The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Damn you ass holes. I'm all narutarded now.......

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #92397  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:37 am
41 episodes in and I just can't get enough.....good thing I'm bedridden or this would be a horrid waste of time.....fucking bum ticker keeping me laid up so why not have a naruto party....so my impressions so far....

The first arc could easily have been called Sasuke as he stole the show. great great character and really enjoyable. I didn't like how it took 35 episodes for Sakura to do much of anything but when she took out the sound ninja with the crazy wind hands it was pretty badass that she finally came into her own. Really it isn't until the first exam that naruto really really starts to shine. to start with ist was pure brash anooying impulsiveness. Before that he was kind of annoying. after that you really start to see the inner working of the character. (Hey I'm a writer....I overanalyze all this shit and love it) Kakashit is pure badass especially in the fight on the bridge. Really all in all I'm absolutely loving it...........

#92402  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:56 am
Wait 'til you see where the Chuunin exam arc goes. It's HUGE and the best arc of the series, IMO. There's a fight that rules all in ep 82, my fav so far.

Hmm, at this rate, you'll catch up to ep 152 in what, two weeks? About par for a true Narutard :-)

#92403  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:25 pm
jesus it's that fucking long. I hit episode 44 and thought I was close to being done. Ioga is a freaking badass........crazy shadow deal......that was a funny win. I also loves me some rock lee.......gives a damn good laugh can't wait for his fight.......

#92404  by SineSwiper
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:33 pm
Nah, one of the best fights in the whole series is 48-50. By the way, in case you didn't know Japanese, it says "Love" on Garaa's forehead. Fucked up kid, he is.

#92407  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:49 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Nah, one of the best fights in the whole series is 48-50. By the way, in case you didn't know Japanese, it says "Love" on Garaa's forehead. Fucked up kid, he is.
Oh, that one rules too, but my fav of the series is the one in 82. There are a ton of good fights in that arc, especially near the end.

#92408  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:54 pm
HAHA! I SHALL BE THE ONLY SHRINER TO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THE NARUTO STORM OF DOOM!!!

#92410  by Nev
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:20 pm
The only other Shriner, my friend. I think the chances of my getting caught in Hurricane Naruto are a bit less than my chances of marrying, say, Seeker.

#92413  by SineSwiper
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:36 pm
Zeus wrote:Oh, that one rules too, but my fav of the series is the one in 82. There are a ton of good fights in that arc, especially near the end.
If only because of one technique. I liked 85, since tables turn at that point.

#92422  by Eric
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:23 pm
One of us! One of us!

#92425  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:27 pm
kill the pig slit it's throat bash it in........

just to ask, at what point do the OVA's come in. are they sort of solo side stories or do they fall at a point in the actual show timeline......or are they like the DBZ ones that really fit nowhere and just stood alone?

#92429  by Zeus
 Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:36 am
Derithian wrote:kill the pig slit it's throat bash it in........

just to ask, at what point do the OVA's come in. are they sort of solo side stories or do they fall at a point in the actual show timeline......or are they like the DBZ ones that really fit nowhere and just stood alone?
The first Jump Festa comes before the Chuunin exam, the second after (I actually think it's inbetween the third prelim and third parts of the Chuunin, but the others can clairfy that). They're side stories, so they don't fit into the actual plot development at all, same with the movie (falls a little after Jump Festa 2). I'm pretty sure all specials and movies of all anime are like that. It's just a matter of the techniques, experiences, and knowledge of the characters at that time that dates them timeline-wise.

#92471  by Oracle
 Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:34 am
Wtf, the only ones? I can't watch this shit

#92491  by SineSwiper
 Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:55 pm
Oracle wrote:Wtf, the only ones? I can't watch this shit
Huh? I'd suggest watching the first "arc" up to around ep. 15 or so. If you're not enjoying it by ep. 8, you'll probably never enjoy it.

#92497  by Derithian
 Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:37 pm
I dunno. I didn't really like it at the start. I gave it the whole first arc and enjoyed it but seing that bastard run through a crowd with a knife in his mouth addicted me

#92515  by Zeus
 Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:46 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Oracle wrote:Wtf, the only ones? I can't watch this shit
Huh? I'd suggest watching the first "arc" up to around ep. 15 or so. If you're not enjoying it by ep. 8, you'll probably never enjoy it.
Is that when the second fight occurs? I thought that ended around ep 20. I think if most poeple saw the second fight and didn't like it by then, they won't like it. That was one of my fav fights of the series

#92586  by Oracle
 Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:12 pm
I have a buddy who is religiously into this shit, so I see a fair amount of it. I usually retreat to my computer when he's watching it... I used to be into anime and stuff, but there really is very little originality anymore. Just not a fan of this "genre" of anime I suppose.

#92592  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:30 pm
Oracle wrote:I have a buddy who is religiously into this shit, so I see a fair amount of it. I usually retreat to my computer when he's watching it... I used to be into anime and stuff, but there really is very little originality anymore. Just not a fan of this "genre" of anime I suppose.
Me neither. As is well documented, I despised DBZ, which Naruto is often erroneously compared to, and never got into any of the other TV animes, just the occasional movie. This one is different. It's got real depth to the characters and, until recently, so much stuff happens all the time, it's great. Give it a shot for 20 eps sometime, you might change your mind.

#92672  by Ishamael
 Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:38 am
You hate DBZ and like Naruto? I tried watching an episode of Naruto on CN. I just...don't get it. Admitedly though, I've only watched one episode of Naruto.

