The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Lady GaGa has done it again...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #145016  by SineSwiper
 Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:22 pm
The glasses are made of cigarettes. WTF?
 #145034  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:16 am
That song and Bad Romance seem to be the most played off of her last album; at least around here. Also probably the two biggest songs of the last few months.

It's been a few years since someone with Lady Gaga's "energy" (for lack of a better word) has been at the front of pop-music. With her it's more than just the music.
 #145051  by SineSwiper
 Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:17 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:With her it's more than just the music.
Yeah, it's the fucked up fashion of hers.
 #145308  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:46 pm
Lady Gaga knocked Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" (Which had over 130 million views) out of #1 on Youtube, and in a very short period of time.

Bad Romance has 160 million in 5 months, and rising VERY quickly.
 #145309  by Flip
 Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 pm
Im not a big fan of the telephone one. I have no idea whats going on. Bad Romance and Poker Face were just cool music videos, what is this thing? A movie loosely based on a song?

I'm confused, and scared.
 #145320  by SineSwiper
 Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:18 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:<Youtube picture with GaGa's naked ass>

Bad Romance has 160 million in 5 months, and rising VERY quickly.
DUUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!!
 #145324  by RentCavalier
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:29 am
She's Marilyn Manson for girls. He did it better, ten years ago. And that video is fucking WEIRD, but not in a good way. It's incongruous, filled with ersatz and random imagery that adds up to nothing but half-baked statements about utterly nothing at all.

Which is precisely what Lady Gaga is. She's a nice voice with some dance moves. In three years, she'll be as outdated as Bjork, and then she'll have nothing.
 #145328  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:47 am
I think she's more like a cross between Grace Jones and Madonna in terms of style.

I don't really see any similarities between her and Marilyn Manson; no idea about Bjork.

Anyway, I think she'll be around for quite a while. She does have an obscene amount of musical talent; and can certainly do just about any genre she wants. If this were 1969 she'd be topping charts with Rock; if this were 1991, she'd be doing the same with Alternative.
 #145332  by SineSwiper
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:52 am

Really? Can't see the connection? Seriously?

Apparently, they both have a crush on each other, too. Surprised they aren't already dating.
 #145333  by Eric
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:55 am
Don't forget the random interweb rumors that she's a tranny. ^_^
 #145335  by Shellie
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:41 am
I was just about to say she's the female Marilyn Manson of pop. I don't get the appeal. Then again, I'm not into that kind of music either.
 #145340  by Kupek
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:46 am
I was completely dismissive of her until Flip linked to this a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUYvWTd6oA

She's extremely talented. Unlike most pop stars, I don't think she's just along for the ride. I think she knows what she is doing; I think she made a deliberate choice to be a pop start and not some other kind of singer or performer. I think she's actually an artist in that all of her fashion and wacky videos - some of which don't appeal to me - are deliberate, artistic decisions on her part. I think she has staying power because of this - I think she has the capacity to continue being creative, much like Madonna.

But, hey! This is the internet where it's cool to be dismissive of people who are good at something.
 #145342  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 pm
Eric wrote:Don't forget the random interweb rumors that she's a tranny. ^_^
Heh, that is acknowledged at the beginning of the Telephone video.

I wasn't too much into her first album, but her second one has some very good songs.

In a year and a half she has 50 million album and singles sales. A very nice accomplishment.
 #145351  by SineSwiper
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:45 pm
Kupek wrote:I was completely dismissive of her until Flip linked to this a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUYvWTd6oA

She's extremely talented. Unlike most pop stars, I don't think she's just along for the ride. I think she knows what she is doing; I think she made a deliberate choice to be a pop start and not some other kind of singer or performer. I think she's actually an artist in that all of her fashion and wacky videos - some of which don't appeal to me - are deliberate, artistic decisions on her part. I think she has staying power because of this - I think she has the capacity to continue being creative, much like Madonna.

But, hey! This is the internet where it's cool to be dismissive of people who are good at something.
I didn't say she wasn't talented. Hell, I really like Marilyn Manson. (Though, his latest work isn't so great.) I was mostly commenting on her fucked up fashion sense.

To me, she's an instrument in the wrong band. I don't like pop music, but she could fit anywhere. The problem is that you can throw a stick into a random crowd and hit a good singer. Just go to American Idol and pick the top 50 people there. Never mind that billions show up to try out, many of which are also good. To me, the "good singers" are the ones who go out of their way to be unique. Maybe I just have high standards or something.
 #145352  by RentCavalier
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:52 pm
Kupek, while I agree with you on the Internet being dismissive of people in talent, and I'll say that she's definitely made an excellent start, I honestly DON'T see Lady Gaga having any lasting appeal.

Hell, Marilyn Manson is the one example of shock-artist-musicians who could ARGUABLY have made a lasting career, and that's being charitable, since all but the most rabid of his fans would acknowledge that his stuff has been going downhill ever since he took Twiggy's cock out of his mouth.

Lady Gaga suffers from the same thing every big pop star suffers from nowadays, and that's overexposure. Manson had the added appeal of being controversial, which lent him the support of whatever deviant movement existed at the time. Lady Gaga, for some reason, is widely accepted, embraced, and outright cheered by mainstream outlets, and her bizarre eccentricities are applauded as "artistic" and "edgy" even though most of her work is a random mishmash of downright STRANGE images and scenarios set to synth-pop tunes and really good (but generic for the genre) dance moves.

My biggest issue with her lies in that she doesn't have a MESSAGE. She dresses up in the most laughably random assortment of outfits and proceeds to make some vague statement depending on whatever dress she's wearing. After listening to a good fucking number of her goddamn radio-clogged songs (and if I hear "Poker Face" one more goddamn time...!) and watching a fair number of her music videos, I still don't know what the hell she actually stands for. She has a weird "girl-power" thing going, but then mocks that by mooning us and flashing as much tit and ass as MTV will allow. Ok, so she's mocking objectification. That's well and good, but it's not particularly congruent. She shows just as much, if not more, skin than most female artists today, and her lyrics don't add up to anything cohesive. "Paparazzi"--the one song of hers I actually rather like--is, at face value, a plea for attention from a distant and aloof media, yet her videos and fans seem to think it's a mockery/criticism of the nature of tabloids.

And that's the problem I have with her. She isn't trying to make a point, and her "art" isn't for art's sake. She's trying to get attention, and by god she gets it. She's all we hear, all we see, she's blasted on every magazine cover and her songs and videos get OBSCENE amounts of airtime. So, now that she HAS our attention, what does she do with it? Evidently, not much, but there's still time. If she's been saving the big guns, now's the time to draw them, because I guarantee you, two years from now, her "eccentricties" will stop being quaint and start being grating.
 #145357  by SineSwiper
 Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:36 pm
In other words, she's Andy Warhol.
 #145358  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 am
Does that mean Marilyn Manson is like the male version of Grace Jones then? Grace Jones had messed up fashion long before him afterall.

Marilyn Manson is a pop musician by the way. He just chose to go with the grotesque/Halloween theme instead.

Grace Jones:
 #145360  by SineSwiper
 Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:42 am
Julius Seeker wrote:Marilyn Manson is a pop musician by the way. He just chose to go with the grotesque/Halloween theme instead.
Depends on your definition of pop. I don't see hoards of 13-year-old girls screaming in his concerts, so it's not pop in my eyes.
 #145363  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:43 am
That's only because the thirteen year old goth girls who listen to Manson are too depressed, not energetic people.