The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Fuck (Napster)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #90276  by Nev
 Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:13 pm
It seems Napster is losing money (according to their Wikipedia article). I suppose it would be too much to hope that if the service is cancelled I'd actually be able to keep all the songs I got from it.

#90278  by Don
 Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:04 pm
I know there's always the underlying infrastructure costs but selling music online seems like very difficult to actually lose money on. Is there an explanation on why they're losing money?

#90282  by Nev
 Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:49 pm
Not one I've seen, but I haven't really looked that hard.

#90295  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:41 pm
I told you to Fuck Napster a long time ago.
Don Wang wrote:I know there's always the underlying infrastructure costs but selling music online seems like very difficult to actually lose money on. Is there an explanation on why they're losing money?
Big surprise: nobody like their stupid "rental" model, so they are going under. Yes, it is hard to believe that somebody is actually losing money on online music, but there you go. If they did things right, this wouldn't happen. I'm sure Rhapsidy is experiencing a similar situation, especially if enough people read the fine print.

#90299  by Nev
 Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:02 pm
Well, shit. We'd agreed that I would always do what you say, because you're always right, and I completely forgot. My bad! :)

#90302  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:07 pm
Good. I'm glad you understand :)

#90325  by Nev
 Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:30 am
Clever repartee, Mister Bond. But can you defeat my legion of evil henchmen?

#90338  by Garford
 Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:58 am
Don Wang wrote:I know there's always the underlying infrastructure costs but selling music online seems like very difficult to actually lose money on. Is there an explanation on why they're losing money?
Don't underestimate maintaince cost, they can pile up quite high. Together with daily expenses such as electricity, ISP cost etc, any online application can cause a significant dent to a company's earnings.