The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• random update on the manga I'm watching

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #100829  by Don
 Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:54 pm
Naruto

Apparently the difference between a genius and the bottom of the class is that Naruto just didn't try hard enough, like not trying 1000 times harder. People call it Naruto's version of the high gravity rooms, but it's actually more powerful than that since Goku only started at 10G while the Naruto's new training method has something to the effect of 1000+G. Yes I'm aware it doesn't affect your physical ability but physical ability is fairly unimportant in the world of Naruto, so it might as well just be able to train at 1000X the pace compared to anyone else. I guess the lesson of Naruto is that if you try hard enough, like 1000 times harder, you can overcome a genius who is only trying as hard as a normal person can possibly do.

Eyeshield 21

I'm not particularly fond of the power up fairy visits in the game against the Nagas, but it is probably necessary. The only part I thought that was good and made sense was how Hiruma lowered his 40 yard dash time by 0.1 seconds after an year of training (as opposed to Sena or Monta who can spontaneously get better on the order of seconds). Eyeshield 21 is now in what people call the curse of Slam Dunk, i.e. what the heck happens after you beat the most powerful team early. Are the Devil Bats going to blow out the Knights 100-0? That'd be the kind of score you expect for a team that, with their current strength, would be able to blow out the Nagas by a score of like 60-32 (their defense did not improve but their offense is better than the Nagas at the end of the Naga game). Of course this can't possibly be the way it turns out since Shin vs Sena is supposed to be a big deal, but that's the only way things can make sense when you consider the Nagas blow out the Knights without their best player. I think the author also forgot that the Knights absolutely has no offense.

Maybe they can pull a page from Slam Dunk and have 2 or 3 key players injuried (can't be Sena unlike SD) but unless Devilbats lose their entire wide receiver line, I think they'll handily trash the Knights. The Knights have no offense. Presumably Shin will be on Sena and no team has the people to cover Devil Bat's 3 wide receivers.

Inuyasha

I've long given up this series for dead, but it's actually turning kind of cool again. It seems like there might be resolution in site, or at least something beyond the bashing of monster of the day is happening.

#100832  by Flip
 Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:16 pm
Hmmm, the anime's i'm watching (i'm new to the scene so i'm hitting the classics)

Full Metal Alchemist:

Is pretty awesome. I'm at the part where Al gets a philosopher stone created inside him and Al and Edward's dad shows up. I wasnt a big fan of the Humuculi are reborn people who had failed alchemy attempted on them angle, but since they have gone to lengths to show that the Humuculi only look like the people and are not in fact the person themselves then i am ok with it, i suppose, for now. I knew their mom would come into play eventually, but didnt really like how.

Baki the Grappler:

Is fun to watch because, like most anime, there is a huge tournament. Since there isnt magic involved or anything like that in these fights the outcomes are hard to predict. It shows off many a popular fighting styles, event though i think a bunch of them are made up. The tournament part, which i think goes all the way to the end, has been more interesting than the beginning, i feel, although there were a few really good episodes that did some great character fleshing.

Cowboy Bebop:

Wow, this one is cool to watch. I love the music, they honestly did a perfect job meshing the two. I like how each episode is a story unto itself and there isnt really one drawn out storyline. The characters are good and the American voice acting is excellent. I'm only about 4 CD's into the collection, but am enjoying watching an episode or two inbetween my more serious storyline ones.

#100835  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:44 pm
I just bought the full series of Tenchi in Tokyo on DVD. Watching that one now. It is a highly critisized series, but mainly because of the story changes which fans think of as fundamentals; I just don't care, I like the story.

#100840  by Eric
 Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:33 pm
The Seeker wrote:I just bought the full series of Tenchi in Tokyo on DVD. Watching that one now. It is a highly critisized series, but mainly because of the story changes which fans think of as fundamentals; I just don't care, I like the story.
I personally thought TiT(Hehe) was goofy as hell.

#100841  by Don
 Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:42 pm
I didn't find any of the Tenchis to be particularly good or bad. The first OAVs might have better picture quality, but nothing else really stands out.

#100842  by Don
 Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:43 pm
Cowboy Bebop is one of the two Anime series I actually enjoyed watching. Everything about it is just so cool.

#101081  by Oracle
 Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:35 am
What.... the..... hell.
Don Wang wrote:Cowboy Bebop is one of the two Anime series I actually enjoyed watching. Everything about it is just so cool.
Is this a 100% positive post from Don Wang? You feeling ok buddy? :)

Edit: But your comment is well placed, Cowboy Bebop is probably THE anime that I enjoyed the most out of everything I've watched.

#101083  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:38 am
Don Wang wrote:I didn't find any of the Tenchis to be particularly good or bad. The first OAVs might have better picture quality, but nothing else really stands out.
Well, Tenchi OAV is broken up, the original OAV series, episode 1-6, is better than the rest of what I have seen of it. Also, the first movie is VERY good, the second one is like an extended episode of the series.
Eric wrote:
The Seeker wrote:I just bought the full series of Tenchi in Tokyo on DVD. Watching that one now. It is a highly critisized series, but mainly because of the story changes which fans think of as fundamentals; I just don't care, I like the story.
I personally thought TiT(Hehe) was goofy as hell.
Yep =)

#101086  by Don
 Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:28 pm
Well all the Tenchi stuff is pretty episodic and standalone. It might help if you know where Light Hawk Wings come from but it's really not necessary. You might say the first OAV series is better because there's actually some kind of point to it, while everything else pretty much makes no sense even when you put it together. The 2nd OAV series didn't even try to have an ending.

On the subject of Tenchi in Tokyo, I think it's lame that he let Yuugi live at the end, but I guess there's a universal law against killing cute Anime villians. Or, for that matter, against killing the cute villian in anything Japanese.