The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Questionaire: What movies made you cry? possible spoilers?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #94039  by Shellie
 Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:06 pm
Macho BS aside...what movie(s) have made you cry? :'(

Me: a lot ( fuck you Im a girl :P )

My Girl - at the end "where's his glasses? He cant see without his glasses!"
not a movie but the last episode of Six Feet Under
The Last Samurai
Monster, Inc. - "Kitty?"
Grave of the Fireflies - not only did I cry..I wanted to kill myself after watching it
All Dogs go to Heaven - I bawled at the end
Dumbo - When he goes to visit his mom when she's locked up and she rocks him to sleep with her trunk
I am Sam

soo many more....

#94044  by Torgo
 Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:23 pm
These made me fight tears.

Movies

Return of the Jedi - If the prequels did anything right, it's that they made Vader's redemption more meaningful.
Return of the King - The scene where the Riders of Rohan show up at Gondor. Theoden's speech really got me misty eyed for some reason.
Grave of Fireflies - You know of what I speak.

TV shows

Futurama - "The Luck of the Fryish" and "Jurassic Bark", the episodes where it's revealed that Fry had a brother and a dog, respectively.
Cowboy Bebop -the last episode
David the Gnome - Just found the last episode recently. The one where David dies. Well, becomes "one with nature" or some crap like that. It was like a part of my childhood dying.

#94046  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:35 pm
Braveheart, the very last scene: "In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland starving and outnumbered charged the fields of Banockburn. They fought like Warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen, and won their freedom."

I also think perhaps Friday the 13th when I was like 3 =)

#94051  by Chris
 Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:33 pm
grave of fireflies.
Shawshank Redemption
Shindlers list

#94055  by SineSwiper
 Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:41 pm
Probably couldn't count. I'm an emotional person. Just about anything with a combination of good emotional impact on the plot and good music.

#94057  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:10 am
Titanic
Neon Genesis Evangelion (2-3 times during the Toji stories and Misato's breakdown)
Neon Genesis Evangelion - End of Evangelion
RahXephon episode 18 I think, it was the diary episode
Pay It Forward
Garden State
Lost in Translation
Battlestar Galactica - "33"

That's all I remember for now.

#94086  by Blotus
 Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:47 pm
A few, but I can never remember.

Most recently was the episode of 24 (2nd season) where Jack has to say goodbye to Kim over the phone while flying a nuke into the desert. Not bawling, but y'know... sniffles.

#94089  by kali o.
 Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:56 pm
Sup, Homeward Bound, didn't seem like the old fella was coming over the hill...

Ya, fuck you all.

Umm..other than that, I think Playing it By Heart teared me up, and Kissing a Fool, but that was a while ago. Who knows, stuff tugs you different ways at different times/ages. I got a big issue issue with hospitals, sickness and death this last year, so every other episode of House makes me watery now.

#94090  by Agent 57
 Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:02 pm
Disney stuff; Fox and the Hound, Beauty and the Beast...

Finding Nemo...

TMNT: The Movie; bonfire scene...

Forrest Gump; "you died on a Saturday morning"...

Simpsons episodes; the one where Homer thought he was dying, and Bart & Lisa's hockey game gets me every time...

Cool Runnings; when they're carrying the bobsled over the finish line...

Rurouni Kenshin; the last episode before "Legend of Kyoto"...

Video games; FFVII, end of Disc 1...ending of MGS3...

Half-Blood Prince (not a movie, but whatever)...

and finally, the movie that I think gets me more than any other, "Snoopy Come Home". (I remember the last time I was thinking about this sort of thing, just going to the <i>IMDB page</i> for SCH started me going. Thank goodness I haven't seen it in 15+ years.)

Oh, and by the way, I don't think I remember crying at Grave of the Fireflies because I was too fucking depressed to cry.

#94095  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:12 am
Agent 57 wrote:Video games; FFVII, end of Disc 1...ending of MGS3...
Heh, one videogame got to me before; FF8's ending always gets me somehow, during multiple parts. Most notably the final Laguna scene.

Although, I might have cried the first time I played Resident Evil as well =P

#94104  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:15 am
Well, no actual crying, but fighting back tears during the following:

- Owen Hart's and Eddie Guerrero's tributes. Something about watching these huge wrestlers not being able to contain themselves that gets to you. The Big Shmoe looked like a child who got his candy stolen

- Titanic, near the end when she realized Jack was dead. Then that turned to elation when I saw Leonardo DiFaggio's body go down into the water :-)

- Grave of the Fireflies, easily the most emotional anime I've ever seen. My wife was balling throughout the whole thing. She loves it but can't watch it again.

- a few Disney movies, Lion King in particular

- Forget Paris, near the end when she leaves him. That's probably the best romantic comedy no one ever saw IMO

- Bicentennial Man, when Andrew dies at the end. Yet another one of my fav movies that most people hate

- Forrest Gump, when Jenny died and Forrest couldn't contain himself. Something about this epic films (like the previous one) that, if done well, can get you emotional.

