The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• South Park Movie on Comedy Central?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #93226  by Flip
 Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:00 pm
It was on late late night, but they played it and without cutting anything (like you even could). It felt funny to be listening to f bomb after f bomb on a network cable channel. Didnt think they did that nowadays.

#93227  by Nev
 Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:07 pm
Can't they pretty much say whatever they want as long as it's cable?

#93229  by Torgo
 Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:30 pm
Yep. All part of Comedy Central's Secret Stash, where they show uncut and unedited programs on Saturday nights. They've been doing this for about a year now. They've also shown Clerks, Chris Rock: Bigger and Blacker, The Big Lebowski, and lots of others.

Nothing too special about it if you've already seen the movie or standup special before. It's like video with commercials.

#93230  by Flip
 Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:53 pm
Mental wrote:Can't they pretty much say whatever they want as long as it's cable?
Even regular cable is hesitant to cross the line. HBO and the preium-must-pay-for channels do whatever they want.

#93232  by Nev
 Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:10 pm
Well, I just meant in terms of legal repercussions. Is cable bound by the same regulations as broadcast, and are the pay-per-view channels different again from regular cable?

#93234  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:39 am
Comedy Central seems to be the only network doing this sort of thing. I remember when they did the South Park "shit" episode at 10PM. I think they figured that kids should be in bed at that time, and if the FCC bitched about it, they would take it to court.

It actually takes a complaint to the FCC before they look at anything. For example, the Daily Show accidently let the word "fuck" go uncensored on one of their shows. The next day, Jon was ranting about how nobody got a complaint about it at all.

#93238  by Nev
 Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:38 am
I know there's a list of words you can't say on broadcast network TV, and probably imagery that can't be shown either, but I was curious whether or not the rules are the same on cable.

#93247  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:37 pm