The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Yugioh - a curiousity

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #144201  by Don
 Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:19 pm
I remember reading a long time ago that Yugioh's author was one of the richest guys in Japan, since it's basically like Pokemon for slightly older guys and a license to print money. So you'd expect something this mainstream to fit all the standard cliche and stuff, but it really doesn't. Well of course there's the friendship and stuff, but Yugioh violates one of the fundamental principles of Anime/Manga. Just about every Anime/Manga out there tends to be about heroes who are doing things way better than you can possibly do, whether it's ninjitsu, solving crime, magic, tennis, cooking, or throwing fireballs.

But Yugioh isn't like that. If you have ever built a deck in Magic the Gathering you're going to be a living legend squared in the world of Yugioh. For example, let's say in MTG you have a 2/2 creature, and your opponent has a 1/1, and he attacks with the 1/1. Do you assume:

1. The guy probably has something like a giant growth or at least something that'd enable his 1/1 to beat your 2/2.

2. The guy was probably just crazy.

While most people in real life would go with #1, in Yugioh you'd go with #2. Half of the time it'd turn out the other guy really is crazy, and always act really surprised when the other guy whips out a giant growth the other 50% of the time.

Yet ironically I think that's what makes Yugioh good. It's because everyone in the game is ludriciously bad at the game they play that it is no longer possible to have any plot inconsistency. You don't have to wonder why doesn't Yugi just do X instead of Y and he'd win, because you already know he's a moron and so is everyone he's playing against. Kaiba decided to play blind instead of going by strategy against Pegasus, and I'd say playing blind was a more effective strategy than whatever he was doing regardless of who is opponent was. Whereas most manga, even stuff for kids, have to occasionally answer question regarding internal consistency, you don't need such things when you're in a world of morons.

In some sense Yugioh is like Saint Seiya, which is focused on fighting but death is so irrelevent you stopped caring if a guy who got killed 5 times just magically comes back to life without any explanation. It's just what they do, and once you realized death doesn't mean anything to the main characters, the story is surprisingly consistent. Every fight is a battle to the death, and the main characters probably really did all die 5 times a piece. It's just when the next fight starts they're magically not dead anymore.

#144225  by RentCavalier
 Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:47 pm
Yugioh the Abridged Series killed what little dignity the show still had.

#144227  by Don
 Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:13 pm
The abridged version is actually spot on regarding how bad these guys are at the game they're supposed to be world-class professionals. For example some of Kaiba's quotes from the abridged version:

"I am going to do something nobody has ever done before: learn the rules of this stupid children's card game."

"Everyone knows you need to sacrifice 3 creatures to summon a God card, so there's no logical way anybody can summon a God card on the first turn. But I am Kaiba Seto and I don't have to obey these rules, so I'll start my first turn by summon Obelisk the Tormentor!"

And while you can say maybe the author is just really that bad, I think halfway around Yugioh the author realized that he really doesn't know jack about card games and then the series become a caricuture of his own lack of expertise, and it turned out surprisingly well since writing about people who are way better than you is hard (obviously the guy who did Yugioh is not a real life CCG expert), but it sure is easy to write about a bunch of people dumber than you.