The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• GTO (new)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #137876  by Don
 Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:47 pm
Recently GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) started serializing again, and it's the same old stuff about Onizuka solving problem of a bunch of really good looking teenagers.

I've found GTO tend to be very polarizing in fan support. Either you think it's awesome or you think it's garbage. I think it's because it is both at the same time, and because the GTO swings very wildly on both spectrums that it amplifies both the good and the bad.

So far the new serial seems to start off on the bad end, or perhaps the good end depending on your taste. Right now we see your generic super cute Japanese girl talking like some kind of uber gaming geek ("I summon the power of darkness!") It's probably not a surprise Megatokyo has Largo in the role of Onizuka ala Great Teacher Largo. This is one of the part I hate GTO the most, but probably the stuff makes it loved by others: it basically tells you that you can pickup a super cute anime like girl if you're an uber gamer because super cute anime girls apparently worship nerds, as this is invariably the outcome in GTO. It's one thing people who are into anime/manga tend to have a stereotype as being a closet nerd and all that. It's another to have a something that basically tells you it's okay to be a closet nerd because all the hot girls like that. I think it's down right insulting.

So it might sound like GTO has nothing good, but that's not exactly true. In the original story one time there's this your generic nerd gamer guy going on a date with his hot girlfriend in a ghost house, and while the girl is totally scared, the nerdy guy is like "You don't know what's scary until you played Resident Evil in the dark!', and that actually sounds believeable. Of course here at the end the girl just decided that not everyone who plays video games are totally useless nerds, as opposed to being enthralled with her boyfriend's ability to play video games. For the most part, the story in GTO isn't bad, and you can even say it might be quasi-useful as a lesson on life, except the part about playing games gets you all the super cute girls you want. Unfortunately, the latter part really messes up the enjoyability of the whole series.