The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I always wanted to create my own FF3 characters

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #87487  by SineSwiper
 Sun May 22, 2005 11:55 am
FF3 ROM hacking guide

It would be kinda cool to create a game with more abilities on the character, but with higher stats on the enemies. Edgar could replace his Fight command with Tools, and put MagiTek in place of Tools. Give Terra/Strago X-Magic from the start. Replace Fight with SwdTech on Cyan, and give him Shock (the command that Leo had).

#87489  by Kupek
 Sun May 22, 2005 12:36 pm
It would be really fun to look around the source code for some 16-bit era games.

#87512  by SineSwiper
 Mon May 23, 2005 12:53 am
RomHacking.com has some other guides for some of the ROMs.

#87526  by Kupek
 Mon May 23, 2005 11:27 am
That, however, is quite different from looking at the source code itself.

#87527  by Julius Seeker
 Mon May 23, 2005 12:12 pm
"If someone asks if you're a god you say yes!" -Winston Zedmore, Ghostbusters

#87530  by SineSwiper
 Mon May 23, 2005 1:23 pm
FF3 - Hard Mode

Okay, here it is. The enemies are a lot harder, but you also have some cool abilities. I've tested most of it up to Sabin.

Seeker, you wanna play FF3 one more time? (Or anybody else for that matter?)

#87531  by Lox
 Mon May 23, 2005 1:29 pm
SineSwiper wrote:FF3 - Hard Mode

Okay, here it is. The enemies are a lot harder, but you also have some cool abilities. I've tested most of it up to Sabin.

Seeker, you wanna play FF3 one more time? (Or anybody else for that matter?)
Is it a rom? If I can find some time, I'll try it out. :)

#87532  by Julius Seeker
 Mon May 23, 2005 1:43 pm
I play it once every year, and I haven't played it yet this year. After I am done FF7 I will play it. Speaking of which, today being a holiday I will be able to put in a good 2-4 hours and have my second journal entry up (yeah, I might be a bit nuts, but I want RPG's to mean a little more to me when I play them now; it seems like just a waste of time playing them without putting any thought into them).

#87562  by SineSwiper
 Tue May 24, 2005 3:51 am
Yeah, this is a ROM. I'll make an IPS file later on, since technically, the ROM is illegal. I've make it a little easier in the beginning with some added abilities on Terra and Locke, though I'll still trying to figure out if it's the difficulty I want.

I played it through the rafts on this new one, and it's pretty good, though not as fearfully hard as the last time. The last play didn't have Terra's MagiTek or Locke's Health, so healing was harder and Terra didn't do that much damage. I actually died to the Mt. Koltz boss the last run because of the formerly high HP. (Reduced the 2x HP to 1.25x for bosses.) Now, it was fairly easy. I guess the first part is supposed to be somewhat easy, but it should progress to be harder down the line. You can still die if you're not careful.

There are a few minor problems: Using Sabin's Rage during the Vargas battle is probably a bad idea, Terra can't use healing magic outside of battle because it doesn't register X-Magic as a valid skill for that. There will probably be a problem with the second time you get into MagiTek armor, since most people don't have a Fight command. (With Sabin, Cyan, Shadow on that one, I'll have to see if it's doable to have only Sabin fighting with it, or maybe Capture counts as a Fight command, too.)

EDIT: You can do just about anything easily with this tool