The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Saw Fantastic 4

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #89757  by M'k'n'zy
 Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:03 pm
I have to say I was happy with the movie. I've been a fan of the comics for a long time, so I was nervous going in, but I left plesantly surprised. Defidently worth checking out.l

#89760  by Derithian
 Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:24 pm
exactly

The casting of Ben and Johnny was perfect....easily the best part of the flick

#89761  by M'k'n'zy
 Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:39 pm
I also felt they did a great job keeping the feel of the comics intact. The teamwork aspect, as well as the team having their own problems.

#89798  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:14 pm
Ebert didn't like it

His review seems to review my worst fears about the movie, judging from the trailers, PR, etc. I hate it when movies get too much PR; it makes it look like that the movie would suck without the PR.

#89838  by Kupek
 Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:03 am
Most of the reviews I've read have said about the same thing. I wasn't impressed with the trailers. Or, more accurately, I thought the trailers looked pretty accurately like the Fantastic Four, and I've never been impressed with the Fantastic Four themselves.

I'll probably pick it up as a rental when it makes its way to Blockbuster.

#89843  by Zeus
 Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:42 am
I've actually changed my mind a little because of the trailers. I can live with the pathetic love story that's surely to come from Storm and Richards and the whole cowboy-playboy thing from Johnny, but the trailer showed that the movie looked pretty cool. As long as I drop my expectations really low it should be fun for a cheapy ($6.50 Cdn)

Unfortunately, I read a review in Friday's Toronto Sun (they actually have really good reviews for a daily paper that's barely not a tabloid) and the change in origin for Doctor Doom seems like a really big mistake and something I'm going to dread.....

#89850  by Derithian
 Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:22 pm
why? all they did was use the Ultimate fantastic four instead of the regular FF. And I'll be damned I like Ultimate Fantastic Four

#89864  by Zeus
 Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:02 pm
Derithian wrote:why? all they did was use the Ultimate fantastic four instead of the regular FF. And I'll be damned I like Ultimate Fantastic Four
Is that what they did for Doom's history in the Ultimate one? I guess it'll help better put ties with the F4, but I always kinda liked the whole take-revenge-on-the-world-for-my-misfortunes thing. I'm not totally against the idea, but because the other back story was so good and a great way to introduce the character, this one is going to feel like a bit of a Hollywood-type formula cop-out, even if it is in the comics. The real history from 1961 is so good there's no reason to change it. That's what I'm going to dread.

#90459  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:12 pm
I do agree with you there, but overall I was happy with the movie. Thought they did a good job. Not perfect, but not terrible either.

#90494  by Zeus
 Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:17 pm
Yeah, for the most part, the movie was just there. Chiklits was great and I have to admit, Johnny Storm wasn't nearly as irritating as I thought he would be; even comical and fun in some scenes. But the rest (and the plot) were just there