The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• What are you listening to this December 2005?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #94729  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:09 pm
Well, I am not really into too much newer music right now (there's only one song from this year, and like three from this decade).

1) Strange Days - The Doors
2) Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
3) How Soon Is Now (Smiths/Morrisey Cover) - Tatu
4) Cosmos - Tatu
5) Like a Prayer - Madonna
6) Rapture - Blondie
7) Heart of Glass - Blondie
8) Come Undone - Duran Duran
9) A View to a Kill - Duran Duran
10) Magic - Olivia Newton John
11) Walk With Me - Joe Budden
12) Ain't Nothing but a G thang - Dre/Snoop
13) Venus - Bananarama
14) I heard a Rumour - Bananarama
15) All Eyes on Me - Tupac
16) With or Without You - U2

Also a lot of German, Russian, Greek, and other European music, but I don't expect anyone here has heard of any of it before. A lot of what I have listed above has been on my previous lists.
 #94730  by Nev
 Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:59 pm
The Seeker wrote: 12) Ain't Nothing but a G thang - Dre/Snoop
13) Venus - Bananarama
If I put those two songs next to each other on a playlist, my brain would shut itself off in protest. I don't know how you do it.

Anyway, my favorite right now is some new electronica I've got...my business partner introduced me to some remixes he's done of other techno songs, and I'm just hooked. I'm not quite sure how to deal with a situation where my business partner is also my favorite recording artist, especially when we're a bit at each other right now because of business stuff. Been listening to newer Deep Forest albums that never really made it stateside, as well.

Other than that...lot of hip-hop. Some of Gorillaz' Demon Days, a bit of Kanye West's new album, some of Common's Be album, and a lot of a Bone-Thugs-N'-Harmony Greatest Hits album. Though, to be fair about my own musical juxtapositions of non-similar styles, a lot of 80's hits have been on my playlist too. "Come On Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners, "Toy Soldiers" by Martika, "St. Elmo's Fire: Man In Motion" by John Parr, and "We Built This City" by Starship are all seeing play on K-ASSHAT FM - "All the songs Drew likes, all the time."

#94734  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:14 am
Really? I find that Ain't Nothing but a G Thang usually fits in just about anywhere. The songs are actually spaced out a bit on my list, it's just that my list is 60% Euro-pop that no one here has ever heard of.

#94787  by SineSwiper
 Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:55 pm
Random thought: Snake River Conspiracy did a cover for How Soon is Now. I thought that was from The Beatles, though.

Also, I have no quams with listening to White Zombie and Fiona Apple within the same hour. However, I'm not a single-song type of guy, so I would be listening to the albums.

Another random thought: People are Strange is my favorite Doors song.

#94796  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:33 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Another random thought: People are Strange is my favorite Doors song.
Yeah, that's one of my favourites as well. It's on the album Strange Days as well, very good album; and one that I would always recommend, even today, 40 years later.

#95052  by Nev
 Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:07 am
Update to this...

I've continued playing with some professional sequencers - FL Studio 6 and Ableton Live - and anyone who's interested in techno ought to download the FL Studio demo and listen to "Nowhere Near" by Blake Reary, which is one of the sample tracks offered IN FL Studio format. It is just amazing. I listened to it literally twenty times the first day I got it, and am still not sick of it.

I'll put the song up on my webserver if anyone likes, since I'm not aware of any DRM on it. He includes two other tracks in FLS 6, as well, which didn't blow me away like "Nowhere Near", but are very good.

#95054  by Blotus
 Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:24 pm
Final Fantasty IV Piano Collection
SoaD- Toxicity
Damien Rice- O
The couple fighting next door

#95060  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:33 pm
All 47 songs in Guitar Hero :-)

#95062  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:44 pm
Lustra - Scotty Doesn't Know =)

#95063  by Nev
 Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:49 pm
Black Lotus wrote:The couple fighting next door
I love that track!

Admittedly, actually, I've *been* that track more often than I've heard it lately, however.