- the last episode of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, right at the end when he got that 10 minute standing ovation. He could hardly contain himself as well

- the second season of 24 when Jack told Kim goodbye. That was a pretty good moment, particularly for a show based on action and plot

- many times during Six Feet Under, can't remember them all, but including the end of the last ep, which is one of the best epilogues I've ever seen, show or movie. That show is all about the characters and if you get into it, it can really play with your emotions.

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head

#94105  by Shellie
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:22 am
Oh most recently... Ep 11 of Rome: "13!...13!"

#94109  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:29 am
<b>Braveheart</b>: During the execution, after everyone starts yelling "Mercy!" and the Irish guy says "Jesus man, say it." Just listening to the score from that movie can put me in a somber mood; it is beautiful music.

<b>Forest Gump</b>: Same as others have said, when Forest is at Jenny's grave.

<b>October Sky</b>: Has anyone else here seen this movie? It's quite good. Homer Hickum went to the same place I did as an undergrad (Virginia Tech).

<b>The Abyss</b>: When Lindesy is talking to Virgil during the deep dive at the end. He's saying goodbye and she keeps telling him to try to come back and that he can't leave her alone now.

<b>Good Will Hunting</b>: I had to fight it back during the "It's not your fault scene." I think part of that is that you're not expecting it. The direction of the scene turns quickly, and both Robin Williams and Matt Damon do an excellent job.

<b>Return of the King</b>: "My friends! You bow to no one." It's powerful when an entire kingdom bows down to four Hobbits.

#94114  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:57 pm
Kupek wrote:<b>Braveheart</b>: During the execution, after everyone starts yelling "Mercy!" and the Irish guy says "Jesus man, say it." Just listening to the score from that movie can put me in a somber mood; it is beautiful music.

<b>Forest Gump</b>: Same as others have said, when Forest is at Jenny's grave.

<b>October Sky</b>: Has anyone else here seen this movie? It's quite good. Homer Hickum went to the same place I did as an undergrad (Virginia Tech).

<b>The Abyss</b>: When Lindesy is talking to Virgil during the deep dive at the end. He's saying goodbye and she keeps telling him to try to come back and that he can't leave her alone now.

<b>Good Will Hunting</b>: I had to fight it back during the "It's not your fault scene." I think part of that is that you're not expecting it. The direction of the scene turns quickly, and both Robin Williams and Matt Damon do an excellent job.

<b>Return of the King</b>: "My friends! You bow to no one." It's powerful when an entire kingdom bows down to four Hobbits.
Yeah, I forgot about the Return of the King and Abyss moments. Those were pretty powerful too. In Abyss, even when Lindsay is "dead" and he's draggin' her through the water to the station, that was pretty strong too.

#94115  by Lox
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:57 pm
It takes a lot for me to cry at a movie but there were a few that got me.

Passion of the Christ - pretty much the whole movie got to me
Braveheart - the end of course
The Patriot - the scene where the villagers are burned in the church and then his son finds out
Forrest Gump - the stuff with Jenny dying got to me
Lion King-mu-----fasa!

That's all I really remember.

#94118  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:43 pm
Zeus wrote:In Abyss, even when Lindsay is "dead" and he's draggin' her through the water to the station, that was pretty strong too.
That scene is intense. I forget that Ed Harris is acting.

#94120  by Shellie
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:52 pm
Is it bad that one of the scenes in that movie that I choked up on was when the one dude put his pet rat in a ziplock baggie so he wouldnt drown?

#94122  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:13 pm
There seem to be a few common themes here: Grave of the Fireflies, Forest Gump, Braveheart, Titanic, and The Lion King (Did I miss any?).

I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, but the other four are four of the most popular movies ever. We are a people who crave drama =)

#94123  by Shellie
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:26 pm

#94125  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:31 pm
Well, I am going to see the new Zorro movie now, I expect there will be more drama, and killing =)

#94129  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:08 pm
Nevermind, the new Zorro movie is a complete comedy

#94143  by SineSwiper
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:30 am
Zorro got bad reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, and it's usually accurate.

#94144  by Kupek
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:40 am
Zorro got bad reviews from everyone, <i>and</i> the trailer looked stupid, <i>and</i> the first one was horrible.

#94146  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:11 am
Kupek wrote:Zorro got bad reviews from everyone, <i>and</i> the trailer looked stupid, <i>and</i> the first one was horrible.
Yeah, that sounds quite accurate to my experience, it isn't a movie I ever want to see again. The plot was VERY cliche and reminded me of a cross between the sequel of a chick flick and Wild Wild West. The plot is also incredibly inconsistent with the original and the historical accuracy.

