The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Silent Hill

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #97391  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:40 pm
Black Lotus wrote:I haven't been this excited for a movie since Serenity. I'm all over this like Ish on a pre-op Star Jones. Just in case you haven't seen the trailer yet, do so now!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/silenthill/
What a burn Ish, are you going to take that just like the rash you got after that night of passion?

#97392  by Torgo
 Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:43 pm
I'm stoked. I was starting to get a little worried because they seem to be marketing it as another scary little girl horror movie. Then I saw some kick ass leaked footage and now I'm all excited again. I really shouldn't hype it up so much, but I can't help it. Five more days...

#97395  by Zeus
 Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:45 pm
I just saw Brotherhood of the Wolf a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I have a little more faith now that Gans won't screw it up. He's a self-proclaimed fan of the series, so there's a better chance we'll see much more of the essence of the game in the movie unlike a lot of other game-to-movie translations *cough*Doom*cough*
 #97396  by Nev
 Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:09 pm
Black Lotus wrote:I haven't been this excited for a movie since Serenity. I'm all over this like Ish on a pre-op Star Jones.
Wait, wait...you're all over this like you'd be all over Ish who was already on top of a pre-op Star Jones?

Sheesh, man. I mean, the foulest, most disgusting sex partner on the face of Planet Earth...and Star Jones?

What is the world coming to these days?
 #97398  by Ishamael
 Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:09 pm
Barret wrote:
Black Lotus wrote:I haven't been this excited for a movie since Serenity. I'm all over this like Ish on a pre-op Star Jones. Just in case you haven't seen the trailer yet, do so now!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/silenthill/
What a burn Ish, are you going to take that just like the rash you got after that night of passion?
I think my penis will be able to handle this a bit better, so I don't think it'll be quite the same.

I did love Brotherhood of the Wolf though...totally underrated film.

#97430  by Nev
 Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:50 pm
Ish, that was about the best burn I've managed to achieve on you, and you don't even do me the courtesy of acknowledging it?

I swear, I am going to find a way to turn every one of your posts into a message saying "I fellate long dong donkeys" unless you at least try to burn me back.

#97592  by Torgo
 Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:19 am
Saw it this morning. I'll just say for now that it is the best movie adaptation of a game ever. It's not perfect, but there's so much respect to the source material that it wins on that aspect alone.

#97648  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:19 am
Hey, I liked Doom. For the first time, the producers went out to make a fun game movie without spoiling it with some incredibly corny bullshit (Super Mario Brothers, Street Fighter The Movie, etc., etc.)

Yeah, I really want to see Silent Hill, though it'll probably be tomorrow. Gotta go see Thunder Over Louisville tonight, because we won some tickets to a good view at the company tent.

#97661  by Blotus
 Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:38 pm
I'm with Torgo here. Not as good as I had hoped, but true to the games and the best videogame movie yet. I probably would have enjoyed it more had so many people not been chatting during the scenes without dialogue, or laughing at Pyramid Head (assholes, he's fuckin Pyramid Head, bitch!). Nobody was laughing when PH......

Spoil this

...Skinned that bitch alive...

My girlfriend hated it. I know at least half the people in the theatre did too. It seems you really have to draw your own conclusions as to what's going on when it's all over, and I don't think many people bothered to.

It was nice that they used "You're Not Here" (intro song from SH3) for the credits. I was really hoping they would.

#97662  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:05 pm
I haven't seen it yet so I'll save judgement until then; but so far I have heard two words to describe the movie (aside from online sources) and those words are "horrible" and "terrible." So I'm probably not going to rush out and see it unless it's for free. Sometimes I really love movies that are seen as "horrible" and "terrible" by many; Dog soliders anyone? =P

Anyways, I did notice that the movie was made in Toronto; it looks like Toronto is officially the capital for the recording of survival and horror flicks.

#97663  by Ishamael
 Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:49 pm
Nev wrote:Ish, that was about the best burn I've managed to achieve on you, and you don't even do me the courtesy of acknowledging it?

I swear, I am going to find a way to turn every one of your posts into a message saying "I fellate long dong donkeys" unless you at least try to burn me back.
I apologize. Well done, old boy. Clearly an oversight on my part. :)

#97666  by Zeus
 Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:27 am
Yeah, I loved how close it was to the game in terms of atmosphere, locales, and look but the ending was a little weird. I didn't mind how they got there just didn't like the execution overly. Still a pretty fun movie.

#97672  by Ishamael
 Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:47 am
Sucked ass.

#97675  by Zeus
 Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:05 am
Ishamael wrote:Sucked ass.
Just once post a real review instead of simply saying the opposite of what I say, will ya? :-)

#97677  by Torgo
 Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:31 am
Enough about your preferred method of stimulation. So what'd you think of the movie?

