance was top notch and pretty much carried the entire film. The Anakin-Padme scenes still borderline on intolerable, but for once I don't think it diminished the impact of the story. This is the only installment of the new series that can compete with the original trilogy, I think.

EDIT: I was sad to see that General Grievous was something of a punk bitch in the film, while he came off as more of a terrifying unstoppable maniac in the Clone Wars shorts. But that's a pretty minor complaint. He still had some sweet action sequences.

#87451  by Nev
 Sat May 21, 2005 3:54 pm
the Gray wrote:Wow, someone here can actually admit that they were wrong and that they've changed their opinion?

Good on you Mental. I haven't seen it yet, but I have to say I was scared by your aversion to it. Now, I at least think I'll walk away satisfied.
Yeah, it was very good. I won't post any spoilers, but when I decided to give it more of a chance (it actually got REALLY good right after when I'd left before), there were times when I felt like I was watching one of the original trilogy. I fully retract what I said - though it does start out a little slow and not quite as good - and it's very definitely worth seeing.

The Anakin/Padme scenes do suck, but it was kind of cool because I saw it in Westwood near UCLA, and as hard as the crowd was cheering for the good stuff, they were laughing that hard at the Anakin/Padme scenes (knowing that they were pretty laughable), which was neat.

#87459  by the Gray
 Sat May 21, 2005 11:41 pm
Just saw it today. Very satisfying conclusion to the first 3. Whew.

Padmé/Anakin scenes were still brutally painful though. Yoda and the Emperor made up for them however.

#87536  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon May 23, 2005 4:22 pm
The acting was still sub-par compared to the other films. It's as if Natalie Portman was told not to act at all. Also the Frankestein homage with Vadar was the stupidest thing I ever saw and really took away from that scene. It was great to watch still, but it was a shame that the things that were so awfully wrong in the other films were still so wrong in this film as well.

#87542  by Julius Seeker
 Mon May 23, 2005 7:38 pm
Saw it, it was a fairly entertaining movie; as good as any other starwars movie made. Crash and Kingdom of Heaven are both better movies and in theatres right now.