At least I could make numerous sarcastic and humerous remarks throughout the movie =)

#94151  by Zeus
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:41 am
Lox wrote: Passion of the Christ - pretty much the whole movie got to me
Yeah, me too. I took my wife to see it and I was crying the entire time 'cause I couldn't leave. The pain of watching such a piece of crap was SEVERE O:)

#94152  by Zeus
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:42 am
Seraphina wrote:Is it bad that one of the scenes in that movie that I choked up on was when the one dude put his pet rat in a ziplock baggie so he wouldnt drown?
No, not really. Some animals deserve love much more than people :azn:

#94154  by Lox
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:04 am
Zeus wrote:
Lox wrote: Passion of the Christ - pretty much the whole movie got to me
Yeah, me too. I took my wife to see it and I was crying the entire time 'cause I couldn't leave. The pain of watching such a piece of crap was SEVERE O:)
Phew...for a second I thought you were going to agree with me, which would mean that I definitely had no idea what I was talking about. But, now I know I'm right! ;)

#94157  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:39 am
Why watch Passion of the Christ when there's that scene in A Clockwork Orange? The one where Alex is imagining himself as a Roman torturing Jesus.

#94160  by Lox
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:07 am
The Seeker wrote:Why watch Passion of the Christ when there's that scene in A Clockwork Orange? The one where Alex is imagining himself as a Roman torturing Jesus.
Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry.

#94163  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:54 am
Lox wrote:
The Seeker wrote:Why watch Passion of the Christ when there's that scene in A Clockwork Orange? The one where Alex is imagining himself as a Roman torturing Jesus.
Do you want to fight? Or to drink Coors Light.

#94164  by Lox
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:12 am
The Seeker wrote:
Lox wrote:
So drink-o on Cinco de Mayo!
Have a Corolla on Cinco de Mayo!
Something something...bayou.
Corolla Extra or Corolla Light
It'll go down easy, it'll go down smooth.
So have an extra drink-o tonight.
And drink-o on Cinco de Mayo!

#94165  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:21 am
Lox wrote:
The Seeker wrote:
Lox wrote: Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry.
Beer beer beer bubba of beer beer beer
Oh when we get together, just me and all the lads,
Everyone remembers all the fun we have
'cause when we get together there's plenty of good cheer
(Imagine finding someone else's piano)
That calls for a bubba of beer! beer beer bubba of beer beer beer...

#94167  by Lox
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:29 pm
The Seeker wrote:
Lox wrote:
The Seeker wrote: Do you want to fight? Or to drink Coors Light.
Beer beer beer bubba of beer beer beer
Oh when we get together, just me and all the lads,
Everyone remembers all the fun we have
'cause when we get together there's plenty of good cheer
(Imagine finding someone else's piano)
That calls for a bubba of beer! beer beer bubba of beer beer beer...
Schmidt's Gay Beer...ALL RIGHT!

#94171  by Zeus
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:53 pm
Why watch The Boredom: Dear Christ! when there's The Last Temptation of Christ?

#94175  by Shellie
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:21 pm

#94177  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:16 pm
Hey, what can I say! We hijackers like this thread? =)

#94182  by Flip
 Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:15 pm
I get choked up a lot from dramas and the like, but hardly ever fully cry. The last one i can remember that hit me hard, though, was Wit with Emma Thompson.

#94320  by Agent 57
 Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:05 am
You know, when I load up Sinfest, I'm usually expecting some sort of tawdry joke - either Slick hitting on some girl and failing, Monique teasing somebody, Squigley abusing substances, etc., etc.

However, when I saw today's comic with poor, naive Pooch berating himself and his own limitations for the "loss" of his friend...wow. I never thought a webcomic - one intended for humor at that - could be that heartbreaking.

#94323  by Kupek
 Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:31 am
He does that every now and then. I can think of a few offhand - mostly from the earlier days - that are poignant. (One is actually from basically the same situation.)

#94346  by Torgo
 Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:37 pm
Agent 57 wrote: Simpsons episodes; the one where Homer thought he was dying, and Bart & Lisa's hockey game gets me every time...
I saw the hockey episode recently. I had forgotten how touching it was.

#94425  by Kitch
 Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:15 pm
Serenity - pretty much the whole end of the film.

Gladiator - Derek Jacobi's "who will carry him?"

Watership Down - bunnies, Simon and Garfunkle, guaranteed.

Truly, Madly, Deeply - the whole movie's either dull, or a complete wrencher, depending on your personal experience.

FFVII - that Disc 2 scene...

Crouching Tiger - Yu Shu Lien's declarations to Li Mu Bai at the end.

The Simpsons - was on the other day, and it's the one where they remenisce about Marge first getting pregnant with Maggie. Homer has quit his job for a dream one at the bowling alley, but has to go back for the money to support new family stuff. Burns puts up a plaque saying "Don't forget you're here forever" and at the end it shows the plaque with Maggie pictures strategically stuck on it leaving only the words "Do it for her"

heh... that's set me off again now... :cry: