The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• EsquE, to catch you up on things

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #86972  by Zeus
 Mon May 16, 2005 1:33 pm
1) Every movie you've liked since you've left I've disliked (aside from Napoleon Dynamite; that ruled!), same as all the rest here :-)

2) You have to get into Naruto. It's the best anime series ever. There are currently at least 4 regular watchers (read: those who download the anime the second it's been subbed, which is weekly approx. 20 hours after airing in Japan) and a bunch of others who dabble in it. Go to www.narutochaos.com, register, and you can download them all. I suggest the AonE (used to be both ANBU and Anime ONe or AonE) ones if possible, Dattebayo if not (the newest one only).

3) I'm still the only one who liked the SW prequel trilogy, so when the critics say "it's the best of the prequel trilogy", that means "it's right up there with Empire" to me :-). To everyone else, that means "it MAY be up to par of the series, but it's still 1/10th as good as any of the old ones, 1/50th as good as Empire".

Really, that's about it. I mean, not much has changed in what, the year or so you've been gone? Other than the G-Man/Sine spat, it's about normal.

#86974  by Julius Seeker
 Mon May 16, 2005 2:51 pm
I like the new series better than the old one for the most part.
 #86976  by Lox
 Mon May 16, 2005 3:12 pm
Zeus wrote:3) I'm still the only one who liked the SW prequel trilogy, so when the critics say "it's the best of the prequel trilogy", that means "it's right up there with Empire" to me :-). To everyone else, that means "it MAY be up to par of the series, but it's still 1/10th as good as any of the old ones, 1/50th as good as Empire".
Actually, while I may rank Jedi and Empire higher on my list than AotC, I still really really like AotC and it's even the only SW movie I own on DVD (until all 6 are released sometime in the semi-near future). :)

#86983  by Nev
 Mon May 16, 2005 5:17 pm
(sobs profusely)
 #87287  by EsquE
 Thu May 19, 2005 12:56 am
Zeus wrote:1) Every movie you've liked since you've left I've disliked (aside from Napoleon Dynamite; that ruled!), same as all the rest here :-)
No doubt...haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite though...probably because everyone keeps telling me I "have" to see it...and I keep telling them to "fuck off" and refuse to see it out of spite...
Zeus wrote:2) You have to get into Naruto. It's the best anime series ever. There are currently at least 4 regular watchers (read: those who download the anime the second it's been subbed, which is weekly approx. 20 hours after airing in Japan) and a bunch of others who dabble in it. Go to www.narutochaos.com, register, and you can download them all. I suggest the AonE (used to be both ANBU and Anime ONe or AonE) ones if possible, Dattebayo if not (the newest one only).
No idea how to use bitTorrent....is it on Adult Swim?
Zeus wrote:3) I'm still the only one who liked the SW prequel trilogy, so when the critics say "it's the best of the prequel trilogy", that means "it's right up there with Empire" to me :-). To everyone else, that means "it MAY be up to par of the series, but it's still 1/10th as good as any of the old ones, 1/50th as good as Empire".
Ehhhh...I enjoyed Clones. I'd put it almost even with A New Hope and above RotJ. Phantom Menace though...ruined too much of Star Wars for me...midi-chlorians? MIDI-FUCKING-CHLORIANS?!?! I only have the DVD for the Darth Maul fight and the wicked special effects...and because Ewan McGregor is my messiah...
Zeus wrote:Really, that's about it. I mean, not much has changed in what, the year or so you've been gone? Other than the G-Man/Sine spat, it's about normal.
Has it really been a year? damn....
 #87298  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 19, 2005 8:05 am
EsquE wrote:No idea how to use bitTorrent....is it on Adult Swim?
It will be eventually, but no clue on how the dubbing is going to be. Probably a 50/50 chance that it's going to be bad.

BT is easy. Just grab Azereus, my favorite BT client, or there's others, including the original BitTorrent. Afterwards, click on a torrent file on the web, and it'll automatically get the information from other peers. Here's a good summary and also links to get it (at gotwoot.net).
 #87338  by Zeus
 Thu May 19, 2005 11:12 am
EsquE wrote: No idea how to use bitTorrent....is it on Adult Swim?
Bittorrent is the new peer-to-peer file sharing thing where one person (to start) sets up (or "seeds") a file for download somewhere. For example, let's say Sine sets one up (called a "seeder"). Then, say you decide to download it. So you'd be downloading from Sine (you'd be labelled as a "leecher"). Then, if Eric came along and wanted the file as well, he'd be downloading the full version from Sine and also whatever portion you have from you. And it goes on and on. So you can imagine for something like Naruto where you have thousands of nerds anxiously awaiting each release how fast you'd be able to download it with so many seeders (if you keep your window or program open after you've got the whole thing, you become a seeder yourself) and leechers grabbing the file. You're grabbing like 1k/sec off of about 200 guys at once. This is how I can download a 170MB Naruto ep in about 15 minutes.

If you just download the Bittorrent program without a GUI, what it does is open up all your ports (ALL of them) for people to be grabbing the file off of you. This will VERY quickly slow your Internet down to a crawl as you'll be maxing out your upload speed basically immediately. So you get a GUI to control it, basically. I personally prefer BitComet as my client. All I want to do is control where it saves (the original Bittorrent will allow this), what part I download (in case I have parts of it), and how much of my upload bandwidth I'm sharing. It does all that fine so that's all I care about. Go to www.download.com and look for BitComet and you'll find it.

Just remember, everyone else can see what about you're sharing, so if you don't share at all, some guys will kick you off. Besides, you want to be a good little boy and share, don't you? :-)

#87339  by Don
 Thu May 19, 2005 11:20 am
Don't be retarded. No one wants to share which is why there's all kinds of stuff that can secretly throttle your upload speed even though just about every BT client has your download speed proportional to your upload speed. Sharing = bad.

#87351  by Zeus
 Thu May 19, 2005 12:44 pm
For a second there, I thought you were being sarcastic. But then again, I am retarded :-)

#87367  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 19, 2005 11:01 pm
Nah, it's just another case of Don Wang being extremely pessemistic. Hate the world, you goth!