#97678  by Nev
 Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:14 pm
Torgo wrote:
Enough about your preferred method of stimulation. So what'd you think of the movie?
Ooooooooooooohhhh, BURN!

#97680  by Ishamael
 Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:04 pm
Nev wrote:
Torgo wrote:
Ooooooooooooohhhh, BURN!
Damn you both!

#97681  by Ishamael
 Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:09 pm
Zeus wrote:
Just once post a real review instead of simply saying the opposite of what I say, will ya? :-)
LOL! It's a time saving mechanism. It's much easier than coming up with coherent thoughts of my own.:)

Anyway, everyone can probably guess what I'm gonna say - the movie looked good, but everything else about it sucked...or was laugh out loud funny, depending on your perspective. For some reason though, I don't think the director was going for laugh out loud funny, so that leaves us with "sucked". ;)

#97695  by Oracle
 Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:23 am
Overall I enkoyed the movie. It seemed kind of clumsy in areas, but the atmosphere was great. My girlfriend really liked it too, and she's never even played the games. It's just kind of a brain fuck, which can be fun if done right, and I think it was in this case.

#97697  by kali o.
 Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:00 am
Uhhh...that movie sucked (ass). I'm baffled that some of you liked it.

The movie theater was filled with one embarrassing chuckle after another.

Probably the only good thing in that movie was the "skin rip-off".

#97709  by Torgo
 Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:54 pm
Ishamael wrote: Anyway, everyone can probably guess what I'm gonna say - the movie looked good, but everything else about it sucked...or was laugh out loud funny, depending on your perspective. For some reason though, I don't think the director was going for laugh out loud funny, so that leaves us with "sucked". ;)
I can understand why people hate it. The plot was mediocre and the script was terrible. It's hard to believe that this was written but the guy who contributed to Pulp Fiction. However, I was never really a fan of SH1's story or acting (which in comparison automatically gurantees an Oscar for everyone who had even the smallest bit part in the movie), so I didn't keep my hopes up in those regards.

However, what I'm impressed about is how true the movie is to the games. Usually when there's a movie based on a game, it gets changed so much for mass market appeal. Here, we actually have a fan of the game making a movie for fans. This doesn't guarantee a great movie, but Gans at least succeeded in recreating the series' atomosphere. The angles used, the music lifted from the games, and the nearly shot for shot recration of SH1's intro tell me that his heart's in the right place(the cuts to the husband's scenes kinda broke the tension, though). I also liked how the monsters were used, espcailly PH and the Janitor. Even though some of them were pulled from different games, they had some significance in the film. And the Janitor, which created specifically for the movie, fit in very well with the rest of the group and could have easily been from the games.

That said, if this movie does well enough to warrant a sequel, I wouldn't mind if Gans hires a new writer, disregards everything about this movie, and starts on a side story based on SH2.

#97712  by Nev
 Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:43 pm
Righty oh.

I can't stand horrendous scripts - just can't stand them - so, looks like this won't be the film to break my long streak of not seeing any game-based movies.

(settles in for the wait for the Metal Gear Solid flick)

#97735  by Nev
 Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:31 pm
bovine wrote:
Nev wrote:Righty oh.

I can't stand horrendous scripts - just can't stand them - so, looks like this won't be the film to break my long streak of not seeing any game-based movies.

(settles in for the wait for the Metal Gear Solid flick)
you didn't even see mortal kombat? I even went to see that at the theatre.... you have to have seen it. It had that Face to Face song in it.... and it was a crazy techno remix of it... I didn't even know that punk songs could be remixed until that point.
I spent about two hours looking for the Penny Arcade strip where they talk about all the video game movies, then gave it up, and cursed again the day that they switched to Ruby On Rails and completely broke the search functionality. Perhaps some kind soul who remembers where it is will link it for me.

Suffice it to say...

Gabe: "And who could forget The Wizard? With Sir Frederick of Savage?"
Tycho: "*I* could forget it."

Re:

#97739  by Anid Maro
 Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:11 pm
I'm kind of excited for the movie myself, to be honest. I've heard good reviews thusfar.

Besides, when watching my friend play through the games, I remember thinking "I don't really want to play this game, but I'd watch it if it were a movie."

#97770  by Chris
 Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:33 am
Torgo wrote:

sorry I've been looking for an excuse to use that all day....

#98408  by SineSwiper
 Sun May 14, 2006 10:46 am
I really liked the movie. The plot/atmosphere was pretty slick and it kept you wondering what was going on until the very end. The only cons to the movie was that the pacing was slow some of the time, and the music should have been remixed from the original PS game (old technology music didn't really fit).

I never played any of the Silent Hill games, so it's not like I liked it because of what was from the games. I guess it's one of those movies that you either love or hate.