The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Original Trilogy on DVD - for real this time!

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #98128  by Agent 57
 Thu May 04, 2006 9:02 am
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/rele ... 60503.html
In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film.
Emphasis mine.

We'll finally be able to have DVD versions of Han shooting first, the special effects will look uniform throughout the entire movies, and Hayden Christiansen will be nowhere in sight. Phew!

#98140  by Nev
 Thu May 04, 2006 1:44 pm
I think Lucas is one of those filmmakers who has visions of brilliance, but often lacks the ability to carry them out himself.

For the early part of his career, he had to work with other people, so the combination of his vision and everyone else's creative input propelled Star Wars to the level of (as Penny Arcade says) "accidental masterpiece".

By the later part, he was rich and successful and could afford to impose his pure vision on the series, which, not surprisingly, didn't live up to the originals (especially Episode IV). Episode III was pretty, yes, but it had enough horrendous acting in it for me to disregard it as canon...

#98143  by Julius Seeker
 Thu May 04, 2006 3:39 pm
I actually LIKED Episode III, and I hate Starwars =P

#98152  by Ishamael
 Thu May 04, 2006 7:29 pm
Nev wrote:I think Lucas is one of those filmmakers who has visions of brilliance, but often lacks the ability to carry them out himself.

For the early part of his career, he had to work with other people, so the combination of his vision and everyone else's creative input propelled Star Wars to the level of (as Penny Arcade says) "accidental masterpiece".

By the later part, he was rich and successful and could afford to impose his pure vision on the series, which, not surprisingly, didn't live up to the originals (especially Episode IV). Episode III was pretty, yes, but it had enough horrendous acting in it for me to disregard it as canon...
Accidental masterpiece? You referring to this? :)

I swing back and forth when it comes to Lucas. I think there is some truth to the criticisms. I certainly think he was lucky in the sense that he got all the elements together to create the Star Wars phenomenon at precicely the right moment.

But at the same time, I gotta give the guy *some* credit. He did have to put himself in the position to take advantage of this "luck" after all (getting there probably wasn't easy). I guess in the end, I think his success, like a lot of things, is attributable to bit of both luck and skill.

I think Lucas's skill would have enabled him to be a pretty successful millionaire director in Hollywood - however luck made him the gigantic billionaire monarch over the most prized franchise in Hollywood.

#98153  by Torgo
 Thu May 04, 2006 7:44 pm
Sweet! I can finally retire my VHS copies.

#98167  by Kupek
 Fri May 05, 2006 9:51 am
We've covered this ground before, but my take is that Luca is a good idea man. The prequels would have been much better if he had done what he did with Empire: let a good writer write the script, and a good director direct the movie.

#98170  by Nev
 Fri May 05, 2006 12:58 pm
Kupek wrote:We've covered this ground before, but my take is that Luca is a good idea man. The prequels would have been much better if he had done what he did with Empire: let a good writer write the script, and a good director direct the movie.
That sounds about right.