The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• After the Warming

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #122943  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:19 am
Since it's still relevant: After the Warming, a 1989 documentary on global warming, as told by a scientist in the year 2050. James Burke, the Connections guy, did this one, and it's even more relevant today. Some of the predictions are happening right now.

...except we're already 10 years behind on getting this fixed.

#122986  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:14 pm
Seriously, watch this. It's free, and it's not illegal to do so.

#122987  by M'k'n'zy
 Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:59 pm
I started to but I don't really have two hours to spare to watch the whole thing. I'll try to get it in sometime.

#122988  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:13 pm
I went ahead and watched it again. (I saw it when it first aired, and my parents watched it every other Earth Day or so.)

The predictions were a bit on the fast and extreme side, but they were still interesting. I didn't agree with their opinions of nuclear and beef, but maintaining "carbon rights" trades would be a good solution. (Also, they were right about more people "working from home", despite it being pre-Internet.) I wish somebody could make an updated version of this documentary.

As it is now, we're experiencing some of the hottest and worst weather ever, conflicts in the Middle East, ever increasing oil prices, and tsunamis/hurricanes causing refugee problems (both home and abroad). A lot of the bad predictions are coming true, without any of the good predictions. Well, I guess we are moving to hybrids, and greener houses, but globally, it's just not happening yet.

We're not going to fully change as a planet until something really fucking major happens. When that happens, will it be too late?