The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Howl's Moving Castle

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #91623  by Zeus
 Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:22 am
Has anyone here actually seen it? I saw it last week with my wife and thought it was pretty damned good. Not quite up there with Spirited Away or Mononoke, but not far off either. Miyasaki just doesn't do bad flicks. This one is a little more adult oriented - main character is a young woman rather than a girl - but it still retains the Miyasaki charm.

#91626  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:55 am
Zeus wrote:This one is a little more adult oriented - main character is a young woman rather than a girl - but it still retains the Miyasaki charm.
Heh, I think the guy doesn't want to be accused of being a pedophile any more.

#91643  by Zeus
 Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:14 pm
Like all of the past Disney movie creators? :-)

#91648  by Nev
 Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:34 pm
(freeze-frames Lilo and Stitch...) OH MY GOD!!!!!

Kidding. There was that one frame in Roger Rabbit, but Jessica was totally an adult.

#91661  by M'k'n'zy
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:07 pm
I have been desperate to see it. Do you know if there is a fansub floating around? *goes to check boxtorrents*

#91674  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:53 pm
Mental wrote:(freeze-frames Lilo and Stitch...) OH MY GOD!!!!!
Well, it's was just a matter that the star of all of his previous movies was a 12ish year old girl. Do that enough times, it really makes you wonder.

#91684  by Nev
 Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:11 am
Actually, I honestly could really care less. They're not real girls, and anyway, if you go back through history, it's only fairly recently that young girls weren't getting married at, say, 15, or whatever.

I'm not saying I think it's a good thing, but I don't have the zealous hatred of men who are attracted to teenage girls that a lot of people seem to. Yes, it certainly can (and in our society, almost certainly does) cause problems...but as controversial an opinion as it might be, I'm not one to reject feelings out of hand just because one party is a lot older than the other. (Though, I'm certainly not one to support it out of hand just because of that, either.)

My sister is living with a boyfriend 21 years older than she is (she's 21, he's 42). She started going out with him when she was 18. I didn't think I really approved at first, but you know what? They have a better relationship than anyone else I know. They're happy together, they have fun...do they love each other? I don't know. It doesn't *look* like I always expected love between two people to look. But they're happy, and compared to my father and stepmother's nasty, biting, often selfish relationship, I'll take that any day.

Now, 12 is different from 18...but trust me, there are girls out there having sex at 12. And you know what? As much as saying it might get me shot in Arkansas...biologically, a lot of 12-year-old girls are fertile. So it may be a serious cultural error, but it's not a biological one.

Again, I'm not saying it's "right", but I don't think one will ever get me to hate men who are attracted to these girls, out of hand, anymore. In our society, it has become a serious problem because of cultural attitudes, probably due to the fact that in most cases, maturity and growth *do* vastly improve the chances of a healthy relationship. I do believe most relationships benefit from maturity. Our culture certainly prizes that. But I don't believe demonizing men who are attracted to girls in their teens really does any fucking good. I rarely think demonizing anyone does any fucking good, actually. It might be an unpopular opinion, it might get me shot in Arkansas, but you know what, I do believe it.

#91697  by Don
 Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:43 am
Half of Miyazaki's stuff is about the horrors of capitalism and the other half is about saving trees. The heroine happens to a young girl because a young girl happens to fit the nature camp pretty well (Naussica, Mononoke Hime) and a young proleteriat girl/peasant similarly fits the communism vs capitalism theme as well.