DBZ has its faults, but it has a pretty cool mix of comedy, action and just enough drama(yes...drama) to keep you interested and to keep the show fresh. For example, CN is showing the Frieza series now. When the Ginyu Force shows up, it's hillarious. When these 5 fools go through this intricate song and dance routine to introduce themselves, Frieza just...stares. He's embarassed *for* them. Then these idiots just sit their straining, holding their poses until Frieza tells them to ease up. DBZ has all kinds of little moments like this that elevate to a higher level than people give it credit for.

#92673  by Derithian
 Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:59 am
Ishamael wrote:You hate DBZ and like Naruto? I tried watching an episode of Naruto on CN. I just...don't get it. Admitedly though, I've only watched one episode of Naruto.

DBZ has its faults, but it has a pretty cool mix of comedy, action and just enough drama(yes...drama) to keep you interested and to keep the show fresh. For example, CN is showing the Frieza series now. When the Ginyu Force shows up, it's hillarious. When these 5 fools go through this intricate song and dance routine to introduce themselves, Frieza just...stares. He's embarassed *for* them. Then these idiots just sit their straining, holding their poses until Frieza tells them to ease up. DBZ has all kinds of little moments like this that elevate to a higher level than people give it credit for.
yes but naruto has that as well. the perverted hermit episodes are just hilairtious.....

#92678  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:32 am
Ishamael wrote:You hate DBZ and like Naruto? I tried watching an episode of Naruto on CN. I just...don't get it. Admitedly though, I've only watched one episode of Naruto.

I watched about 4 or 5 eps part way through DBZ with my buds one night. They gave me the heads up on what was going on, but that wasn't it. I just didn't care for the pacing or direction of the story. THere was some fight with one of the guys and the main character and all they did for 5 episodes was talk. Oh, every two eps or something they would actually do a move. It was just dull. And every once in a while I'd watch part of an ep with them and same thing. I think they were all duirng the Frieza saga.

Naruto, like any anime, takes about 10 eps to get moving. That's one thing I don't like about the anime shows, they take a while. Even Full Metal Alchemist took that long and it was only 51 eps. If you want to give it a shot, watch the first 20. If you don't like it by then, you won't like it at all. It just takes that long to figure out what's the show's about.

#92708  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:34 am
Zeus wrote:I watched about 4 or 5 eps part way through DBZ with my buds one night. They gave me the heads up on what was going on, but that wasn't it. I just didn't care for the pacing or direction of the story. THere was some fight with one of the guys and the main character and all they did for 5 episodes was talk. Oh, every two eps or something they would actually do a move. It was just dull. And every once in a while I'd watch part of an ep with them and same thing. I think they were all duirng the Frieza saga.

Naruto, like any anime, takes about 10 eps to get moving. That's one thing I don't like about the anime shows, they take a while. Even Full Metal Alchemist took that long and it was only 51 eps. If you want to give it a shot, watch the first 20. If you don't like it by then, you won't like it at all. It just takes that long to figure out what's the show's about.
So you admit that Naruto takes about 10-20 eps to get going, yet you watch 5 eps of DBZ? And then you make a joke about the incredibly slow pace of the fight scenes? Maybe you should re-watch the first story arc of Naruto? Between the 5 minutes of recap every episode, constant talking and backstory, and the slow paced fight scenes, you can draw a lot of similarities with DBZ.

Shit, if you're going to make comparisons like that, at least eat your own dog food.

#92711  by Ishamael
 Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:47 pm
Eh, I'll give it another shot. Perhaps sadly, I'll watch 10-20 episodes of anything at least once.

#92713  by Tortolia
 Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:06 pm
Naruto's initial arc runs pretty much up through episode 20, and is kinda slow. It does get much better afterwards.

#92715  by Zeus
 Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:58 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:I watched about 4 or 5 eps part way through DBZ with my buds one night. They gave me the heads up on what was going on, but that wasn't it. I just didn't care for the pacing or direction of the story. THere was some fight with one of the guys and the main character and all they did for 5 episodes was talk. Oh, every two eps or something they would actually do a move. It was just dull. And every once in a while I'd watch part of an ep with them and same thing. I think they were all duirng the Frieza saga.

So you admit that Naruto takes about 10-20 eps to get going, yet you watch 5 eps of DBZ? And then you make a joke about the incredibly slow pace of the fight scenes? Maybe you should re-watch the first story arc of Naruto? Between the 5 minutes of recap every episode, constant talking and backstory, and the slow paced fight scenes, you can draw a lot of similarities with DBZ.

Shit, if you're going to make comparisons like that, at least eat your own dog food.
Difference is, I watched it a lot of eps in, not right at the beginning. If you tell someone to watch Naruto during the Chuunin third exam prelims or the Sarutobi-Orochimaru fight, I'd say give it 2 eps and if you don't like it, don't bother. But he's starting at the beginning.

And those were the only FULL eps of DBZ I saw. They had it on A LOT when I went over and saw enough bits and pieces on top of the full eps I saw to know there was little reason for me to keep watching.

Keep in mind, this is my opinion of the show. I really wanted to watch it and was disappointed by what I saw. Apparently, those Frieza eps I saw were supposed to be among the better of the eps as well.

#92717  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:16 pm
Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the Freiza period. I thought the Cell and Buu sagas had a lot more depth in both the fight scenes and characters, especially my boy Vegeta.

#92768  by Zeus
 Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:57 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the Freiza period. I thought the Cell and Buu sagas had a lot more depth in both the fight scenes and characters, especially my boy Vegeta.
Maybe one of these days I'll try the first 10 eps again, to give it another chance. I'm sure my friends have them somewhere.