The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• You think you know someone...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #87902  by Nev
 Mon May 30, 2005 8:48 pm
So a friend of mine that I've known for a year has been in a band (actually with a few other guys I know) for awhile. I never really gave it much thought, and I'd never seen him or heard him play, I actually thought he probably wasn't very good. Last night he comes over and we get (adjective) on (something green) and he downloads their studio CD from their website to my computer.

Dear God, it's amazing. I mean, seriously, I think he should be looking for recording contracts for them, though he said they're not really trying to get famous or anything. I've been listening to it all day, and not just because he's my friend. They sound like a cross between The Cure and, like, Erasure, or something, but they really have a range and their songs are pretty different in feel. (I really don't like bands that just play a bunch of similar-sounding songs.) I wouldn't say they're up there with serious commercial bands yet, but I could easily see them getting there.

People are really pretty cool sometimes.

#87909  by EsquE
 Tue May 31, 2005 12:32 am
Link?

#87925  by Nev
 Tue May 31, 2005 10:21 am
http://thomasapartment.com . I particularly like the "Silly Sky" track.

#87974  by Nev
 Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:40 am
O_o

He came over again today and downloaded his solo stuff for me. It includes (in my opinion) professional quality tracks in piano, a cappella, and pure electronica.

http://www.unity303.com/mindfeed.php

He tried to be very self-deprecating about it and do the whole "this needs work" thing, which I think he sincerely believes, but luckily he stopped after awhile...

Seriously, if anyone here likes electronica, I urge you to check out "Faithless Society" on this album, which is all available from the site I just posted.

#88042  by Nev
 Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:20 pm
Has anyone actually checked this out? I've been listening to two of the electronica tracks off his album nonstop for about three days now.

It's somewhat mindblowing to think that this music which I am very, very excited about - probably more excited than I have been about any artist's work since Dave Matthews Band or Orbital (my two top groups) - was created by someone I know!

#88097  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:39 am
Not bad. Not my flavor, but pretty good. His voice is very very....errr, I dunno. It's very very something. I'll listen to the solo stuff later on, but...alright! Demon Days is on AllOfMP3!

#88127  by Nev
 Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:29 pm
The solo stuff is going to be a lot more your style. Honestly actually the two pure electronica tracks on his solo album are the only ones that I would really consider as good as anything I've heard.

#88165  by EsquE
 Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:31 am
Some very cool stuff...haven't listened to the solo stuff you put up, but the band is very cool. You're right, they do have that 80's new wave feel along the lines of The Cure or New Order, with some late 90's pop/rock mixed in there. The vocals need to come up more though, because he's good and the lyrics are strong. Can't wait to check out the solo stuff, should be good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a contract because that 80's style of pop/rock is really making a comeback with The Killers, Franz Ferdinand and Jet amongst others...

#88168  by Nev
 Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:46 am
I don't think they're going to get a contract because he's NOT LOOKING for a contract. I don't understand, but whichever.

Anyway, hurry up and listen to the solos, which I think are the stronger pieces, so I have someone to talk to about it! "Faithless Society" and "Jumped In" would be my recommendations on a starting point.

#88253  by EsquE
 Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:14 am
Ok, pretty much listened to all of them...some really beautiful stuff that I think I'll be leaving on my computer for awhile...

Very 80's, which I love...plus some cool techno...little Aphex Twin meets New Order going on in It Used to be 2.0...synth and drum machines are on the way back...

Cold April Showers is beautiful....but he has to turn up the vocals...kinda has a David Usher type voice but you can barely hear him...is he kinda self conscious about his voice? Because he shouldn't be...

I Walk Alone is very strong...so is Jumped In...

Really good stuff...he might get a contract whether he wants one or not...

#88353  by Nev
 Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:19 am
Ack! How did I miss this?

Yeah, he's a little self-conscious in general, and in some ways I think even more insecure than I am. His voice in real life is barely like his singing voice at all, which is why I was stunned to hear his stuff initially.

He's actually my business partner since I left JAMDAT - we've started development on some mobile libraries; our stated goal is to score a hit game or two so he has the financial stability to work on his music full-time. It's a little crazy, because he's a really very good programmer as well, which is a juxtaposition that I don't think I've ever seen before (music and programming).

I've been humming the first few lines of I Walk Alone as I walk around my neighborhood. I'm not as into Cold April Showers, but I'm glad you liked it, and I recognize it as strong (now that I'm actually listening to the whole thing!). Jumped In is definitely a favorite of mine (I might see if I can get him to make me a version with a less aggressive bassline than the 303 he's using in it though).

It's exciting, because he says he'll help me and teach me what he knows about electronica...

#88387  by EsquE
 Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:20 am
Heh...I figure programming would be a helpful skill in electronic music...shit, look at Nine Inch Nails...almost everything he does is programmed...

And definitely take him up on teaching you music...one thing I regret is never really learning beyond the little skill I have with a guitar...nothing beats creation...

I really need to start painting again...

#88389  by Nev
 Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:13 am
Well, I mean hard-core C/C++/Java, compiled-code programming, not music production software skills. Not that they both aren't useful, but they're very different.

I've often thought about trying to write some utility stuff to help me in my own nascent electronica...