The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Movie = Y: The Last Man

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #126674  by SineSwiper
 Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:52 pm
http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=35522

We're reading this series right now. I'm finished book 6 and Shellie's on Book 4. Excellent stuff. Superb character development, and really touches on the many what-ifs surrounding that kind of scenario, including a lot of dynamics around sexuality.

I was hoping for a series, but a trilogy could work.

#126677  by SineSwiper
 Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:43 pm
Other interesting graphic novel ideas:
Wikipedia wrote:Co Creators Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson have been approached about making a Transmetropolitan movie over the past decade. Patrick Stewart's Production Company 'Flying Freehold Productions' offered to option the rights in February 2003. Later the burgeoning Internet boom lead to an offer to create a web animated film series, with Patrick Stewart providing the voice of spider Jerusalem, but the project never fully developed. Ellis and Robertson have indicated that they would like to see Tim Roth play the character of Spider Jerusalem.
Ha! Wouldn't that be great to have Patrick Stewart mouthing off drug-addled obscenities a mile a minute?

Also, they were working on a Preacher for HBO, but the new head didn't like the dark tone (WTF?!) and that fell apart. Not sure where it'll get picked up.

#126688  by Chris
 Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:34 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Other interesting graphic novel ideas:
Wikipedia wrote:Co Creators Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson have been approached about making a Transmetropolitan movie over the past decade. Patrick Stewart's Production Company 'Flying Freehold Productions' offered to option the rights in February 2003. Later the burgeoning Internet boom lead to an offer to create a web animated film series, with Patrick Stewart providing the voice of spider Jerusalem, but the project never fully developed. Ellis and Robertson have indicated that they would like to see Tim Roth play the character of Spider Jerusalem.
Ha! Wouldn't that be great to have Patrick Stewart mouthing off drug-addled obscenities a mile a minute?

Also, they were working on a Preacher for HBO, but the new head didn't like the dark tone (WTF?!) and that fell apart. Not sure where it'll get picked up.
there are a bunch of great ones coming. currently I can't wait for Whiteout. Fantastic book and they actually used the guy who wrote it as ne of their writers. I can't wait for that one though.

Y looks ok. I just don't know if his ideas are very feasabe for hw he wanted to change it. (Fuck wait till you get to te end Sine....just an amazingly beautiful ending. It's brilliant. it really is. god tht series was amazing.

Another movie that's been kicking around lately is Garth Ennis' superhero epic called the Boys seeing as how the main character is pretty much just simon pegg.

there are a lot more.....David Fincher is doing Torso which was a great book. way too many.

#126695  by Shellie
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am
I love love love Y! Yorick is a great character, you can't help but like the guy.

I'm liking Transmetropolitan as well, and I'm gonna start reading Fables too..

We're pouring all our money into the local comic shop..damn you Chris! Got any other suggestions? :)

#126700  by Chris
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:39 am
Seraphina wrote:I love love love Y! Yorick is a great character, you can't help but like the guy.

I'm liking Transmetropolitan as well, and I'm gonna start reading Fables too..

We're pouring all our money into the local comic shop..damn you Chris! Got any other suggestions? :)
I already pointed you towards fables which is one of my favorites. you aren't huge on the superhero stuff......let's see....I'll go recent but also series' that have been going long enough to have more than one trade and are easy to catch up on.

DMZ - Think real world politics. the war in IRaq pissed enough poeple off they started the free states movement and well....second civil war. the series takes place in manhattan which is a DMZ. politics, terrorism, violence, opression, fear, and damned great writing. Brian Wood is a fucking Genius. Amazing series.

one Original hardcover novel I would recommend to anyone is Brian K Vaughn's (Y The Last man) Pride of Baghdad. it's an original self contained graphic novel about essentially lions that escape from the baghdad zoo after the US storms in. sounds strange but it's absolutely amazing and beautiful. I love BKV. at this point he has done no wrong in comics.

Criminal - Ed Brubaker - It's gritty noir. and it's brilliant.

Sleeper - Ed Brubaker - see above but have it also take place in a superhero universe. (Also movie related as tey have been trying to get it off the ground for a while and finally have some traction)

The Exterminators - Simon Oliver - another vertigo book. it's finished up now and I wish it culd have gone longer before it got cancelled. absolutely brilliant story about....well......exterminators......and ancient beetles taking over the world....

I could go on with great stuff. vertigo is putting out some amazing stuff right now.

One I would highly highly highlty highly re commend is Greg Rucka's Queen and Country from Oni Press. it's being released in sweet bigger collections right now but it's MI-5 how it should be. flat out spy espionage action from the british secret service. fucking absolutely brilliant. one of my favorite books out there.

as I said before the whiteout book sare pretty good.

if you like pure unadulterated fun the Scott Pilgrim series which is on book four is a funny creative romp through nerddom about a boy who loves a girl but in order to keep dating her he must defeat her 7 evil x boyfriends, silly crazy but downright fun as hell. also from oni press.

I could go on.

really I have ways to turn you on to te more superhero stuff but for now I'll go the roundabout way to turn you into my kind of nerd....

#127057  by Lox
 Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 am
I just picked up the 1st 3 TPB of Fables. I can't wait to dive in!

#127103  by SineSwiper
 Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:28 pm
I ordered the last 4 books of the Y series last week, and the damn things still haven't come in. Fucking slow USPS.